Thread: Are there any good ways to stand extreme super-leveling?

Banned

Default Are there any good ways to stand extreme super-leveling?

I was leveling up my HP and MP, and I thought I was about to finish it; but then some damn binary numbers show up, and now I'll have to max them out as well.
    And I've decided to max out every FF game.

Do you know any good ways to keep yourself busy while doing it, so you can actually reach all the way up to FFFF/FFF without dying from boredom?

Quote Originally Posted by Peter_20 View Post
    I was leveling up my HP and MP, and I thought I was about to finish it; but then some damn binary numbers show up, and now I'll have to max them out as well.

Do you know any good ways to keep yourself busy while doing it, so you can actually reach all the way up to FFFF/FFF without dying from boredom?
    Um, do you mean hexedecimal? (123456789ABCDEF) Or that the game just went glitchy somehow? Either way, what the smurf man?

Nerfed in Continuum Shift Recognized Member Zeromus_X's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Well, you'll certainly be busy for quite some time then. I believe in the GBA/PS versions the HP and MP cap at 9999 and 999 respectively.

I've always seen powerleveling as a waste of time, unless there's an optional superboss that requires your characters to be maximized (which, there never usually is).

Who's scruffy lookin'? Captain Maxx Power's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zeromus_X View Post
    I've always seen powerleveling as a waste of time, unless there's an optional superboss that requires your characters to be maximized (which, there never usually is).
    9999 numbers make me feel all gooey inside. Who cares if you can kill the final boss with half those values? They still look awesome!
    There is no signature here. Move along.

Yuffie ate my avatar Sefie1999AD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Peter_20 View Post

Are you playing the NES version, with an emulator? In that case, I'd suggest doing what I did since that saved me from getting overly bored of leveling up my characters: use the turbo button that temporarily disables frame limits to enhance the game speed.
    People dislike FFIX because they're horrible idiots. - Kawaii Ryűkishi
    "One-Winged Angel" is far and away the best final boss song ever
    composed.
    - Kawaii Ryűkishi

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Zeromus_X View Post
    Well, you'll certainly be busy for quite some time then. I believe in the GBA/PS versions the HP and MP cap at 9999 and 999 respectively.

In this game, the final dungeon itself is a perfectly good reason to power-level.
    I mean, this Malboro inflicts you with like every status ailment in the whole game from one normal physical attack...?
    And that's on the first floor; you've got lots of more floors to go, and of course they prove even deadlier.

If you're extremely cautious about using magic, you'll still need over 300 MP in order to cure everything on your way through, at least if you, like me, tend to have each character focus on certain abilities = one White Wizard.

But that Turbo Button thing is actually a good idea.

Draw the Drapes Recognized Member rubah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

It seems like I read something about the hp/mp on ff2 changing to binary. Let me look it up!

http://forums.eyesonff.com/final-fan...mum-hp-mp.html

Check out that thread, DJZen claimed to have gotten A230 hp or whatever!

The most HP I've ever gotten on a character was 8200 HP on Gus on the PS Version.

Nerfed in Continuum Shift Recognized Member Zeromus_X's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Peter_20
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeromus_X

In this game, the final dungeon itself is a perfectly good reason to power-level.
    I mean, this Malboro inflicts you with like every status ailment in the whole game from one normal physical attack...?
    And that's on the first floor; you've got lots of more floors to go, and of course they prove even deadlier.

If you're extremely cautious about using magic, you'll still need over 300 MP in order to cure everything on your way through, at least if you, like me, tend to have each character focus on certain abilities = one White Wizard.

But that Turbo Button thing is actually a good idea.
    Many late-game enemies are going to be taking out a good fraction of your HP regardless of how many nines are contained in it; you'd be much better off prioritizing the evasion stat so that you can just dodge attacks altogether.

I'm not arguing that the final dungeon in FFII isn't extremely challenging, but there are always better things you can do with improving your strategies and such than just mindlessly power-leveling. This is true of every RPG.

As for my own maximization method, on my first GBA playthrough, I made use of the Swap trick to power level my characters' HP and MP. It didn't take terribly long, either, although it might take a bit longer in the NES version. It'd probably be faster with whatever method you're using and your emulator's fast-forward button.

I go into a fight, and completely ignore the enemy. Instead, I just use each round attacking myself, and then healing..over and over and over. After EVERY single fight my stats increase. So easy.

Without "pl"'ing, my max HP and MP were 6000+ on Gus and ~500 MP on Maria.