Thread: joking: An Enigma

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Carnelian View Post
    Emojis. Emojis solve everything.
    Except when they make you come across as condescending.

But, if people are telling you to kill yourself that is not a joke, and it is not acceptable for people to be saying that to you. I hope you aren't speaking from experience here, Galuf!

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Galina Astrum (Ragnarok)

Both this and the "too nice" thread are from experience shauna. it tends to happen when i play online games and win. So i tend to say im rubbish to avoid some things idk.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Galuf View Post
    Both this and the "too nice" thread are from experience shauna. it tends to happen when i play online games and win. So i tend to say im rubbish to avoid some things idk.
    Ohhh. Online games, now it all makes sense.

Ignore those assholes. They're just mad they loss.

Quote Originally Posted by Pheesh View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Crop View Post
    I'm never being serious, even when I say I'm being serious.
    So if you weren't being serious when you wrote that then does that mean you are always being serious?
    I seriously don't even know myself anymore.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Galuf View Post
    Joking. Especially on the internet is a really annoying thing. Why? Because i never understand them. I always think they are being serious. And i dont mean the "knock knock who is there" kinda jokes. I mean stuff like "Oh you are so rubbish gokill yourself" etc etc. Most of the time im wrong and they are joking. But it just annoys me and makes me think people dislike me.

Anyone else have a problem with these jokey things? (also whenever i try to joke around... They go wrong.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayen View Post
    If someone is telling you to 'go kill yourself' as a joke, they have a lousy sense of humor. Just saying.

I find myself on both sides of this problem. People will be joking with me and I'll think they're serious, and I'll be joking and someone will mistake me for being serious. Tone is nearly impossible to figure out on the internet, that's why there's nothing wrong with asking for clarification. I used to post in a different text color back in 08 so people knew when I was joking. I'm wondering if I should bring that back?
    Galuf I see what you mean, I find it difficult to read a joke if its aggressive. Some people just say what's in their head without realising other people might think differently. Im careful with what I say, its what I get for having bucket loads of empathy.

Ayen I agree with Fynn on the issue of you highlighting your jokes. I get them, and so do some others on here.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty View Post
    Just assume that no one is ever being serious and your problem goes away.
    This is what I do.

Assume everyone is joking unless you see overwhelming evidence of the opposite.

I usually say things without thinking them through. That's not really because i'm not empathic or stuff, but rather that I just don't have very good impulse control
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

disc jockey to your heart krissy's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

for me it's a simple equation

0.4*(number of exclamation marks used) + sqrt(capital letters)/sqrt(swears) - (number of smileys - number of repeating smileys) = statement score

if statement score > 50, i think they are joking around

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Seriously, guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty View Post
    Just assume that no one is ever being serious and your problem goes away.
    Seriously. This is how we stay friends.

Articles
    Blog Entries

There's been cases where I stay off most parts of the Internet because seemingly innocuous things said to me can make me feel very uncomfortable and anxious. It's partially emotional immaturity on my part. Which is why, especially on the Internet, it is important to be clear with what you're intending on the internet.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I read the post as if they were being said in a voice, which colours in what I feel the emotional intent to be. Emojis help with that, definitely. What may appear condescending at first, when voiced in your head, is actually ripe for sarcasm.

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Dry humor is my forte and I enjoy it in other people as well. I'm not too phased if people don't get it on the Internet because they probably wouldn't get it in person either. I tend to have a stone face when I make a joke.

I use to put a freak smiley to prevent any confusion, but Loony BoB removed it because he is Stalin. One time Leeza warned something I put meant in jest and I later had to clarify that it was a joke, albeit a stupid one essentially just repeating what someone said. I don't understand people who take life, even the darkest parts of life seriously. If you can't laugh through the pain then you won't overcome it.

I feel like my humor adapts to whatever environment I'm in, even if I don't understand the joke, usually I'll try to laugh along anyway

However IRL when I'm home, I'm extremely cynical, my humor is dry, and I'm extremely sarcastic. However I think immature fart jokes may be my Achilles heel sadly, someone farted during my last law exam and it took every ounce of my being to not laugh. One of the students thought I was crying because the property law exam was so difficult...I was just trying hard not to laugh