PDA

View Full Version : This game and V13 will NEVER go multiplatform

UltimaMasamune
01-22-2007, 08:39 PM
Why? you ask

1.(the main reason) this game and Versus XIII is being design using the white engine which can ONLY run on the PS3 which means that if it goes multiplat Square has to redesign the game for scratch ,which means a waste of a lot of time and money

2.multiplatform don't take advantage of the systems strengths for example , take a look at MGS2:S it was ported to the XBOX and it sucked , that's because the game was designed for the PS2 ,now unless you want FF to turn into a half-assed EA sports game it's better sticks to one console. for example FFXI was ported to the 360 to take advantge of it's online capabilities and the Wii FFCC game is a multiplayer game and it fits the Wii

3.the XBOX360 is doing horribly in Japan (and that's where the majority of the fanbase is) and the Wii can't even handle the trailer

4.the main FFs have always appeared on the system with the most storage space and seeing as this game is going to be very big, the game apearing on a dual-layer blu-ray 50GB disk doesn't seem like a impossible thing

5.Sony's relationship with Square(and most 3rd parties) are very good, they even own 8% of SE stocks

6.There was never a multi platform release of an FF game(remember port=/multiplatform)

Vivisteiner
01-22-2007, 09:06 PM
Of course its not going multi-platform.
(For the reasons you said)

Crossblades
01-22-2007, 09:20 PM
Whoever said that the game was going multiplatform?:confused:

UltimaMasamune
01-22-2007, 09:30 PM
While I haven't seen any "OMG dis gam and mgs4 ar cuming to 360" topics , in other forums that's quite a common sight , so I decided to post this topic here , before it gets flooded by topics like that

BizarroSephiroth
01-22-2007, 10:03 PM
cuming

Heheheheheheh..................

They will never go multiplatform, even though FFXII is coming out for DS called Revenant Wings, but XBOX dont deserve it and Nintendo sucks except for DS (which is probably why Crystal Chronicles is over and FFIII is comin out for DS)

UltimaMasamune
01-22-2007, 10:10 PM
cuming

They will never go multiplatform, even though FFXII is coming out for DS called Revenant Wings, but XBOX dont deserve it and Nintendo sucks except for DS (which is probably why Crystal Chronicles is over and FFIII is comin out for DS)

Like I said each console has it's own strengthes and weaknesses and SE always make their games based on that e.g FFXI for the 360

vorpal blade
01-22-2007, 10:32 PM
What about that mobile one? They could (and had better) make that multi-platform. Maybe bring it out to the DS for those of us whose phones aren't as good as japanese ones.

LunarWeaver
01-22-2007, 10:38 PM
I predict that in 20 years it will be ported to the Nintendo Gameboy 3400. Then it will become multi-platform and I will revive this thread and say "I told you so".

UltimaMasamune
03-05-2007, 03:20 PM
updated:

1.(the main reason) the game and Versus XIII is being design using the white engine which can ONLY run on the PS3 which means that if it goes multiplat Square has to redesign the game for scratch ,which means a waste of a lot of time and money

2.multiplatform don't take advantage of the systems strengths for example , take a look at MGS2:S it was ported to the XBOX and it sucked , that's because the game was designed for the PS2 ,now unless you want FF to turn into a half-assed EA sports game it's better sticks to one console. for example FFXI was ported to the 360 to take advantge of it's online capabilities and the Wii FFCC game is a multiplayer game and it fits the Wii

3.the XBOX360 is doing horribly in Japan (and that's where the majority of the fanbase is) and the Wii can't even handle the trailer

4.the main FFs have always appeared on the system with the most storage space and seeing as this game is going to be very big, the game apearing on a dual-layer blu-ray 50GB disk doesn't seem like a impossible thing

5.Sony's relationship with Square(and most 3rd parties) are very good, they even own 8% of SE stocks

6.There was never a multi platform release of an FF game(remember port=/multiplatform)

Mirage
03-05-2007, 04:22 PM
cuming

Like I said each console has it's own strengthes and weaknesses and SE always make their games based on that e.g FFXI for the 360
Hahahaha, that's a good one.

Tons of multiplatform games are mainly developed for one platform, then more or less successfully ported to other platforms. Point in case, every EA game.

XxSephirothxX
03-05-2007, 04:57 PM
updated:

1.(the main reason) the game and Versus XIII is being design using the white engine which can ONLY run on the PS3 which means that if it goes multiplat Square has to redesign the game for scratch ,which means a waste of a lot of time and money

I don't think it's going to go multiplatform, but I still want to point out a few things.
1. I don't think we really know that the White engine can only run on the 360. Quite a few sources have stated that the PS3 and the Xbox 360 are pretty much equally powerful, and as Mirage said, quite a few games developed for one platform have been successfully ported to another, and sometimes they even run better. It happens all the time.

2. Multiplatform games don't take advantage of the system's strengths? That's entirely up to the developer of the game. The only "strength" FFXIII is really going to be taking advantage of is the Blu-Ray disc and the Cell processor; it wouldn't be hard to make a multi-disc game like they did in the PS1 era, and again, it's not really known if the Cell can outperform the 360's processors at this point or not.

3. The 360 isn't doing very well in Japan, but the "majority" of the fanbase is not there, I don't think. If you add up America and Europe, they probably account for at least 50%.

4. The advent of disc media was really a much bigger deal for storage and what they could do with games than the switch from DVD to Blu-Ray. It would probably be cheaper, and again, not very difficult, to put the game on 2-3 DVDs for the 360, versus 1 Blu-Ray disc.

5. That's not nearly as relevant as it was when Square almost bankrupted itself. They certainly have a good relationship with Sony, but as we've seen by the games they've been releasing for Nintendo in recent years, they're not exactly against going multiplatform.

6. Port=/multiplatform? So all those PS2 games that were ported to the GameCube and the Xbox when they came out shouldn't be considered multiplatform games, just because they were ported? Come on.

Really, the only reason XIII would be ported to the 360 is for moolah. This generation of games has seen considerably higher development costs, and the more money it costs developers to make games, the more money those games are going to need to make to be worth all the effort put into them. If Square really thinks that they'll make a lot more money by putting the game on the 360, they'll probably do it. If the Mistwalker games make tons of money in Japan, which honestly isn't too likely, then a FFXIII port may not be so far-fetched.

UltimaMasamune
03-12-2007, 08:17 PM
updated:

I don't think it's going to go multiplatform, but I still want to point out a few things.
1. I don't think we really know that the White engine can only run on the 360. Quite a few sources have stated that the PS3 and the Xbox 360 are pretty much equally powerful, and as Mirage said, quite a few games developed for one platform have been successfully ported to another, and sometimes they even run better. It happens all the time.

2. Multiplatform games don't take advantage of the system's strengths? That's entirely up to the developer of the game. The only "strength" FFXIII is really going to be taking advantage of is the Blu-Ray disc and the Cell processor; it wouldn't be hard to make a multi-disc game like they did in the PS1 era, and again, it's not really known if the Cell can outperform the 360's processors at this point or not.

3. The 360 isn't doing very well in Japan, but the "majority" of the fanbase is not there, I don't think. If you add up America and Europe, they probably account for at least 50%.

4. The advent of disc media was really a much bigger deal for storage and what they could do with games than the switch from DVD to Blu-Ray. It would probably be cheaper, and again, not very difficult, to put the game on 2-3 DVDs for the 360, versus 1 Blu-Ray disc.

5. That's not nearly as relevant as it was when Square almost bankrupted itself. They certainly have a good relationship with Sony, but as we've seen by the games they've been releasing for Nintendo in recent years, they're not exactly against going multiplatform.

6. Port=/multiplatform? So all those PS2 games that were ported to the GameCube and the Xbox when they came out shouldn't be considered multiplatform games, just because they were ported? Come on.

Really, the only reason XIII would be ported to the 360 is for moolah. This generation of games has seen considerably higher development costs, and the more money it costs developers to make games, the more money those games are going to need to make to be worth all the effort put into them. If Square really thinks that they'll make a lot more money by putting the game on the 360, they'll probably do it. If the Mistwalker games make tons of money in Japan, which honestly isn't too likely, then a FFXIII port may not be so far-fetched.

1.It was confirmed that the White Engine is using 4 of the SPEs in the Cell, so they have to remake the game from scratch for it be ported

2. Good points but did you see MGS2 for the Xbox, the game was unplayable and in the past most of the space was filled with FMVs(which are played once), however this time HD graphics,sound,uncompressed data for faster load times all require lots of space, and LittleBigPlanet has demonstrated how powerful the physics the Cell can pull of

3. I know but remaking a game from scratch for the 360 with a not so big fanbase sounds like a veyr big gamble

4.one BR disk costs as much as 2 DVDs currently and seeing as it is beating HD-DVD it will cost even less to manufacture and since they have to copy the basic stuff(music,engine,battle system data,etc) on each disk it will probably take about 6 or 7 DVDs

5.good points but all of the main FFs were on a PS console(the 5 million+ selling ones anyway) and the Nintendo fanbase has accepted the series (but there is no chance in bloody hell that it will be released on the Wii), but the X360 fanbase is untested waters

6.I guess I worded it wrong, what I meant by ports was FF6snes VS FF6 PS , the original version were always exclusive for its time and seeing as most ports are downgraded versions of older games like RE4,MGS2,etc which were developed for one system in mind(unlike EA games which were developed for more than one system)

developing games for the PS1 costed more than developing for the SNES
developing games for the PS2 costed more than developing for the PS2
those things didn't make them go multiplatform

Slothy
03-12-2007, 09:28 PM

Yes the PS3 and 360 are quite similar in power it would seem so far (though which is truly more capable of having it's power tapped into by developers will probably be up in the air for a few years), however they're very different system architecture's. Just because they're similar in power doesn't mean you'll be able to simply port a game engine designed from the ground up to utilize the PS3 hardware over to the 360. Sure, it'd most likely be possible with some tweaking, but the PS3 does feature essentially parallel processing with a different graphics card, etc. The likelihood that you could just take the game and have it instantly running on both is slim. Just how much work would be involved in optimizing it for both systems is anyone's guess though. Only the developers would really have that answer.

Shlnsengumi
03-25-2007, 05:30 PM
Why? you ask

1.(the main reason) this game and Versus XIII is being design using the white engine which can ONLY run on the PS3 which means that if it goes multiplat Square has to redesign the game for scratch ,which means a waste of a lot of time and money

1. http://www.gametrailers.com/player.php?id=17890&type=mov&pl=game

Have you seen comparisons between 360 and PS3? 360 mops the floor with the PS3. Why do you think S-E recently licensed the Unreal engine?

2. What system strenghts. As of so far, every multiplatform game looks better on the 360. Thats a fact, just go to the link above.

3. At the Blue Dragon launch, 360 sold over 10,000 units, proving that a good RPG will sell systems in Japan. I'm sure Eternal Sonata, Lost Oddysey will sell great there as well.

4. It's called compressed data, which is something alot of developers are not doing. Plus, Square has released multiple discs before, and I have no problem having to switch discs once in awhile.

5. Square is not going to make a lick of profit with the way PS3 sales are doing now. Fact is, development costs are way too high for next gen games, and FFXIII is no exception. There is just no way XIII will make a profit if it stays exclusive.

6. Don't even have to answer that, your research is wrong.

I mean honestly, PS3 is just one big joke.
http://www.n4g.com/ps3/News-31409.aspx
Total disaster it reads.

Setzer Gabianni
03-25-2007, 08:34 PM
If by some ungodly horror it does happen, I'm still sticking with a PS3. I'll get more use out of it compared to the 360.

Vertisce
03-30-2007, 08:07 PM
1. http://www.gametrailers.com/player.php?id=17890&type=mov&pl=game

Have you seen comparisons between 360 and PS3? 360 mops the floor with the PS3. Why do you think S-E recently licensed the Unreal engine?

2. What system strenghts. As of so far, every multiplatform game looks better on the 360. Thats a fact, just go to the link above.

3. At the Blue Dragon launch, 360 sold over 10,000 units, proving that a good RPG will sell systems in Japan. I'm sure Eternal Sonata, Lost Oddysey will sell great there as well.

4. It's called compressed data, which is something alot of developers are not doing. Plus, Square has released multiple discs before, and I have no problem having to switch discs once in awhile.

5. Square is not going to make a lick of profit with the way PS3 sales are doing now. Fact is, development costs are way too high for next gen games, and FFXIII is no exception. There is just no way XIII will make a profit if it stays exclusive.

6. Don't even have to answer that, your research is wrong.

I mean honestly, PS3 is just one big joke.
http://www.n4g.com/ps3/News-31409.aspx
Total disaster it reads.

Ive seen nothing that proves the 360 mops the floor with the PS3. In fact of all the research I have done...(and ive done a lot of it)...the PS3 is a slightly more powerful system but only so if developers utilize it to its full potential. Otherwise they are virtually identical in power. I think that most of the statements you have made are nothing more than opinions with nothing to back them up. Do a little more research on the actual hardware of the two consoles. Do NOT used biased reviews to make your determinations.

As for the subject I personally do not think they will port XIII over to any other console. Simply because its physically not possible due to the WHITE engines requirements. Will they possibly make a FF game for the 360 or Wii down the road? Maybe...probably...but we don't know for sure untill it happens.

Oooh...I read my own post. I came across a bit harsh...sorry...not trying to be a jerk and bash anybody here. I guess I just disagree on a few things based on my own research. You are right though. A good game of any kind will sell consoles. Hell its why I bought a PS1 for FFVII. But my point remains. It will be a while before we see what will happen betwee the 3 consoles. Right now they all have thier stregnths and if I could I would choose all 3 for different reasons.

As for your PS3 vs 360 comparison of Armored Core 4. I don't see much difference. They both look very good. They use slightly different shaders it seems but thats all. In fact im kinda swinging towards the PS3 version myself. Also...ive played Oblivion on both systems and the PS3 version is by far better graphically.

Sophie Peithos
03-31-2007, 05:40 AM
As for the subject I personally do not think they will port XIII over to any other console. Simply because its physically not possible due to the WHITE engines requirements.

The White Engine is apparently open platform, thus could be ported to the 360 fairly easily.

http://au.gamespot.com/news/6167571.html

HS: I feel that the Final Fantasy series should come to Xbox 360 as well. This is wise. It makes so much sense to me...it has so much potential in North America and in Europe. So there's a great chance for the series to succeed on 360 as well.
[in English] And I heard they made the White Engine open platform as well.

Roto13
03-31-2007, 03:57 PM
I don't see why people are so against the game being accessible to more people, anyway.

DeStyle
03-31-2007, 04:02 PM
That means they get one reason less to buy a PS3.

That pisses off those who already bought a PS3, no one
likes to see that something they bought was completely
overpriced. Especially if it costed $600.

That is why there are Sony fanboys left, they just don't want
to hear that they waster 300-400.

That's how I see it anyways.

Vertisce
03-31-2007, 04:23 PM
And then you have your 360 fanboys that don't realize that in the long run the 360 is more expensive than the PS3 when it comes right down to it. And they also dont realize that the price difference isnt that great and they are afraid to even try the PS3 because they dont want to admit that something better has come out a year later than thier beloved 360. Fanboys suck. Get over it. People will buy the different consoles for thier own reasons.

Thats a good article. I never read much on the WHITE engine. If it is an engine that can be ported over to other systems then thats definately a good thing. I cant seem to find it but im pretty sure ive got an article someplace that states the WHITE engine is specifically using certain parts of the PS3s processor that the 360 simply cannot do. Therefore FFXIII will not be one of the portable games. The engine may be cross platform but that doesnt mean the game is.

Either way...they already have FF games on the gamecube and im sure they will release one for the Wii. Wouldnt suprise me one bit if one came out for the 360. Thats how money is made and I have no problem with that.

Mirage
03-31-2007, 04:31 PM
How is the 360 more expensive in the long run?
Explain.

DeStyle
03-31-2007, 06:17 PM
At the moment Xbox360 is cheaper than PS3,
I have yet to see a PS3 exclusive that's really good.
Xbox360 is multi adaptable (music, movies, etc),
included is a nice 30 (?) Gb harddrive.

I used to be a Xbox fanboy, for the sole reason
that I didn't want to believe I had spent my money
on something inferior.

Now I don't care anymore, I got a good PC and download
whatever I want to play. Unethical maybe, but those
companies are loaded anyways.

Mercen-X
03-31-2007, 09:04 PM
Now I don't care anymore, I got a good PC and download
whatever I want to play. Unethical maybe, but those
companies are loaded anyways.

Encore, main man. Bravo n'all that.

I see no real difference between any system. They're all just their for coporate competition. Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo don't give a rat's ass about the fan base. They don't bother trying too hard to outshine each other because then one would dominate and there'd be no competition. Overall, that'd mean the price for the machine would rise dramatically and only the entrepreneurs would buy up the damn things to shove into their closets as trophy collectibles. As soon as they got bored with it, the richies would stop their checks and the top company would then have built itself a Babel tower that crumbles under its own weight and crap foundation.

I'll get XIII for PS3 regardless. I don't own the 3 yet, but I will and I'll get the 360 and Wii too, never you doubt. I sincerely hope (for those who can't afford PS3 but already have a 360 or Wii) that it does get HQ-ports and I think Squee can do it after their initial sales of XIII and Versus. It will take a lot of time and money but I seriously doubt it'd be a waste. These days, I think Squee is pretty good at what they do.

Vertisce
03-31-2007, 11:45 PM
Explain.

PS3 is $600 US.
360 is $400 US...BUT. No card reader...no wireless...no HD-DVD/Blu-Ray. Add all 3 of those to the 360 and you are paying well over $700. Do you need all that stuff? Probably not and you will say you don't but a lot of people DO want that stuff. With that considered your getting more for your money with the PS3 than you do with the 360.

Roto13
04-01-2007, 12:49 AM
I'd actually consider buying a PS3 if I didn't have to pay for all of the extra crap I'd never use. Xbox is doing it right. "More for your money" doesn't mean much when you don't want what you're getting.

Though I'll probably buy the wireless thing when I finally buy a 360.

Mirage
04-01-2007, 05:20 AM
Explain.

PS3 is $600 US.
360 is $400 US...BUT. No card reader...no wireless...no HD-DVD/Blu-Ray. Add all 3 of those to the 360 and you are paying well over $700. Do you need all that stuff? Probably not and you will say you don't but a lot of people DO want that stuff. With that considered your getting more for your money with the PS3 than you do with the 360.

1. What do I need wireless for? Heck, why would anyone want to use a wireless connection for a game console? Wired connections are both faster and more stable.
2. I don't need HD-DVD nor Blu-ray, because I don't own an HDTV.

The only thing I would consider useful of those would be a card reader, but that's just because I want to back-up my save files. If that can be done by other means on the 360, I see no use for a card reader. By the time I've got a HDTV, Xbox 720 and PS4 would be on the market.

It's not more expensive in the long run because of upgrades, when I never plan on getting said upgrades.

Slothy
04-01-2007, 03:07 PM
Explain.

PS3 is $600 US.

1. What do I need wireless for? Heck, why would anyone want to use a wireless connection for a game console? Wired connections are both faster and more stable.

Perhaps for the convenience? Seriously, a wired connection in my room would have been fairly expensive/impractical in comparison to the built in wi-fi that lets me play games like Resistance online with absolutely NO noticeable lag. From here on, lack of built in wireless is definitely a knock against any console I might consider buying.

Mirage
04-01-2007, 03:16 PM
I would think most people have their game consoles in their living rooms, though, and a fairly long TP cable doesn't cost much.

Slothy
04-01-2007, 05:44 PM
I would think most people have their game consoles in their living rooms, though, and a fairly long TP cable doesn't cost much.

I have mine in my bedroom with all of my other consoles which is in the basement. My computer, and therefore the broadband modem is on the second floor of the house. Running an ethernet cable that distance would be rediculous and impractical. Getting another modem hooked up in my room would be costly, as would running a cable through the walls. Wi-fi was the most convenient solution since we already had a wireless network setup in the house, and like I said, my online games run lag free so I have no issues with it.

Roto13
04-02-2007, 02:39 AM
I wouldn't have bothered taking my Wii or DS online if I couldn't do it with my router.

Mirage
04-02-2007, 02:48 AM
I agree it's nice for a portable unit, such as a laptop or a handheld game console, because they're moved around a lot.

Vertisce
04-02-2007, 12:15 PM
The wireless on a PS3 is a 100/1000 setup which if you have the right wireless router is just as good and just as fast as any wired connection. With the exception of possible stability issues if you have the right interference. As for Blu-Ray...I got the TV so I got the Blu-Ray. And the card reader is damned handy. I now have ALL of my MP3 collection on my PS3 and pumping through the surround sound system from my living room. I dunno...maybe the PS3 is just a rich man's console. And like I said...you get more for your money with the PS3. Since the 360 doesnt have built in HD-DVD why isnt it $300 instead? No built in Wi-Fi...then why isnt it $200? Seems to me with Microsoft you get less and pay more.