Thread: Nintendo Switch

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Thanks for the information. Yeah, putting a large HDD in the dock and just storing the game you are currently playing on the console unit seemed like a pretty good way to go. Unless Nintendo knows something about the future price of large and fast micro SD cards, this seems like another dumb hardware decision.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post
    Has any console truly found a solution to going digital? Isn't space an issue on all the consoles?
    Space is an issue on all consoles as of right now. Sure, with the PS4 consoles for example the hard drive can be switched out, but even then there are huge file games such as with FFXV for example already being at 50 GB with more content on the way to increase the total. An all digital service on consoles probably won't take place for a long time because it has a lot of cons to it. Not every person has a decent internet speed. It's possible for a digital copy to become useless data if the company that owned it got bought out by another, which may result in your license with the game no longer being of any use. Then there's also the issue of the file still being available to download if need be years after it has been released.
    "I'm seeing it clearer/Hating the picture in the mirror/They claim we inferior/So why the f**k these devils fear ya?/I'm watching my nation die genocide the cause/Expect a blood bath/The aftermath is y'alls/I told ya last album, we need help cause we dying/Give us a chance, help us advance cause we trying/Ignore my whole plea, watching us in disgust/And then they beg when my guns bust/They don't give a f**k about us" 2pac ft. Outlawz- "They Don't Give a F**k About Us"

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

There's actually no real difference in internal storage use no matter how you get the games on PS4. My bloodborne install from disc is as big as the digital download of the game anyway. Having the game on disc doesn't save me any internal storage space. It's really just for people who either like physical items, or who don't have the internet service to download hundreds of gigabytes each month.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Quote Originally Posted by FinalxxSin View Post
    Has any console truly found a solution to going digital? Isn't space an issue on all the consoles?
    Space is an issue on all consoles as of right now. Sure, with the PS4 consoles for example the hard drive can be switched out, but even then there are huge file games such as with FFXV for example already being at 50 GB with more content on the way to increase the total. An all digital service on consoles probably won't take place for a long time because it has a lot of cons to it. Not every person has a decent internet speed. It's possible for a digital copy to become useless data if the company that owned it got bought out by another, which may result in your license with the game no longer being of any use. Then there's also the issue of the file still being available to download if need be years after it has been released.
    Space is not an issue on other consoles. Unless you buy 100% Digital, that's just straight up not true.

I've been using my 500GB PS4 since the 2013 launch. I purchase a physical copy of almost all of my games. I'll usually delete the game data of games I haven't played in months just to keep my hard drive space full. There's no reason to have 10+ games fully installed at all times when you can just delete the data as necessary.

Aside from that, the PS4 keeps all of downloads saved to your account. You can delete/re-download any DLC or downloaded titles as often as necessary.

The Switch's 32GB storage is exactly the same as the Wii U's 32GB edition from 2012. It is proof that Nintendo has stagnated, considering they haven't upgraded the hard drive space at all. It also reeks of Nintendo greed, attempting to cut corners in hopes that the consumers will fork over the cost of the hard drive space on their own.

Pull my Devil Trigger!

Quote Originally Posted by Scruffington View Post
    Space not being an issue for you =/= Space not being an issue for everybody else.

I'd recommend you read up on some of the licensing stories online with digital titles, if you haven't already. They aren't as much of a fairy tale as you may believe them to be.
    "I'm seeing it clearer/Hating the picture in the mirror/They claim we inferior/So why the f**k these devils fear ya?/I'm watching my nation die genocide the cause/Expect a blood bath/The aftermath is y'alls/I told ya last album, we need help cause we dying/Give us a chance, help us advance cause we trying/Ignore my whole plea, watching us in disgust/And then they beg when my guns bust/They don't give a f**k about us" 2pac ft. Outlawz- "They Don't Give a F**k About Us"

As someone who is primarily a PC gamer, the only reason I even buy consoles is because of JRPGs(my favorite genre). However, this system has nothing exclusive that interests me in that realm. Xenoblade II will pale horribly in comparison to this game:

Space not being an issue for you =/= Space not being an issue for everybody else.

I'd recommend you read up on some of the licensing stories online with digital titles, if you haven't already. They aren't as much of a fairy tale as you may believe them to be.
    I've bought several games online, and dozens of DLC. I've always been able to redownload everything.

No idea what you're talking about.

Pull my Devil Trigger!

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Space is not an issue on other consoles. Unless you buy 100% Digital, that's just straight up not true.
    It's as much of an issue if you don't buy digital, as they consume the same amount of internal storage. You can delete installed data from downloaded games just as well as for disc games.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    It's as much of an issue if you don't buy digital, as they consume the same amount of internal storage. You can delete installed data from downloaded games just as well as for disc games.
    I misunderstood, considering I always buy physical games and never had any issues.

This makes the Switch's lack of hard drive storage even worse IF it turns out that Switch cartridges install on the console. It means that you WILL need to upgrade if you intend on playing more than 2 games with the system. What a dreadful decision.

In fact, this goes completely against Reggie's comments that they wanted to sell the system at $300. Not only does that comment not make sense when you consider it comes with no games (making the console useless), but they are also expecting their customers to fork over an additional cost for an SD card because they couldn't be bothered to include more than 2 games worth of space with the system.

I really want Nintendo to succeed but man, they always seem to make boneheaded and anti-consumer decisions.
    Last edited by Scruffington; 01-18-2017 at 01:11 AM.

Pull my Devil Trigger!

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

No, probably not. I can't imagine that the switch will do it the same was as the PS4 does.

The PS4 fully installs all games to the HDD for performance reasons, seeing as optical drives are very slow. A game cartridge for the Switch will undoubtly be significantly faster than the PS4's optical drive, perhaps even faster than the PS4's HDD, so installs will likely not be required.

However, as a person who prefers digital for most things these days (and especially on a portable system. i don't want to bring with me several game carts that i could lose), I'm going to be screwed by the Switch.

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

Yeah, so far everything I've seen and heard about the Switch is a huge disappointment, and that's coming from someone who had zero hopes or expectations to begin with.

For a handheld that's $50 more expensive than the New 3DS XL, and that can play some of the prettiest darn games out there, I'm quite happy with what I've seen so far.

Also, according to those who have tried it, the JoyCons are quite comfortable, even for large handed people.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

I dislike the Idea of the 32GB since it's not a great for purposes of digital games, and I worry about the online.

That said, the system clearly isn't focused for online, they are focusing a lot more on local multiplayer and portability, which is fantastic.

Also, this is real.

https://twitter.com/XenobladeHearts/...05265069387776

Someone at Nintendo deserves a raise.

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Damn. Shots fired. Probably from the NES Zapper, but effective nonetheless.

Not actually a comment from Nintendo, though.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.