Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tetsuya Nomura breifly talks Remake Battle system.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default Tetsuya Nomura breifly talks Remake Battle system.

In the newest issue of Dengeki PlayStation, Tetsuya Nomura was interviewed about the upcoming World of Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts 2.8 release, and also shared some info concerning KHIII and the Final Fantasy VII Remake.

Quote Originally Posted by Dengeki PlayStation Interviewer and Tetsuya Nomura
    Finally, please tell us more about the Final Fantasy VII Remake that has caught the world’s attention.
    Nomura: If it had past materials like Kingdom Hearts, the basics would have been easy to understand, and the staff can understand the hurdles we’ve had to overcome, but at any rate, the battles in Final Fantasy VII have greatly changed from the original, since they’re something with more action in them. The next time I release information about Final Fantasy VII Remake, I think that I’ll definitely have to explain the specifics of what the battle system has become to the players. I think right now that nobody is really able to imagine a concrete battle, so I’m in the middle of coming up with steps that I can show and explain to people, “It’s this kind of battle.”

Sounds like you’re breaking your backs over remaking what was originally a command-based battle system into an action style battle system.
    Nomura: We’ve heard a lot of Final Fantasy VII fans also say that they want to play the game with the original ATB style, but for the remake we’re proceeding toward an action-heavy style. Of course, we’ve added systems that future fans will be able to enjoy, so people who are bad at action-style battles, please don’t worry. For those who excel at action-style battles, we’re working to make this a system that’s different than what you’ve used before and can still enjoy. Recently, we checked the Guard Scorpion at the beginning of the game, and I think you’ll be satisfied with the realism you’ll feel there.

2017 is also the 20th anniversary of Final Fantasy VII.
    Nomura: Like with the 15th anniversary of Kingdom Hearts, I’m thinking I’d like to plan something or other. It’s just that, since we’ve been keeping busy with productions, including the game World of Final Fantasy that I showcased today, I don’t think I will be able to share any new news until after things calm down.

So the battle system is definitely more action game based than some visual gimmick with a command based interface like say FFXIII's system. Yet it also sounds like the system has a bit more going for it as well. At least the Guard Scorpion fight sounds like it may be pretty cool. It will be also interesting to see what Square has planned for the game's 20th Anniversary.

Source: KH13, Translation by Catherine Mueller (nichiei.translations@gmail.com)

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

It didn't reveal anything. We already knew it was going to be action based when the game was revealed.

I like turn based battle systems and seriously wish SE would stop pretending they were this giant ball and chain holding their older games back from true greatness.

But I also like action games, so I don't mind much. The only thing I hope is that we have the opportunity to control all our party members. Here's looking at you, FFXV. I am not and have never been keen on relying on AI to make the right decisions about a fight.

Articles
    Blog Entries

They mentioned Guard Scorpion and it being 'more realistic'. Is there perhaps a capacity to disable part of the machinery, like the tail to avoid the laser attack. I remember XIII: LR having enemies having their tails chopped off, things like that.

We’ve heard a lot of Final Fantasy VII fans also say that they want to play the game with the original ATB style, but for the remake we’re proceeding toward an action-heavy style.
    I'm not sure he meant to sound so blunt, but that sounds very much like "we hear your feedback and are deciding to ignore it."

Personally I'm fine with it being more action-orientated, but if there's a way to slow down combat or introduce turn-based elements to it, I'm all for that as well. Their vagueness is irritating though.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Galina Astrum (Ragnarok)

I just want to kill sefieroth

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Depression Moon View Post
    It didn't reveal anything. We already knew it was going to be action based when the game was revealed.
    And is that different from any other interview this man has done in the last fifteen years? The man is a master of talking without saying anything. He did it for years concerning Versus XIII.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

SE are very good at saying nothing. xD

I really don't mind it being an action game at all. FFVII is my favourite game ever, but I am keeping my mind extremely open with the remake. I will not assume it will be better than the best game I've ever played, but I do believe it will be the best possible tribute.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Of course, we’ve added systems that future fans will be able to enjoy, so people who are bad at action-style battles, please don’t worry.

People who don't like action-battle styled battles, don't hate it, because they suck at it SE. They just prefer the feeling of ATB more. This interview was just one big massive one finger flip, to those who just simply wanted a ATB battle system.

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post

But I also like action games, so I don't mind much. The only thing I hope is that we have the opportunity to control all our party members. Here's looking at you, FFXV. I am not and have never been keen on relying on AI to make the right decisions about a fight.
    This so much ! Main reason to why I feel like skipping out on FFXV tbh.

I don´t mind the new battle system unless if you are fair with newcomers with the new battle system.
    The One and Only KeybasH.

A Big Deal? Recognized Member Big D's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Depression Moon View Post
    And is that different from any other interview this man has done in the last fifteen years? The man is a master of talking without saying anything.
    This. One of the things that made me lose faith in his creative skill was when I realised he never seemed able to explain what he was doing or imagining. Like the special features on the original Advent Children DVD, where he's mumbling and sniffing his way through a bunch of interviews before deciding that the movie's main theme is 'Cloud is getting older so it's time for a new generation to rise'.

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post

I really don't mind it being an action game at all. FFVII is my favourite game ever, but I am keeping my mind extremely open with the remake. I will not assume it will be better than the best game I've ever played, but I do believe it will be the best possible tribute.
    My apologies then friend. SE is about to ret-con the hell out of your favorite game with a bunch of Compilation nonsense. Chopping up the narrative into parts is also murder on the wallet.

Even worse is that the remake will write over the original canon completely. Pretty much making the original game pointless. This is just messed up. No game deserves that.
    "Repent your sins through death!" - Ramirez - Skies of Arcadia

Quote Originally Posted by Bright Shield View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post

My apologies then friend. SE is about to ret-con the hell out of your favorite game with a bunch of Compilation nonsense. Chopping up the narrative into parts is also murder on the wallet.

Even worse is that the remake will write over the original canon completely. Pretty much making the original game pointless. This is just messed up. No game deserves that.
    ^ Yeah, can see this coming from miles away, even though fans are praying that they won't even dare. SE is all too keen to include things like Genesis.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

People will get their knickers in a twist over Genesis but I can't see them making him be anything central whatsoever.

I genuinely don't care. If this were a fan made game people would be praising the smurf out of it. People get extremely overprotective about their games sometimes. I am just, 100%, looking forward to a tribute to the best game ever. A tribute. NOT the same game. If I wanted to play the same game, with the same text and the same battle system... I'd play FFVII.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Genesis was dumb but he didn't ruin anything. Crisis Core did not become a bad game because Genesis was in it. Besides, Genesis was only important to Zack's arc, not to FFVII main - even if he shows up it'll be in like one or two cutscenes while Cloud's stuck in the lifestream. I think we can probably endure it.

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    even if he shows up it'll be in like one or two cutscenes while Cloud's stuck in the lifestream. I think we can probably endure it.
    Disagree, hahaa I can't stand him.