Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Starting this game soon! :D

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Default Starting this game soon! :D

I'll be getting a nice desktop sometime next week probably, and I'm def playing this gaaaaame!

I know I want to be a dragon gurrrl.

But, I'm curious, as we have a lot of members who are obsessed with this game (hi, BoB, hi Matt):

What are some things a noob to this game should know?
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

FFXIV Character

Caedus Ulvein (Sargatanas)

Aw yis. Another newbie. I will wait for you to hit 20 and then we can party up

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by Jinx View Post
    I'll be getting a nice desktop sometime next week probably, and I'm def playing this gaaaaame!

I know I want to be a dragon gurrrl.

But, I'm curious, as we have a lot of members who are obsessed with this game (hi, BoB, hi Matt):

What are some things a noob to this game should know?
    Check out the "FAQ in progress" for a lot of useful information, particularly when first logging in, picking your data center and creating your character. After you've done all that, check out the FAQ bits for chat, so you can get a basic understanding of how to communicate with other people in the game. From that point onwards it's really pretty much "read what you want, ask what you want in /fc chat".

Other than that, what else... uhm... oh, get TeamSpeak. Search for the TeamSpeak thread in this forum for a guide on downloading it, installing it and configuring it. I think you might still have it from when we did the Ciddies using TeamSpeak that one time.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

On this computer, yeah, but I'm gonna be getting a new one. I'd planned on Teamspeak, only because IMing while playing games is really hard.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Nope (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I will probably top up my account when you join and send you useless in game troute.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Night Fury View Post
    I will probably top up my account when you join and send you useless in game troute.
    It's your dowry for when we wed.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Have you ever played an MMO before? If not that's probably for the best because when I first started it up I found some of the UI stuff, particularly cosmetically, to be pretty annoying compared to games like WoW or tOR. So if you have played any of those games try to go in with an open mind to the aesthetics of the game. I wasn't sure what to expect and found myself let down by some things, so it was like a small barrier to get over right at the get go.

Aside from that just be prepared for usual MMO stuff. maybe 10-20% of the time that you solo queue you're going to get grouped up with a real asshole and they will absolutely ruin a dungeon for you. Try to set goals for yourself that are separate to hitting the level cap. Maybe you're going to really focus on saving for a mount, or you want to try a bit of every class. Just something that can alleviate the dullness of grinding.

Mostly I'm just tempering your expectations. If you're able to level the whole way up with some friends you'll most likely have a lot of fun and it'll make it go pretty dang quickly.

The King's Shield The Summoner of Leviathan's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Patroclus Menoetius (Sargatanas)

You might want to just get the base version before getting the expansion pack if you don't know if you'll like it. Downside is you cannot be an Au'ra/dragon lady if you don't have Heavensward. Otherwise all the content from the expansion is story/level locked. This means the new jobs introduced in HW as well are gated by the 2.55 story. If you think you will like it and play a lot, then just go for it (I know you are good friends with Shauna and Matt and both play the game quite a bit).

Starting class doesn't really matter because once you reach level 10 and do your class quest you can change class by changing weapons. Also, none of the races have any significant or impactful stat differences so just go for aesthetics!

Oh and essentially he whole game is a giant tutorial until you hit 50 as far as mechanics are concern. Once you hit 50, most jobs have a full selection of skills and you really get a feel for them.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by The Summoner of Leviathan View Post
    You might want to just get the base version before getting the expansion pack if you don't know if you'll like it. Downside is you cannot be an Au'ra/dragon lady if you don't have Heavensward. Otherwise all the content from the expansion is story/level locked. This means the new jobs introduced in HW as well are gated by the 2.55 story. If you think you will like it and play a lot, then just go for it (I know you are good friends with Shauna and Matt and both play the game quite a bit).

Starting class doesn't really matter because once you reach level 10 and do your class quest you can change class by changing weapons. Also, none of the races have any significant or impactful stat differences so just go for aesthetics!

Oh and essentially he whole game is a giant tutorial until you hit 50 as far as mechanics are concern. Once you hit 50, most jobs have a full selection of skills and you really get a feel for them.
    I'm actually planning on getting the expansion and being Au'ra! I've played MMOs in the past and enjoy them. I might not be GOOD at them...but I have fun.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

If you are having fun, you are good at them. Not the other way around.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

FFXIV Character

I'm actually planning on getting the expansion and being Au'ra! I've played MMOs in the past and enjoy them. I might not be GOOD at them...but I have fun.
    WE CAN BE AU'RA BUDS!

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    Truer words have never been spoken.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    And you will never hear anything to contradict that so long as you never ever enter a dungeon solo queued. If you do that you could be having all the fun in the world and some 14 year old will still tell you how bad you are.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

WE CAN BE AU'RA BUDS!
    ALREADY HAVE MY NAME PICKED OUT AND ERRTHING

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

I generally find that most people stay silent during dungeons etc, unless things are really going bad. Which they have to be going really bad for people to speak up. But jerks will be jerks and you just gotta brush it off.

And besides, where we can help it you won't solo queue anything so we will be the jerks.

FFXIV Character

Yeah it is annoying that like 90% of pugs are silent. Like I wanna talk and be silly, not bore myself while healing!