Page 31 of 32 FirstFirst ... 11212526272829303132 LastLast

Thread: 2009/2010 UK Football Season Thread

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Rather him than Wenger

(yes, I have actually heard Wenger being thrown out there as a possible replacement!)

Blog Entries

I'm calling Liverpool's tumble to the bottom of the table, followed by relegation, now. I'll see you soon, Psy!

there was a picture here

Articles

I look forward to having my posts ignored like any true Championship fan.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Novi Glitzko (Sargatanas)

Kenny D & Mark Hughes are not worthy suggestions. Martin O'Neill is a good manager, and even David Moyes (yes!) would do a great job I'm sure. If O'Neill goes to Liverpool, with James Milner follow?

Str8 Pimpin'

Articles

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Edge View Post
    David Moyes (yes!) would do a great job I'm sure.
    You take that back.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Names I've heard include Hiddink, who wouldn't be a bad shout but I don't think it'd happen, Scolari, who wouldn't be terrible by any means, Hughes, which wouldn't really be any bold statement for progress, and Dalglish, who I don't have much knowledge of. Oh, and Hodgson, which would be a massive shame for Fulham but I suppose such a thing is inevitable.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Articles

I 100% agree with your assessments there... apart from Dalglish. I know a lot about him! He is considered by Liverpool fans to be the greatest player (and given the history!!!!!!!! WE HAVE BEST HISTORY EVER!!!! LFC!!! etc. of the club, that is a high accolade indeed) and was the last manager to win the league with us. He also won the Premiership with Blackburn in 95. Although then he went to Newcastle and Celtic and of course it's all downhill when you go to either of those places, and he's since been out of the management game for 9 years. If you look back to Liverpool's glory days, we achieved success through appointing managers from the "boot room" with a love of the club, and a long record of service, so I don't think it'd hurt to go that way again. Certainly better than getting Hughes or Curbishley or something. Hiddink and Scolari are probably out of our price range anyway, not to mention that Hiddink just signed a contract with Turkey.

Right now, I think I wish Rafa was still manager. This season was a disaster, but he's had plenty of other decent seasons.

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

Anfield's boot room may have brought a lot of success in the 70s and 80s but I'm not sure such a philosophy would work so much anymore, football has moved on somewhat. And wasn't Roy Evans part of that boot room and it's not like he did amazingly well. Mind you I think they should have just kept Benitez, for one more season at least.
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

Do you think Jose Mourinho might change his mind? I mean, is Madrid REALLY that nice a place?

Take care all.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

It will be the greatest place in the world with the best players in the world until another 'project' is proposed to him. He's said it himself - he no SAF, he won't stay with one club for a decade.

EDIT: I thought some of you might appreciate this.

Articles

Randy Lerner would've also been an acceptable second account for that gag.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I find when the ball is by the net soccer can get exciting, the problem is most of the time it's just going back and forth. What type of stats are kept in fantasy soccer (football)?

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Goals, assists, yellow cards, red cards, "bonus points" (given to the top three performers as judged by some panel of people nobody cares about), goals conceded, saves, penalty misses, penalty saves.

Some other fantasy football leagues might cover other things, but not to my knowledge. I find it hard to really appreciate football if you want to watch it without doing something else if you aren't following the team for a long time. I love watching Manchester United because they play "attractive" football, and because I watch almost every game, meaning I've got to know their players. Watching them play so often also allowed me to learn to really appreciate the game of football and how it can be of interest when you actually understand the movement of players etc.

I'm sure it's the same for American football... I mean, I try to enjoy it but I know deep down that I never really will unless I watch games week in, week out. My enjoyment of rugby has even gone downhill since leaving NZ, but I know that when I return that I'll easily get back into things after a month or two of following the Auckland Blues. Although they suck compared to when I left.

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

Opening day fixtures for 2010/2011:

Aston Villa v West Ham
    Blackburn v Everton
    Blackpool v Wigan
    Bolton v Fulham
    Chelsea v West Brom
    Liverpool v Arsenal
    Man Utd v Newcastle
    Sunderland v Birmingham
    Tottenham v Man City
    Wolverhampton v Stoke

Oh no!
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

Articles

FFXIV Character

Novi Glitzko (Sargatanas)

United V Newcastle & Chelsea V West Brom. Both at home. Oh boy, some return to the premiership...

Str8 Pimpin'