Thread: What are your hopes for FFXVI?

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default What are your hopes for FFXVI?

Besides being released within two years of it's announcement.

So yeah, it's been almost a year since XV splashed onto the stage and some of us are ready to look into the franchises future. What are you hoping to see most with the next installment?

A finished game with all of the critical story and gameplay content included on release day.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by KleinerKiller View Post
    A finished game with all of the critical story and gameplay content included on release day.
    That might not be happening for awhile.

- Less fan influence from the beginning so it does not need to be influence by fans afterwards to be updated. Just do what you want from the get-go (that does not mean there can be no sequels, et cetera)
    - Yoshinori Kitase as Director, Tetsuya Nomura as Character Designer, Kazushige Nojima as Scenario Writer, Masashi Hamauzu, Nobuo, Uematsu, Keiichi Okabe for the music with Emi Evans as singer
    - An actual villain

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
    An actual villain
    This

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    The mentality that is being talked about in the article is just plain terrible, at least imo. If I play a FF game I play it for the story, the characters, the lore and so on. I couldn't care less for multiplayer games, nor for the "long-term engagement" described by Matsuda.
    To me the long-term engagement comes from investing hours upon hours in a complete FF game, rather than having to constantly buying additional bullcrap to make that game look more complete, more finished and so on. Sequels are fine and welcome (when done properly) since they are complete games on their own - most of the times at least, but this DLC-crap-mentality has to disappear.
    Just focus on ONE thing and make it good ffs.
    FF games played so far: FFIV; FFVI; FFVII; FFX; FFX-2; FFXII; FFTA; FFXIII Trilogy

Currently playing: Kingdom Hearts Re: Chain of Memories (PS3)

Favourite FF games: FFVI; FFXII

FFXIV Character

Arianna Harkness (Sargatanas)

That is comes out in less than a decade? Maybe a few more playable characters would be nice. Or a well-rounded story. Could get behind a set few characters if the story was fleshed out. Maybe less product placement.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    My hopes are the opposite of this.

And, now that it's confirmed that this is Square's mindset, I'm hesitant to buy any of their games, for fear of them being incomplete. Already knew that I wasn't interested in anything Final Fantasy, now I'm hesitant about Kingdom Hearts 3 and Project Octopath Traveler.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

FFXIV Character

Cheese Cocteautwins (Lamia)

I've actually been thinking of this recently. A lot! I'll try to just do bullet points to make it easier to read!

- a return to high fantasy setting

- not open world but "multi-region", i.e. Dragon Age: Inquisition's world model - multiple mini-open world maps you can travel between

- 1 main protagonist, 1 love interest, 6 other playable characters (PC). But you pick just 2 of those PCs before the game starts

- all characters have 2 skill trees

- main protagonist and love interest would have 1 general skill tree each, then 1 choice of 2 trees from the 6 PC classes (listed below)

- the PCs would be 6 distinct FF classes w/ 2 trees fit for those classes (i.e. Ninja would have a stealth/utility tree and a poison/dark magic tree. the summoner would have a tanky summon tree and a support summon tree)

- PC classes would be Paladin, Dragoon, Ninja, White Mage, Black Mage, Summoner. They'd be unique characters w/ their own personalities.

- the WHM and SUM would be Lalafell/Tarutaru type races

- variable party construction adds replayability to the game as each PC would have its own side-story, group/cutscene interactions (even their own possible love stories w/ each other!), and even effects on the last major chapter of the game - skipping bosses, giving buffs, ADDING bosses for better loot, etc - depending on if you finished their side quest. Love interest also has a side story w/ benefits.

- i.e. for the above bullet point, if your save file is you + love + ninja + summoner, the ninja side story could prevent facing the 3rd to last boss in the last chapter and the finishing the summoner quest can provide a huge permanent +mag rst buff to the team. But in your other save file is you + love + Paladin + Black Mage, finishing the Paladin's quest would give the team a +HP% and +def buff, while the finishing the Black Mage quest would give you exclusive access to a boss that drops the best equipment

- in order to keep game replayable, main story would have to be somewhat short - 20ish hours. But the side quests would be 5-10 hrs each. So for a player to experience all 6 PC's stories, it'd be 3 playthroughs of about 30-40 hrs each. But at least each playthrough would be somewhat unique!

- the story would be one of 2 races living in harmony. The generic human race and some smaller Lalafell/Tarutaru race. The smaller race is naturally attuned to all schools of magic, including White Magic. The humans can only practice Black Magic due to genetic/biological limitations. The King of the human race's child is deathly ill and no doctors can help him/her. So the King asks the small race to help, but they are unable to as well. So the King dips into Black Magic, to see if it'll help his child. He either becomes insane or accidentally (not sure which I prefer yet) summons some evil entity who has been hidden in some magical realm for 1000s of years. Now that this entity has returned, he plans to converting the entire world into his evil army in order to go take over other worlds. The adventure begins somehow after that w/ a 2-part main storyline - saving the world from the evil entity and saving the King's child.

- I want to say the main protagonist is a soldier or helper of some sort in the royal household/castle, tho just a grunt, not close to the King. Within the first few hours, the PCs you selected before the game began join your party in their own unique storyline way.

*phew*, ok so that's it I believe. What do you guys think? hopefully it all makes sense. And hopefully Square reads it and contacts me for some consultation!
    - Dr. Cheesesteak

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Hey Square-Enix, remember when you were so shocked that western audiences liked Bravely Default because you arbitrarily decided we didn't like JRPGs anymore? Learn your smurfing lesson.

Hey Square-Enix, remember when you thought that having the best graphics ever was the key principle of game design because it worked 15-20 years ago on the PS1? And it ruined the original FFXIV and is probably a significant contributor to FFXV taking so long to be released? I don't know if you noticed that you've been absolutely hammered in sales by the graphical behemoth known as Minecraft. Learn your smurfing lesson.

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'd honestly just like something in the same vein as the old ps1 games and before. I'd like an over world with a few optional towns and grinding points to explore with interesting main towns to explore as well. I'd like being able to talk to pretty much everyone and have random buildings to go into to discover random crap that could make every play through feel a little different. Ideally, not everyone would be voiced as this would make this more possible, but I doubt square would do that. I'd also like ATEs like in IX and a few side quests with a lot of personality as opposed to a bunch of marks and fetch quests.

I'd like some mini games like the golden saucer and triple triad that I could get into if I wanted. I'd also like a turn based game, but I could handle an action style in a similar style to the Tales games.

Basically, I want Square Enix to make a game like the games that made me fall in love with the series, but I doubt they will. I enjoy the newer games, but I don't feel the desire to keep going back to them like the older ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    Hey Square-Enix, remember when you were so shocked that western audiences liked Bravely Default because you arbitrarily decided we didn't like JRPGs anymore? Learn your smurfing lesson.

Hey Square-Enix, remember when you thought that having the best graphics ever was the key principle of game design because it worked 15-20 years ago on the PS1? And it ruined the original FFXIV and is probably a significant contributor to FFXV taking so long to be released? I don't know if you noticed that you've been absolutely hammered in sales by the graphical behemoth known as Minecraft. Learn your smurfing lesson.
    Everything about this ^

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Hiroyuki Ito. That's all I want.

Let this beautiful man fulfil our desires!

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post

the best thing is that the original ffxiv looked like absolute trout
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.