Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Your sentimentalism is irrelevant in the grand scheme of things. Your existence is futile and finite.

Quote Originally Posted by escobert View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Galuf View Post
    EoFF war II

the war that split the site. came just after the first war.

is. soup. a. drink? (or Værns one, is Cereal a salad)

Pop vs Coke vs Soda was always a good one.
    Wow yeah. I thought this was funny, but it really reminds me of the weirdly heated arguments people had over whether they stood up to wipe their butts, or stayed seated to wipe after a poo

Or the OTHER weirdly heated ones guys had about whether they unzipped their fly and pulled their junk through their boxers to urinate, or undid their belts and pulled their pants out and forward

(Real EoEO arguments. Very sad)

Also I think it would be funny if in the remake they dubbed the dialog twice and gave a section to choose a reference where she's like "Hi, my name is:" and a dialog pops up and you can choose between the two, so that heathens can choose whatever they like, and the internet can rage and rejoice together and watch the world burn

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Vyk View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by escobert View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Galuf View Post
    EoFF war II

the war that split the site. came just after the first war.

is. soup. a. drink? (or Værns one, is Cereal a salad)

Pop vs Coke vs Soda was always a good one.
    Wow yeah. I thought this was funny, but it really reminds me of the weirdly heated arguments people had over whether they stood up to wipe their butts, or stayed seated to wipe after a poo

Or the OTHER weirdly heated ones guys had about whether they unzipped their fly and pulled their junk through their boxers to urinate, or undid their belts and pulled their pants out and forward

(Real EoEO arguments. Very sad)

Also I think it would be funny if in the remake they dubbed the dialog twice and gave a section to choose a reference where she's like "Hi, my name is:" and a dialog pops up and you can choose between the two, so that heathens can choose whatever they like, and the internet can rage and rejoice together and watch the world burn
    You forgot about the argument of peeing in a shower.

Anyways I was first told her name was aeris. It was how she was born and it was how she died. I didn't even think Aerith was an actual thing until KH.
    Marcus
    "No cloud, no squall shall hinder us!" - FF9

Games completed - 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10, 10-2, 12, 13, 13-2, 13-3 Tactics, Tactics Advanced, Crisis Core, Dirge of Cerberus, KH, KH2, And played 11.

If Square wanted her to be "Aerith", why didn't they change her name when they updated the rest of the translation?

When FFVII was released on PC, it featured a redone translation that removed all the typos and minor mistakes of the original (including "off course" and "this guy are sick"), corrected things like the Xenogears Easter egg, and...left her name "Aeris".

They had plenty of further opportunities to update both the PlayStation and PC versions over the years, as both have had numerous rereleases, including Greatest Hits versions and Steam/PSN releases.

Her name has always stayed "Aeris". Even when they redid the translation, her name was still "Aeris".

It doesn't matter how much they put "Aerith" now. Like adding Genesis, it's just Square trying to ruin what was once great. You can tell us he was in the Shinra Mansion the whole time. But we played the game. And we know what really happened. Just a terrible retcon attempting to ruin the story. Just like "Aerith".

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

How is it bad? it's not like with Genesis, where the thing is just legitimately bad fanfic stuff. Here it's just a name that you think sounds worse because you were exposed to the wrong one first. You think it sounds like you have a lisp only because you were used to an s there that was not supposed to be there. And really, assuming SE has this evil intention of ruining everyone's childhood memories - why would they do that? Do you seriously think they just want to trout all over the fanbase?

And please, don't start on the whole "retranslation" business. I'm a translator who has worked in game translation as well, so trust me, that was nothing of the sort. They changed nothing but typos. Had they wanted to "update" the game, fire 2 would become fira, and so forth. They changed no proper names, only the spelling and grammar. So I'm sorry, but your argument is completely moot.

Aerith was there from the beginning. As several people have mentioned, it's even in the game's code.

Not to forget they did also not fix mistranslations of enemy names and moves. So at this point this is just being stubborn. And those who say "we all know what happened" but deny Genesis flat out do not know and is as wrong as me not having written this post.

And as Fynn said, Fix != Retcon.

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

I like how this keeps winding down, and then someone gives the whole argument another kickstart.
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

More like Trollnet. I cannot believe that I even answered again.

If Square US and Europe decide to bring in a version with VAs "Aeris", then they have officially decided to give her that as an actual Western name - and the chance for that happening in the remake is very low.

I think Lilith is a pretty name. It ends with a "th" without sounding like s lisp. If the name existed, Lilis would also be pretty I suppose. I have gotten over hearing a lisp in my head when I think about the name Aerith. It can happen. Though I do prefer Aeris in a straight on comparison without any of the context and reasons behind Aerith being what it is. It reminds me, and reminded me the of Teiris from Dragon Force. A game I spent dozens of hours with. And even now if I think about the possibility of the name Teirith, I don't think its a horrible lispy derivative

Quote Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
    More like Trollnet. I cannot believe that I even answered again.
    I know. I can't believe it either. I mean, you completely ignore the post which proves a major assertion you made to be 100% a lie, then come back to respond to one which is more subjective.

If Square US and Europe decide to bring in a version with VAs "Aeris", then they have officially decided to give her that as an actual Western name - and the chance for that happening in the remake is very low.
    So now we know what YOUR standards for an "official" name are. Apparently, you only accept things as canon which have voice acting. So I guess you're still waiting to PLAY Final Fantasy VII.

It's such a shame that you're missing out on so many great games because of that. I mean, most people will argue that Chrono Trigger or FFVI are superior to FFVII, and yet neither of those have any voice acted dialogue at all. So I guess nothing about them is "canon" to you.

Games existed before voice acting. I'm not about to dismiss the original game just because the original game content (which, even without voice acting, made it the largest game ever at the time of release) didn't have a "voice acting" CD.

The original game used Aeris. That's her name. It's been her name for almost twenty years. And that is all that matters. Her name in the Kingdom Hearts universe? Aerith, sure. But then, in that universe, Cloud is a emo vampire wrapped with bandages, Sephiroth is a figment of his imagination, and Cid is a family-friendly hillbilly. None of which are canon to FFVII.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

You may prefer Aeris, by all means. No one can deny that right for you. But ultimately, and I quote myself, for kicks

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Your sentimentalism is irrelevant in the grand scheme of things. Your existence is futile and finite.
    The intent has always been Aerith, so all subsequent entries recitify that. Sure, a lot of people are nostalgically biased to Aeris and that's fine, but the story, as conceived by the people at SE, has always involved a girl name Aerith whose name got mistranslated, and they are now trying to make their vision clearer, since they have that opportunity. Aeris has been repelled from canon at this point, with Aerith being the one true Aerith, always (as Karifean and Sephiroth noted, it's even in the code of the game that uses Aeris).

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Really I believe you can name the characters in FFVII whatever you want to uh

Aeris is now Rebecca to me.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I think there was one playthrough somewhere on the internet where someone named all the characters Sephiroth. Things got confusing fast

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yeah they were confusing enough with just one Sephiroth