Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: FFVII remake battles 'entirely action-based'

Quote Originally Posted by Skyblade View Post

For some reason, there was this really nifty battle system which let you use all your characters at once, direct them all, and make them all useful even when some couldn't hit the enemy (Long Range Materia, anyone?) that had to be abandoned because Square doesn't know how to make good games any more.
    But Turn Based is old and dying /S

Persona 5, who that ?

Also, if anything, that interview just kills the hype even more, as it makes it sound like the AI is either incompetent, or nonexistent. When we switch from Cloud to Barret because Cloud is useless in a melee fight (gee, pity that the fantastic system that let him use magic or other things to augment his weaknesses got thrown out), what is the AI going to be doing with Cloud? Sitting there brooding like the emo teen that Square is convinced Cloud is?
    Think you are misunderstanding what he's saying though, he's saying that bosses are going to have certain weaknesses and you can use tactics to flip between characters to defeat the boss. Cloud is not just going to stand there. Also, materia is still in the game. You could stay the whole game as Cloud, or use strategies with other characters.

Who is the target audience, and how are you going to market this game to them? Because their trailers so far have been, frankly, awful.
    To be honest, the 16-20 crowd. Those who started with Crisis Core, haven't played the OG and think that Zack is some kind of a god and think that Cloud has always been 'emo'.

No, the remake is for the WRPG and Cod crowd, ultimately
    ღმერთის შვილი შეეხო და მითხრა, რომ ანგელოზთა ფეხები მომეხია.

Quote Originally Posted by Squall Leonhart Loire View Post
    No, the remake is for the WRPG and Cod crowd, ultimately
    Hope you're joking.

Well, put it this way. They are going to aim for a very broad audience this time.

That definitely and I think that is not necessarily a bad thing.

When you cater of a very broad audience, you dumb things down. The OG VII itself was streamlined for its time to make JRPGs more accessible than they were before so in this case, while not necessarily a bad thing, is something you know Square Enix can't do and it has been seen in the past countless times with the past

Quote Originally Posted by Squall Leonhart Loire View Post
    When you cater of a very broad audience, you dumb things down.

I would not bet on that. They will not risk anything that might scream immediate trouble.

I am going to sit back and see what happens. To be fair, I won't be buyin any game until Dragon Quest XI most likely.

Quote Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
    That definitely and I think that is not necessarily a bad thing.
    It absolutely is to me. Look at what happened to series like Resident Evil and Dead Space. Dead Space 1 and 2 were phenomenal survival horror games. Then Dead Space 3 happened, a game that ditched the horror elements and themes of dementia of the past titles, and included more action and co-op gameplay in order to reach a broader audience. The game was a massive disappointment both critically and financially.

Resident Evil had the same problem. I personally loved RE5, but at some point Capcom ditched their survival horror roots and instead made RE6 more action-packed and co-op oriented in order to reach a broader audience. It was the worst received entry in the series and even though it sold a lot of copies, it was still a financial disappointment to Capcom.

More often than not, game series that attempt to reach broader audiences end up ditching the parts that made them so successful in the first place. This leaves core fans jaded and uninterested in the series, because the things they fell in love with have been replaced with generic "action" elements. Ultimately the games often aren't compelling enough to bring in new core fans to replace the fans who left.

As much as I love Final Fantasy, I strongly oppose the direction SE is taking the games currently. I don't want 'realism' or constant action sequences. I want the 'Fantasy' to be put back into Final Fantasy.

Pull my Devil Trigger!

FF has always been the JRPG with broad appeal but this is getting out of hand and we don't know if it will be good or bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Scruffington View Post
    It absolutely is to me.

Trying to make something more appealing for more people is not the real problem because it is what keeps the company alive. It is really "how that is made". If they for example listen to much to the fans - what definitely was a thing for FFXV as I say the XIII trilogy already did listen to fans and still kept what they wanted and not "what they wanted that the fans wanted"- then it might lead to trouble but I do not think with Nomura-san this will be the case. He surely has his very own feeling and does care about the fans but it is no the same amount/way.
    Last edited by Sephiroth; 03-10-2017 at 12:55 AM.

I agree then. However part of many changes occur due to wanting more appeal.

I have to say...the more I read about this game, the more devastated I am by these changes.

I honestly feel that my faith in SE is wavering more often than not these days. I don't want to overreact too much considering FF7R is still a long way out and we haven't seen much of it, but the gameplay shown so far is identical to FFXV. And to me, that's a complete travesty. I don't want an FF7 Remake with FFXV or KH gameplay. I want an FF7 Remake with FF7 gameplay.

FF7 wasn't an action RPG. I don't want it to become one. Completely changing the game's genre is not 'remaking' it, it is re-imagining it. It feels like SE is constantly trying to tell the fans what they think they want instead of listening to what they actually want.

Ultimately I really want to be wrong about this. I hope Square Enix can do the remake justice, and that the gameplay isn't be as bad as I expect it to be. But I don't feel very optimistic.

Pull my Devil Trigger!

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scruffington View Post
    I have to say...the more I read about this game, the more devastated I am by these changes.

I honestly feel that my faith in SE is wavering more often than not these days. I don't want to overreact too much considering FF7R is still a long way out and we haven't seen much of it, but the gameplay shown so far is identical to FFXV. And to me, that's a complete travesty. I don't want an FF7 Remake with FFXV or KH gameplay. I want an FF7 Remake with FF7 gameplay.

FF7 wasn't an action RPG. I don't want it to become one. Completely changing the game's genre is not 'remaking' it, it is re-imagining it. It feels like SE is constantly trying to tell the fans what they think they want instead of listening to what they actually want.

Ultimately I really want to be wrong about this. I hope Square Enix can do the remake justice, and that the gameplay isn't be as bad as I expect it to be. But I don't feel very optimistic.
    If SE went with 'what the fans want' they'd get nothing done as FF fans can barely agree on anything.
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

Quote Originally Posted by charliepanayi View Post
    If SE went with 'what the fans want' they'd get nothing done as FF fans can barely agree on anything.
    While I somewhat concede that you can't always give in to fan demands, I believe that ditching the things that they love is a very poor decision.

Also the fans have unanimously wanted a remake for years now. The fact that it's even happening is the result of fan agreement on their appreciation for the game itself.

Pull my Devil Trigger!