stopped reading at trollface.png
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Yes, it was.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypoallergenic Chie View Post
    I'm sorry, but as much as I adore FF7, I think it was bested not only by FF9, but FF12 and it's own prequel, Crisis Core.
    All three of those games had more of my time invested.
    And easily by FFIV and FFVI, so that would put it at a level of mediocre. ;b

This could be Dangerous! Carl the Llama's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Legendary Hero (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Elskidor View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypoallergenic Chie View Post
    I'm sorry, but FF7 isn't simply best in the series, its also best game of all time and blows any other game out of the water even games like its prequel, FF9 and that other awesome game FF12.
    And easily beats FFIV and FFVI, so much so that those 2 games which in any normal circumstances are epic be reduced to mediocre. ;b
    Your steadfast support warms my soul, I am so happy to find such like minded people on this site.

I salute your steadfast support of what is clearly the best game ever to be created.

My opinion on FF7 is heavily biased by the fact that I didn't play it around the time it came out, but about 15 years later. As such, I knew Aeris was gonna die, and didn't establish any sort of emotional connection with her like I imagine I may have done as a 9 year old. When I did get around to playing it last year, one thing that immediately stuck out to me was loooooooooooad tiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiimes. Most of the RPGs I had played previously were cartridge-based (earlier FFs, SMRPG, Pokemon, etc) and thus loading wasn't an issue; and the disc-based RPGs I had played (Baten Kaitos, FF Crystal Chronicles) loaded quickly. Now, I'll put some blame on the hardware here (I only had a PS1), but even if the battles loaded quickly, I'd still probably think the pace of the gameplay was on the slow side. I've thought this about FF9, too, so it's not just a problem with 7. But these are reasons why I prefer earlier FFs over 7.

I can see why people like FF7, it's just not my favorite. Show me an objective proof that FF7 is the best in the series, and I'll concede; until then, you're free to have your own opinion and other people are free to have theirs.

tl;dr

Quote Originally Posted by Denmark View Post
    When I did get around to playing it last year, one thing that immediately stuck out to me was loooooooooooad tiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiimes.

Load times on Playstation are terrible. If you multiply the number of fights you have in a game with the load time you are looking at anywhere between 5 and 10 hours wasted. Even if you are a speed gamer and do little to grinding it's still an icky mess.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Forgive me if I'm wrong but isn't the longest load time the one where you load your save off the memory card and that's that? The load times may not be instantaneous, but it's pretty damn close, especially compared to later games. Sakaguchi also laid a ground rule that the team will have failed If the load times become noticeable. Honestly this is the first I've heard someone say this, so for 16 years of no complaints on the loads I'd say they did a Pretty good job!

Anyway, I thought IX surpassed it when it came out, but since then I feel that game plays it too safe and the combat is sluggish. X and XII were amazing in their own right. But imo 7 is has the most original story and setting in the series. It's also my favorite soundtrack with tons of variety. The combat is the most responsive with the best use of a battle camera to date. What seals the deal is the game's pacing, intermingling combat and plot revelations with a continuously fresh use of minigames to make every part unique. Games today settle too much into one gameplay format accompanied by voice acted narrative. And in the words of the series creator, the previous games are puppet shows compared Final Fantasy 7.

I just wish Wolf Kanno was here to dispute this

FF7 is without doubt the best. I pop on here every once and awhile to say a few words, so here's a current thought on the game: Highlighting the plot, music, every thematic juxtaposition and quirky moment, the imaginative yet relatable world and cast, and even the the presentation (unhindered by the sluggish combat we've seen in later PS1 entries), the game is the only one in the series to go beyond immersive story-telling and succeed as a meaningful (psychedelic, even) experience and as a bold artistic statement. I don't want to write an essay, but FF7 really speaks to the kind of alienation that I've long felt on a daily basis, as I've waded through the harsh and disorienting realities of the modern world. And I think that's what it's ultimately about: the search for wholeness of self, of a greater spirituality, and the struggle to defeat one's inner demons - fighting the tide - in a corrupt world where the human spirit at large is diminishing. To me, this kind of introspection makes most other entries feel trivial by comparison, and it certainly makes up for the game's weaknesses (messy programming, inconsistent graphics, rushed fourth act).