Page 95 of 106 FirstFirst ... 4575858990919293949596979899100101105 ... LastLast
Results 1,411 to 1,425 of 1576

Thread: Dark Souls

It's probably mostly true. But some of it depends on your play style and the type of build you have. Aldrich can wreck certain builds, or certain play styles, especially if you're new to him. Pontiff Sulyvan is one I'm still not confident of while going in, and I honestly can't remember if I've solo'd him yet or not (there's 3 NPC summons outside and they're just too tempting). And The Dancer works a lot like Aldrich, she can easily catch certain builds or styles off guard, and there's plenty of videos out there that showcase how off rhythm her style is, so its pretty common that she throws most people off their game once or twice. But mostly yeah, Nameless King is the beast to beat. Though unlike O&S he's optional, and I'm not sure O&S were designed to be "the fight". Nameless King was designed to be "the fight". So it probably doesn't resonate quite the same. There's no easy parallel in the game that I can think of. Plus there are DLC fights that are contenders

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Scruffington View Post
    So is there an equivalent of Ornstein & Smough in Dark Souls III? Is there any boss that really stands out as the Big Bad of DS3 for its difficulty?

I was told the Nameless King is pretty challenging, but I want to hear what everyone else thinks is the toughest DS3 boss. :P
    The closest thing to an O&S style fight is in the recent DLC, with a battle between two demons with very different styles that keep you on your toes. In terms of a gank fight, there is a really clever one in the main game proper, but it's a bit of a subversion on gank fights and from what I hear, not particularly difficult.

Nameless King was the toughest, but I believe the last DLC pretty much brought a few fights that knock him down a few pegs. Two of the bosses are basically DSIII's versions of Artorias and the Black Dragon from the DS1 DLC.

Not considering DLC, the difficulty of bosses in DS3 depends on a lot of factors - whether you summon help (makes most much easier, obviously), what order you do them in, and what your build is.

I've played ds1 dlc and ng+ and have to say I am glad I chose the game to begin with. I'm now on ds2 and I have tp eat my words on how much doubt and critism I gave it. Because somehow I actually like it. It can't compare to ds1 but It is fun and I just find it different and interesting. I am in my way in completing it but before I do i must get the dlc. I have been wanting to play demon souls and bloodbourne but I'll have to have ds3 out of the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Bri View Post
    I've played ds1 dlc and ng+ and have to say I am glad I chose the game to begin with. I'm now on ds2 and I have tp eat my words on how much doubt and critism I gave it. Because somehow I actually like it. It can't compare to ds1 but It is fun and I just find it different and interesting. I am in my way in completing it but before I do i must get the dlc. I have been wanting to play demon souls and bloodbourne but I'll have to have ds3 out of the way.
    Yeah, I feel the exact same way as you do. DS2 initially feels different...REALLY different. But that's only because you get to be so familiar with the original Dark Souls. As soon as you push through that uncomfortable feeling, the game actually becomes quite enjoyable.

Pull my Devil Trigger!

Yeah, I didn't enjoy it until my second or third attempt. And I didn't like Dark Souls until my second or third attempt either. I still don't like it the way most people do. I appreciate what it brings to the table, but there's a lot of things that bother me, and Dark Souls 2 has a lot of things that bother me, but they're completely different things. They're extremely different games. And they both bring fantastic things to the table, but they're completely different fantastic things. DS1 has much better art style, lore infusion, and more impactful NPCs and quests. DS2 has much better weapon variety and combinations, dual wielding is legitimately a thing and a really fun thing at that, and the outfit options are ridiculous. Fashion Souls at its highest. And I initially hated the way aptitude and attunement worked with your agility and animation speed, but after a while it made sense. Dark Souls 1 only had an encumberance issue that you could overcome with building up your equip load. But it's much more in depth in 2. You feel like your character is actually becoming more competent the higher your agility gets. And the life gem thing got a lot of criticism initially, coupled with the fact that it can sometimes take forever to garner enough estus flasks to survive long runs on. But after playing Bloodborne and coming back and treating life gems that way, like a band-aid in a desperate situation, it worked a lot better. Save estus for safe times to recover, but life gems are where it's at. And many people still hate that, but that's how it was apparently meant, and when you don't fight that system, its a lot better

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Finally getting around to finishing a dark souls playthrough.

All I'm gonna say is smurf Gwyn. Almost beat him one time then got smurfed every other time.

Quote Originally Posted by Slothy View Post
    Finally getting around to finishing a dark souls playthrough.

All I'm gonna say is smurf Gwyn. Almost beat him one time then got smurfed every other time.
    After playing ng+ I take my time with him and practice parrying. Then when I can't beat him I'll summon solaire and a friend to help Grampa Gwyn is tough though for sure!

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yeah, being my first real full playthrough Solaire is most assuredly dead. Wish I could summon him though. I try to do the parrying when he does his combo of horizontal swings. Block the first hit, parry the second, stab him in the face, repeat. It's mostly all the other moves that get me eventually. The one time I did get him doing that combo most of the time I was one hit away from beating him when I died. I swear I almost cried. Just a matter of time though.

What type of character are you playing as?

I agree! Only a matter of time. Yes Sunbro is definitely an Npc you must try and keep alive to get help not unless you're the type to just carry out on your own ( I'm not for sure lol ) I do have to say that O&S, DlC bosses and Gwyn are the ones I look foward to every time! I try to get summoned alot for all of them just cause.

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Vyk View Post
    What type of character are you playing as?
    I went heavy in strength, a bit of dexterity and roughly equal amounts of vitality and endurance. Running around in black knight armour with a black knight shield and sword and havels ring to keep me under 50% equipment load.

Actually remembered I hadn't done the dlc stuff so taking a break to do that at the moment. But I'll get back at Gwyn soon I'm sure and get the parrying down.

Gwyn may seem easy after a go with a couple particular bosses in the DLC

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

You never know. Even the sanctuary guardian took some practice. Made it to Astoria but do not have time for that tonight. Back at it tomorrow.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Artorias is easily one of my favorite fights in DS1.