Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Final Fantasy VI: First playthrough!

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Isn't the Opera scene just awesome, that scene right there pretty much made me a fan of the series and got me into RPGs.

Leveling is a bit important if you need it, your real priority should be teaching Fire and Thunder to at least one character (Locke mostly) cause the next major dungeon is filled with enemies that have high physical resistance so magic is going to be your best friend. You will also get access to the nifty elemental weapons. Sabin will need to use Aura Bolt and Rising Phoenix while Edgar sticks to the Flash and Chainsaw. Teach healing magic to someone cause Celes shouldn't have to do all the work since her Blizzard spell is going to be useful.

I would visit the other towns simply just to give you and idea of what the empire is like. Most of the shops are the same but you'll get some good levels from walking to each place. Also steal from the enemies on the world map, one of them has a really awesome helmet for Sabina and Gau to use, and one carries the Dragoonboots which is a relic that changes Attack to Jump. Really useful for Edgar and Mog since they both can use spears and spears do 2X damage with the jump ability.

As for leveling, Strength should a priority for Locke, Magic for Celes, and a combination of the two stats for Sabin and Edgar since their skills utilize both stats for certain tools and blitzs. Ignore stamina, its not that useful. HP shouldn't be a priority but if you don't plan on getting max levels then its not so bad to raise it once and awhile, especially when you acquire some of the squishy mage characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    As for leveling, Strength should a priority for
    Ah, but no Esper he has yet increases strength.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

He's not far from getting one.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

Visiting Vector was a very poignant point in the game for me. It's not a very welcoming place, but it's one of my favourite!

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Just wanted to say thanks for all your help anyway guys, especially Spooniest and Wolf Kanno. Cheers!

Well... what a pain in the smurfing arse Vector/Magitek Facility is. I agree with you Jiro, it is not very welcoming but it is a great looking place.

I spent a VERY long time trying to work out where I should be going. The extremely regular random fights here didn't help my situation. I don't normally get stuck in places for that long as I'm quite methodical but this just took the absolute piss...

I managed to get to a save point after getting the two Espers and hopefully will be through the rest before long. I'll post a proper update when I'm out the other side. I feel a bit embarrassed as I was doing quite well up until this point!

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Don't worry, its pretty straightforward from there on, after you beat Ifrit and Shiva. You even get to meet some new enemies. There is an enemy type called Clapper in the stairway area. It looks like a robot turret hanging from a chain. Make sure to encounter and kill one so you can encounter it on the Veldt cause it has three Blue Magics for your Blue Mage to learn later on. Also, you'll see a room where there are a bunch of giant tubes in a horizontal hallway, check the bottom left corner for a really easy to miss item. Otherwise, I would just make sure you have at least two people with the Cure spell and now that you have Shiva and Ifrit, you can add some -Ra versions of Fire and Blizzard to your magical arsenal, this is going to be important cause you have a tricky fight coming up. Don't worry about getting your ass kicked, the Magitek Factory is pretty much the first major difficulty spike in the game and one of the first major puzzle dungeons.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

I spent so long wandering around to find all the blooming treasure. It's worth it though. Not only do you get some much needed exp, but the items are pretty sweet (iirc)!

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm with you on that, Jiro. Seems like I spent forever wandering around in there... although that was mainly due to my inability to find the right way through! I did find quite a few pieces of top treasure though... a few bits of gold armour such.

I did some levelling up in the desert before hitting Vector (and subsequently a lot of unintentional levelling up in the Magitek Facility!). As a result I've had a bit of a jump in character levels... and more notably, gil! I'll have to find somewhere to splash the cash soon.

Anyway, I'm through Vector and have just had that flashback involving Terra and I've headed for Narshe (which took me a while to find - I may need a better map!). Now I've got the airship, is there any parts of the world that are worth exploring straight away before carrying on? I'm tempted to just crack on though as I'm hooked on the story!

Here's my update...

Progress

Gil: 251212

Edgar
    LV: 26
    HP: 1146
    MP: 376

Sabin
    LV: 27
    HP: 1225
    MP: 346

Setzer
    LV: 24
    HP: 966
    MP: 310

Locke
    LV: 26
    HP: 1156
    MP: 336

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

In the far east of the world map (past Mobliz and the Veldt), is a little town called Thamasa, you'll be going here later but its still possible to come to the town and buy some decent equipment there. Narshe will also have updated its stock in the shops so you'll have plenty to spend on with your hard earned gil. You can also return to Jidoor and find the Auction House has opened up. They sell lots of rare items, including two things called Golem and Zone Seeker which you will want (you'll need 30,000+ gil to get both). There is also a man in Tzen, whose hiding in the north east corner of the town, in the wood area, that has something worth buying as well. So I would go to Jidoor and Tzen before heading towards Narshe and Thamasa.

Also, in Narshe, you'll be given an amusing sidequest if you try to go back to the old adventurers store house where there was one treasure chest you couldn't open. You'll get an amusing run-in from a guest appearance from FFV and a choice that will either land you a really good relic for this point in the game, or a new party member.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

WK is the best for giving hints without spoilers! I like your style, brah.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Aye, He's been a legend so far!

Just quickly did that sidequest in Narshe. I opted to go to the mog first and the other guy legged it. I assume I've missed that item now. What was it?

I think i might regret that but I couldn't abandon that poor mog...

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

It was a Gold Hairpin which, as I recall, is a pretty decent Relic but I never had much of a use for it. You'll be able to pick these up later anyway, so having Mog is my favourite option

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbaforever View Post
    Aye, He's been a legend so far!

Just quickly did that sidequest in Narshe. I opted to go to the mog first and the other guy legged it. I assume I've missed that item now. What was it?

I think i might regret that but I couldn't abandon that poor mog...
    It was the Gold Hairpin, which halves MP consumption for the wearer. Don't worry, you can get another one later (and an even better item as well) so its usefulness is limited to how early you get it like the Gauntlet Relic. If you weren't playing the GBA version, this choice would have been harder to make because in all of the non-GBA versions if you don't pick up Mog then, you lost out on one of his special Dances (a very powerful one I might add) but the GBA version now sets up a scenario to get one more shot at it later.

Still, I feel Mog is the better choice, he's incredibly powerful if you use the right Dance moves. He learns them by fighting in different types of terrain, so you should have his Cave dance from the beginning of the game. now just fight in a city, mountain*, forest, desert, underwater*, plains*, and then much later you can get his final dance, Snow. The terrains with * next to them are exceptionally strong, just remember that Mog does fail sometimes when he does a dance. You should specialize his MAG stat, and since he's the only other character that uses Spears besides Edgar, you can make a him a Dragoon as well.

Congratulations you now have VI's mascot character.

I created a topic somewhere about first time through FFVI. My interpretation of the characters was off. Though I did understand mostly what was going on. Once you've beaten the game at a high level you'll naturally wanna try for faster/lower level next time.
    http://www.youtube.com/Greatermaxim

Terra..................Fight
    LV99...................Morph
    HP9999................All Magic
    MP999.................Item

Vigor 45................R-Hand: Illumina
    Speed 90..............L-Hand: Genji Shield
    Stamina 40...........Helmet: Oath Veil
    Magic Pwr 110......Armor: Minerva
    Bat Pwr 255
    Defense 216.........Relic: Ribbon
    Evade 75
    Magic D 184.........Relic: Economizer
    Magic B 87

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

After successfully managing to move house with maximum stress and minimum free time... I can now finally concentrate on the important thiings in life... FFVI!

Unnecessary panic set in when I couldn't locate my Game Boy Advance. After emptying every single box into the spare room I came to the conclusion that my portable friend was lost... until I had flashback of putting my GBA into the glovebox of the car to "keep it safe".

My quest resumes tonight... update to follow!