Thread: Favorite Story Choices

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Question Favorite Story Choices

Been playing a lot of Tactics Ogre the last few days while staying at a relatives, and I'm still digging the story choices I'm given in this game. In the wide world of gaming, we're sometimes given choices that have a profound effect on the story or game. So what are some of your favorite choices and how do you like game decisions to be made? Are you the type who wants to transform the story by a simple choice or simply prefer something lighter that simply changes minor things in the game. What is your all time favorite story choice?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

The Witcher 3 does this really well with choices that are very ambiguous and have far reaching consequences, and it’s never obvious which one is “right” - usually none of them really are because it’s that type of story. I really dislike games that basically just have an asshole and Samaritan option. SMT is also always really cool about this.

Articles
    Blog Entries

It's enough, isn't it?

>It's enough
    >It's not enough

Just that one choice says so much about what you want in a story =P and of course I hammered the hell out of the lower option.

Edit:

Well to go a bit more into the higher-reaching questions of the topic, as an avid fan of visual novels it's probably no surprise I like choices transforming the story, because ... that way you get an entirely different kind of narrative experience, and one I prefer.

I'll try to explain what I mean. If you're on a linear plotline, the narrative is limited in what it can explore. If you instead get choices that make the story branch out into different directions, you basically get to play around a lot more and see the characters thrown into situations they normally couldn't. You can both enjoy the protagonist living a simple life, and also have them take a far more complicated and gripping route, from the same starting point. It gives you a literal multi-dimensional look into the characters and their personalities by allowing them to be put in different scenarios that cannot coexist or at least have no business coexisting in the same linear plotline.

Then again, Higurashi and Umineko do this without choices though and it's kinda perfect, so I guess it's not exactly necessary to have them to achieve this... lol.
    Last edited by Karifean; 12-26-2017 at 11:00 PM.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Galina Astrum (Ragnarok)

Quote Originally Posted by Karifean View Post
    It's enough, isn't it?

>It's enough
    >It's not enough

Just that one choice says so much about what you want in a story =P and of course I hammered the hell out of the lower option.
    but who was right, karifean, or whoever says "it's enough isnt it"

i dont really have an answer since all the games i play which have choices usually repeat themselves if you say no. except mass effect... uh so im just gonna choose when you have to choose between tali or legion in ME 3 because it was sad when i got there with just under the amount of paragon needed and one of them had to die ;-;

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I generally prefer choices that ill dramatically change the story. By which I mean it moves the plot into an alternate path, not simply change the flavor of the NPC text. Things like choosing to help cure Kid's illness in Chrono Cross or choosing whether to participate in the Balamusa Massacre in Tactics Ogre are far more engaging to me than choosing either an alternate route or text that only changes the scenario on a surface level.

As of right now, the Massacre scenario from Tactics Ogre is one of my favorites because it really changes the dynamics of the story and characters. Not to mention the Law path I'm taking paints the MC in a way you don't really see too often in the medium.