Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rank the GFs

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Moomba Rank the GFs

No, not girlfriends, I'm talking about mother smurfing Guardian Forces. I'm going to test your nerd cred. Rank all the GFs available in the game from best to worst and explain why. Let's see how many of you get all of them...

Blog Entries

Best to Worst.

Odin - Kill them all Odin. Gimme Marlboro Tentacles ASAP. There is nothing wrong with this gf unless you are trying to steal or something. He is an instant win and has helped millions of Final Fantasy VIII players around the world. Go Odin!!!

Eden - Due to being the first time ever being able to hit above 9999. Slow animation takes this down from total awesomeness but it still paid its dues.

Bahamut - The king of GFs due to its ability to ignore defense, non-elemental 9999 attack to all. With this GF it becomes easy to kill most non-boss entities.

Phoenix - Oh snap I'm dead. Oh wait... I've used a item to summon a bird who brings me back to life. Game on. it comes at random but it is possible to revive you. If you got two members dead you can use a pinion and cast the summon. Remember though it doesn't always happen when you die. There is a small change. Re-Raise!

Diablos - After a while he becomes useful when he can hit 9999 on creatures in Island Closer to Hell. The only downfall of this new and improved demi summon is that it doesn't always kill smaller class enemies.

Doomtrain - Elemental Defx4 Status Defx4 yes please. For real though if a creature gets hit by this the fight is so much easier. It can gimp a lot of battles but the downfall is it doesn't cause a lot of damage.

Jumbo Cactaur - After a while he becomes good by also dealing 10,000 damage at level 100. Still it takes time to level him up as well as he only does 1 HP over what Bahamut and Diablos does. Also Note though Cactaur is basically the 2nd hardest hitting GFs in the game.

Cerberus - Double and Triple are good to have. It makes casting for buffs so much more easier. My main use of Cerberus is his junctions. The fact that he does 0 damage and give you an ability to use double cast and triple cast only makes it harder to keep magic. I don't know anyone who likes using all their magic but I know a lot who hate to draw it.

Siren - I really love this GF cause she was one I missed on my first playthrough. Not many people like her cause she does low damage, but her silence effect makes any Behemoth useless.

Gilgamesh - Give me back Odin! Or quit using Excalipoor! However this creature isn't entirely useless but not as great as Odin. I heard he has a higher shot at killing bosses but I don't like to use him. he kills disk 4 more so.

Carbuncle - Can't be silenced? Only casts magic? Go get 'em Carbuncle. Edea is the first boss and Carbuncle wins it for you. Don't worry though he does 0 damage and is cute. However he is sometimes worthless.

Tonberry - This guy is a joke of a GF. The tonberry cause 9999 damage on me in a fight but the GF does not go well against enemies.

Moomba - Not really a fan. If there was a goblin punch in this game this is it. You can summon him with an item but those items use to be extremely hard to get. It goes very much so with the optional item summon GFs.

Chocobo - Not a fan.

But the all time hated by me is the 7 elemental GFs you get. They lose their awesomeness after a while. Quezacotl, Shiva, Ifrit, Brothers, Leviathan, Pandemonium, Alexander. They become secondary when you get big damage dealers.
    Marcus
    "No cloud, no squall shall hinder us!" - FF9

Games completed - 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10, 10-2, 12, 13, 13-2, 13-3 Tactics, Tactics Advanced, Crisis Core, Dirge of Cerberus, KH, KH2, And played 11.

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    No, not girlfriends
    There goes the whole idea I had for this post.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    No, not girlfriends, I'm talking about mother smurfing Guardian Forces.
    Shiva can be both things.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Novi Glitzko (Sargatanas)

I never used the GF's all that often. I'll go from my personal experience over who I think is more powerful. This'll be tough.

1. Quezacotl - ~ Card Mod 4ever ~ Spamming Thunder Storm against Fastitocalon-f's for 3 AP each was handy too.

2. Cerberus - The GF that is essential. Summon him at the start and you are half invincible. Great abilities as well.

3. Diablos - Mug!

4. Eden, Doomtrain, Bahamut, Pandemonia, Alexander, Cactuar, Tonberry - Superb abilities.

5. Brothers - Defend command for Omega Weapon.

6. Siren - L-Mag refine. Silence'd mob is helpful too.

7. Shiva - Came in very handy at the start in the Fire Cavern.

8. Ifrit - Used him on ice type enemies at the start.

9. Leviathan - Recover. Offered little else for me.

10. Carbuncle - Insta-reflect was nice for a few fights.

I don't think I used the rest.

Str8 Pimpin'

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Actually attacking with GFs sucks for the most part, using them after disc 1 is pretty much a waste of time, even for Eden. Especially for Eden.

True, Eden gives you a lot of damage, but summoning it takes both extra ATB time and extra real life time. If you've got Zell in the party, he can outdamage Eden by an order of magnitude if you don't suck. Renzokuken deals more than Eden even without a Lionheart finisher, and even if you get one of the shortest renzos (like 3-4 hits). Quistis' Shockwave Pulsar can break 9999 too. I've seen it deal 35k AoE damage in one hit.

Bahamut for being only GF with native ability x4, and also gives you access to forbidden magic refinement.
    Diabolos for enc-none, mug, and both status and time magic refinement. Very useful for acquiring good magic to junction to whatever you need, especially in the early game
    Quezacoatl for Card Mod and the Card command
    Cactuar for enabling multiple permanent stat bonuses upon levelup
    Cerberus for the double+triple party buff.
    Doomtrain for the aoe multi-debuff

Most other GFs have one or two useful abilities though. I wouldn't want to be without most of them.
    Last edited by Mirage; 12-04-2015 at 02:24 PM.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I don't have time to do them all but at the top of the list would be Diablos as he had (I think) ENC-NONE and MUG. Smurf getting into fights when levelling does bugger all.

I suppose Quezacotl would be second due to the CARD MOD ability. It's what makes Triple Triad so addictive.

Articles
    Blog Entries

1. Cerberus, no contest. With Spd-J, Auto-Haste, Status Junction x4 among all kinds of other useful jazz and also being one of the best support summons he's on top of the list for me.

2. Tonberry. Makes shopping a breeze~

3. Quezacotl. Card and Card Mod. Enough said. Plus his summon animation is just classic.

4. Diablos. Mug, Hit-J, Encounter rate manipulation, what more do you want? Maybe the gravity attack that kills any non-immune enemy in a few hits once leveled properly?

5. Odin. I just love this guy. Never getting tired of that slice.

6. Ifrit. Early Strength bonus on level up is always nice. Ammo Refining is quite useful too. And can't forget how much he supports the Triple Triad early game.

7. Doomtrain. Most badass summon and some pretty useful skills too.

8. Eden. Latecomer, but he's pretty dang good nonetheless.

Everyone else is somewhere below. I don't remember enough about them to rank them. Didn't do much to stand out compared to these eight.
    Last edited by Karifean; 12-05-2015 at 11:43 AM.

I'm selling these fine leather jackets Aerith's Knight's Avatar
    Blog Entries

All of them, are you nuts? That would take minutes!

I will make it easier. As the game progresses, let's be honest, we all get a little sick of seeing the same thing over and over and over and over again.

So my ranking is simply from fastest to slowest.

Except for Doomtrain. Doomtrain is awesome.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Aerith's Knight View Post

I will make it easier. As the game progresses, let's be honest, we all get a little sick of seeing the same thing over and over and over and over again.

I never get tired of seeing Shiva naked.

What? Why are you all looking at me like that?

Stop it!

Blog Entries

besides Bahamut Zero this games Bahamut is my favorite.
    Marcus
    "No cloud, no squall shall hinder us!" - FF9

Games completed - 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10, 10-2, 12, 13, 13-2, 13-3 Tactics, Tactics Advanced, Crisis Core, Dirge of Cerberus, KH, KH2, And played 11.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Ayen View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Aerith's Knight View Post

I never get tired of seeing Shiva naked.

What? Why are you all looking at me like that?

Stop it!
    If you just want to see shiva naked, there are a few sites i could point you towards.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Doomtrain is awesome.

I don't even give a smurf about the rest of them.

Ok, here is my list:
    1. Phoenix: Why? because phoenix summon is hard to acquire and the summon scene is so COOOOOOLLLLLLLLLL. Geezz, i just love it.
    2. Doomtrain: yeah, one of the most favorites. watching it inflict doom and silence and zombie and vit 0 and so on never get bored.
    3. Odin: simple because it's kind of surprise when seeing he jump in between the fights.
    4. Gilgamesh: even more surprise when I cannot know what his next move is.
    5. Bahamut: love his origins and his solid position through FF history.
    6. Cerberus: help me get rid of junk spells in my inventory.
    7. Diablos: Fantastic summon scene.
    8. Carbuncle: make the fight with Edea in disk 1 a breeze.
    9. Eden: long summoning time makes the boost ability have some place to use.
    10-19: Alexander, Pandemona, Brothers, Shiva, Quazecolt, Ifrit, Cactuar , Tonberry, Leviathan, Siren: rarely use them in battles.

Twirler of moustaches CactuarKing's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RebirthFlame View Post
    Ok, here is my list:
    1. Phoenix: Why? because phoenix summon is hard to acquire and the summon scene is so COOOOOOLLLLLLLLLL. Geezz, i just love it.
    2. Doomtrain: yeah, one of the most favorites. watching it inflict doom and silence and zombie and vit 0 and so on never get bored.
    3. Odin: simple because it's kind of surprise when seeing he jump in between the fights.
    4. Gilgamesh: even more surprise when I cannot know what his next move is.
    5. Bahamut: love his origins and his solid position through FF history.
    6. Cerberus: help me get rid of junk spells in my inventory.
    7. Diablos: Fantastic summon scene.
    8. Carbuncle: make the fight with Edea in disk 1 a breeze.
    9. Eden: long summoning time makes the boost ability have some place to use.
    10-19: Alexander, Pandemona, Brothers, Shiva, Quazecolt, Ifrit, Cactuar , Tonberry, Leviathan, Siren: rarely use them in battles.
    Pretty much this.

Only thing is I would rank Alexander higher as I loved him.