View Poll Results: Is soup a food or a drink?

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • Food

48 92.31%
  • Drink

4 7.69%
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Soup

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

But you do drink chunkless soup. It's in the science of drinking! You take a liquid into your mouth, you don't have a need to chew, you swallow.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

:monster:

No one drinks tomato soup. What, you take a frakking straw and drink it, BoB? Or slurp it out of the bowl? You're crazy. The civilised world eats it with a spoon. It's time to put away childish things and join the rest of the world.
    Don't delay, add The Pimp today! Don't delay, add The Pimp today!
    Fool’s Gold tlsfflast.fm (warning: album artwork may sometimes be nsfw)

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by The Man View Post
    No one drinks tomato soup. What, you take a frakking straw and drink it, BoB? Or slurp it out of the bowl? You're crazy. The civilised world eats it with a spoon. It's time to put away childish things and join the rest of the world.
    The soup at my work allows you to use either a bowl or a cup. I use the cup, because I drink it at my desk, and you shouldn't drink from a bowl when you're at your computer desk at work!

I do sometimes slurp stuff from bowls, but that's mostly when I have noodles in the soup and am done with the noodles. It's efficient consumption.

Drinking from a spoon is still drinking, by the way. If you pour water into a bowl and use a spoon to consume it, you're still drinking. Hence, you drink soup.

I repeat, you are nuts. The civilised world does not sip soup from a cup.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

What if there is really good soup and you need to take it to your desk but the only way to take it to your desk is in a cup? Would you miss your opportunity to consume some really good soup!?

Also, I think I edited my post when you were posting: Drinking from a spoon is still drinking.

No it isn't. You are the only person in the entire world that ever says you drink anything out of a spoon. The proper English usage is eat soup. No one besides you claims to drink soup, because it is impossible. Soup is a food.

And no I would not drink soup out of a cup, because you do not drink food. That's ridiculous. Restaurants have been known to serve soup in cups, but it is still a food when thus served, because one eats it with a spoon, unless one's name is Lonny BoB.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

No it isn't. You are the only person in the entire world that ever says you drink anything out of a spoon. The proper English usage is eat soup. No one besides you claims to drink soup, because it is impossible. Soup is a food.

And no I would not drink soup out of a cup, because you do not drink food. That's ridiculous. Restaurants have been known to serve soup in cups, but it is still a food when thus served, because one eats it with a spoon, unless one's name is Lonny BoB.
    ...why the hell would you have soup in a cup and then use a spoon to drink it? That's idiotic. I mean, I can understand if there were chunks and you wanted to eat the chunks, but... thin soup? Really? With a spoon? From a cup?

I mean, I don't even...

The question you have to ask about yourself about any dish with liquid contents is: Would any self-respecting restaurant serve this without a spoon? If the answer is yes, then you may have yourself a drink. If your answer is no, then you certainly do not. Have you ever known a restaurant to bring you a soup without a spoon? Ever? I've ordered soup from easily dozens and maybe even hundreds of restaurants, and every single one brought me a spoon. That is because soup is a food that you eat with a spoon, regardless of whether it is served in a cup or a bowl. You do not drink soup out of a cup, unless perhaps your name is Daniel Towns, and that would only be because you have no self-respect. Self-respecting people use the spoons that soup is served with to eat the soup, because soup is spoon food.

And now I want a good serving of soup, which I will proceed to eat, with a spoon, because unlike Lonny BoB, I have self-respect.

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

Having soup served in a cup is pretty common here. It's often for lunch on the go or whatever.

Doesn't make it a drink though. xD

*permanently smitten*
    A Vey Good Friend
    Blog Entries

Grin

Do you guys still throw elections? Can there be a "Soup is a Food" party?

We're actually planning an election right now. If I don't run it myself I'll start one. Though I'm tempted to name it after the Dead Kennedys song I posted above.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

The question you have to ask about yourself about any dish with liquid contents is: Would any self-respecting restaurant serve this without a spoon?
    They always serve soup in bowls because it is considered to be normal to do so, not because it is a requirement. It is also considered to be more respectable because people don't take their restaurant meals 'to go'. For chunkier soups, it may become a requirement, though - it's rather annoying having chunky soup in a cup. But there is nothing wrong with drinking soup from a cup. I expect thousands of people do so every day. In fact, I know hundreds within my building do so every day! The soup here is generally pretty good.
    If the answer is yes, then you may have yourself a drink. If your answer is no, then you certainly do not. Have you ever known a restaurant to bring you a soup without a spoon? Ever? I've ordered soup from probably hundreds and maybe even thousands of restaurants, and every single one brought me a spoon. That is because soup is a food that you eat with a spoon, regardless of whether it is served in a cup or a bowl.
    ...that doesn't somehow magically make it not a drink. Just because you can consume it using a spoon doesn't instantly make something a food. That's kind of silly. Just because it's what society and tradition have dictated to be normal doesn't mean that soup is not a consumable liquid (ie, a drink). This is perhaps one of the weirdest definitions I have ever seen for food - "something that you don't drink from a cup in a classy restaurant". You're so weird, Aaron. xD Coming up with these crazy definitions to try and justify something that has been pushed into your head by irrational tradition. I thought you were a man of science.
    You do not drink soup out of a cup, unless perhaps your name is Daniel Towns, and that would only be because you have no self-respect. Self-respecting people use the spoons that soup is served with to eat the soup, because soup is spoon food.
    There are about 3,000 to 4,000 people in this building and there is always a queue at the soup area, and the cups are used more often than the bowls. It's not because they aren't self-respecting, it's because they have so much self-respect that they don't give two craps what Mr. Man thinks and would prefer to not be using a bowl & spoon at their work desk.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shauna View Post
    Having soup served in a cup is pretty common here. It's often for lunch on the go or whatever.
    Thankyou, Shauna! Some people are so rude to people just because they do things differently. Next thing you know, The Man will accuse every single person in the world but him of not being self-respecting because they are not him.
    Doesn't make it a drink though. xD
    Well, no, putting something in a cup doesn't make it a drink. I could put a screwdriver in a cup but it wouldn't be a drink (or food). I could put milk in a bowl (hi, cereal) but that doesn't make it a food, either (the cereal is food, milk itself is still a drink). When I drink the milk using a spoon, I drink it. I don't chew it! I eat the cereal like I eat chunks of food in the soup. But if it's just the leftover milk after I finish the cereal, I'm drinking the milk, not eating it.

Soup is a drink because you drink it. Sometimes it has chunks of food in the soup, but the liquid without chunks of food is still soup - chunks of food without the liquid is not still soup. It's just chunks of food. So the liquid is the soup. The soup is the liquid. Liquid that you consume is a drink. This is all very simple, I'm not sure why you people can't wrap your heads around the idea of soup being a liquid and consumable liquid being a drink.

Quote Originally Posted by lonny bob
    They always serve soup in bowls because it is considered to be normal to do so, not because it is a requirement.
    I said in the very post you quoted that they don't always serve soup in bowls:
    Restaurants have been known to serve soup in cups
    Did you even read my post? They do, however, always serve soup with a spoon. Because it is a food.

It is also considered to be more respectable because people don't take their restaurant meals 'to go'. For chunkier soups, it may become a requirement, though - it's rather annoying having chunky soup in a cup. But there is nothing wrong with drinking soup from a cup. I expect thousands of people do so every day. In fact, I know hundreds within my building do so every day! The soup here is generally pretty good.
    Then your building is full of weirdos. I know of no one that drinks soup from a cup, because here in America we have self-respect and know that soup is a food for eating with a spoon.

...that doesn't somehow magically make it not a drink. Just because you can consume it using a spoon doesn't instantly make something a food. That's kind of silly.
    I didn't say that because you can consume something with a spoon makes it a food. I said that because something is consumed with a spoon that makes it a drink. And no matter what you say, soup is traditionally eaten with a spoon. Because it is a food. Yes, you can consume coffee with a spoon if you want. But no one does that, because it is not a food, and one person (or even several dozen people) consuming coffee with a spoon would not make it any less a drink just because of the way that person consumed it. It is the exception, just as the people at your work drinking soup without a spoon is the exception. Soup is, in the overwhelming majority of cases, consumed with a spoon by self-respecting people, because it is a food.

Just because it's what society and tradition have dictated to be normal doesn't mean that soup is not a consumable liquid (ie, a drink). This is perhaps one of the weirdest definitions I have ever seen for food - "something that you don't drink from a cup in a classy restaurant". You're so weird, Aaron. xD Coming up with these crazy definitions to try and justify something that has been pushed into your head by irrational tradition. I thought you were a man of science.
    Just because something is a liquid does not make it a drink. You're chastising me for having weird definitions and you yourself are using one of the weirdest definitions I have ever heard. If ice cream melts, is it suddenly a drink? Of course it isn't. Ice cream is a food and so is soup.

You want to talk about science? Take a scientific survey of how soup is consumed. I guarantee the overwhelming majority of respondents will say they consume soup with a spoon, like a food. Because, not coincidentally, it is a food. People don't drink soup. They eat it.

There are about 3,000 to 4,000 people in this building and there is always a queue at the soup area, and the cups are used more often than the bowls. It's not because they aren't self-respecting, it's because they have so much self-respect that they don't give two craps what Mr. Man thinks and would prefer to not be using a bowl & spoon at their work desk.
    What you weirdos in Scotland are forced to do by your work being weird and not giving you proper time to eat soup with a spoon like self-respecting people does not change the way soup is consumed by the overwhelming majority of people who eat it. Which is with a spoon. Whether a dish is served with a cup has nothing to do with whether it's a drink. I've seen solid foods served in cups before. Does that make those foods magically drinks if they're served with cup instead of bowls or plates? Of course it doesn't. Whether something is solid has nothing to do with whether it's a food, and whether something is served in a cup has nothing to do with whether it's a food. Soup is eaten with a spoon. Therefore it is a food.

The simple question you have to ask yourself is: If you were to go out on a date with someone, would you eat this dish with a spoon or would you drink it like a Neanderthal? I know of no self-respecting person who would drink the liquid of their soup as though it were a tea or an alcoholic beverage when in the presence of the opposite sex. It is simply not done. What you weirdos are forced to do by your weird work shifts has nothing to do with whether soup is a food.

Soup is a drink because you drink it. Sometimes it has chunks of food in the soup, but the liquid without chunks of food is still soup - chunks of food without the liquid is not still soup. It's just chunks of food. So the liquid is the soup. The soup is the liquid. Liquid that you consume is a drink. This is all very simple, I'm not sure why you people can't wrap your heads around the idea of soup being a liquid and consumable liquid being a drink.
    You drink it because you have no self-respect. The overwhelming majority of people (i.e. those who have self-respect) consume it with a spoon regardless of whether it has chunks or not, because it is a food.

By the way, in case I didn't mention this before, you're weird.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Nope (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I'm so tempted to abuse my power and close this thread.

It's infuriating me greatly.

Do it. And then ban him for good measure so he can't make a new one.

There are just so many ways Towns is wrong here that I keep thinking of new ones.

Imagine, if you will, that Towns goes out for a meal with five friends. Let's just imagine this scenario:

Server: "Hi, welcome to Derpy's Gourmet Café. May I take your drink order?"
    Friend 1: "I'll have water."
    Friend 2: "I'll have lemonade."
    Friend 3: "I'll have Coca-Cola."
    Friend 4: "I'll have the pinot noir."
    Friend 5: "I'll have coffee with two sugars and half-and-half."
    Towns: "I'll have a nice cup of tomato soup. And you can hold the spoon, thanks."

Which of these people is the server going to look askance at?

Restaurants don't list soup on the drinks menu. Because soup is not a drink. Soup orders are generally taken as appetizers with the rest of the food. Because soup is, in fact, a food.