PDA

View Full Version : How to make rice

Diango12
03-25-2007, 10:56 PM
Ok, so I like rice. I am sure that many of you do too, that is what I am counting on. I would like to know the different methods you use to cook this delacasy as I have found there are plenty. I've also learned that the worth of the rice is equal only to the amount of effort you use.

Well with me, when I make rice everyone seems to like it.

It's probably because I don't use a rice cooker, I use a regular pot. It makes quiet a difference. I found that rice in the pot tends to taste much better, and if you put a lil olive oil or butter in it along with the water and salt, it gives it a good taste and texture. With chinese rice and so forth it taste good and different because they let the rice cook or fry a little in the pot/pan before they add all the water usually which toasts it real well.

Jebus
03-25-2007, 11:37 PM
1 medium-size yellow onion
4 tablespoons butter (1/2 stick)
5 cups or more chicken broth, canned or homemade
2 cups Arborio rice (available in many supermarkets or specialty food stores)
Salt and pepper to taste
3/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese

Preparing the Rice

Peel and finely chop the onion.

Melt the butter in a 4-to-5-quart saucepan over medium heat, stirring regularly.

Add the onion and cook, continuing to stir, until it turns soft and translucent. Turn the heat down if the onion starts to brown.

Meanwhile, pour the chicken broth into a separate saucepan, set over medium heat, and bring to a gentle simmer. Adjust the heat as needed to maintain this simmer the whole time you are preparing the risotto.

Once the onion is soft, add the rice and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, for about 3 minutes. Adjust the heat as necessary -- if the rice is cooked at too high a heat, it will turn brown and take on an undesirable flavor.

Adding the Liquid to the Rice

Using a ladle, scoop up about 1/2 to 3/4 cup of broth. Pour it in the pan with the rice, stirring constantly with a spoon. After the first addition of broth, the rice mixture will look a bit soupy.

As the rice begins to cook, stir it constantly, making sure that you scrape along the bottom of the pan so that it does not stick. You should see little bubbles popping up on the liquid from time to time. If it bubbles more vigorously than this, turn the heat down to medium-low.

When most of the liquid is absorbed into the rice and the rice begins to look a bit dry, add another ladle of broth to the pan and stir constantly, as before.

Determining When the Risotto Is Cooked

Continue to add the broth in 1/2-to-3/4-cup batches and stir the rice until you have used most of the broth (this will probably take about 20 minutes). It is now time to test whether the risotto is cooked. Spoon up a grain of rice and bite into it -- it should be tender without being too mushy. If it is still crunchy and tastes a bit starchy, you will need to continue adding liquid and cooking further.

If it looks as if you will run out of chicken broth and your rice is still not cooked, don't be alarmed. Because of variations in individual stoves and cooking temperatures, you may need more liquid than called for in the recipe. Simply heat up another cup or 2 of chicken broth. If you run out of broth, use hot water.

When the rice is tender and the risotto has a creamy consistency, almost like thick oatmeal, it is done.

Serving the Risotto

Add salt and pepper to the risotto, about 1/4 teaspoon at a time, until it seems well seasoned to you. Stir.

Add the grated Parmesan cheese and stir well.

Serve the risotto immediately in warm bowls and have extra grated Parmesan on hand.

*nods*

Tasura
03-25-2007, 11:55 PM
I just use a rice cooker to cook the rice, but I change it after, usually with plum sauce, but sometimes Cream of Mushroom soup, or recently Sweet Teriyaki, when at home I used a homemade sauce, the sauce may sound weird or gross ingredient wise, but its good, and I cant tell you measurements because it was just thrown together, Ketchup, Molasses, White Vinegar, Brown Sugar. I may make some Onigiri later, if I'm not lazy.

Jowy
03-26-2007, 12:11 AM
*risotto*

Pretty much the same, except with less butter and no Parmesan cheese. I like to throw in crushed red pepper along with a hint of balsamic vinegar. 8-)

Fonzie
03-26-2007, 12:31 AM
I have yet to learn secrets of rice :(

Dr Aum
03-26-2007, 12:51 AM
I usually just eat plain Japanese glutinous rice made in a rice cooker with a little furikake (usually noritama) on top.

By the way, risotto made in a rice cooker is extremely good. I use a Zojirushi.

41-Inches-Wide
03-26-2007, 01:33 AM
Preparing the Awesome Aicha Rice:

1/2 kilo Grade A Rice (kyoko, arborio, ground red)
1 cup water
chocolate powder (preferably the sweetened one)
pot / rice cooker

Put the rice in the pot/cooker, and put 1 cup water. Set to some degree which rice can be cooked :p wait 10 mins. Enjoy with choco powder on top.

Araciel
03-26-2007, 01:34 AM
1. order rice
2. pay 2.50
3. eat rice

Diango12
03-26-2007, 01:37 AM
Put the rice in the pot/cooker, and put 1 cup water. Set to some degree which rice can be cooked wait 10 mins. Enjoy with choco powder on top.

Wow, i've got to try that! (wait this isen't a joke is it ;_; )

Momiji
03-26-2007, 02:03 AM
Salt and pepper to taste

Preparing the Rice

Melt the butter in a 4-to-5-quart saucepan over medium heat, stirring regularly.

Add the onion and cook, continuing to stir, until it turns soft and translucent. Turn the heat down if the onion starts to brown.

Meanwhile, pour the chicken broth into a separate saucepan, set over medium heat, and bring to a gentle simmer. Adjust the heat as needed to maintain this simmer the whole time you are preparing the risotto.

Once the onion is soft, add the rice and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, for about 3 minutes. Adjust the heat as necessary -- if the rice is cooked at too high a heat, it will turn brown and take on an undesirable flavor.

Using a ladle, scoop up about 1/2 to 3/4 cup of broth. Pour it in the pan with the rice, stirring constantly with a spoon. After the first addition of broth, the rice mixture will look a bit soupy.

As the rice begins to cook, stir it constantly, making sure that you scrape along the bottom of the pan so that it does not stick. You should see little bubbles popping up on the liquid from time to time. If it bubbles more vigorously than this, turn the heat down to medium-low.

When most of the liquid is absorbed into the rice and the rice begins to look a bit dry, add another ladle of broth to the pan and stir constantly, as before.

Continue to add the broth in 1/2-to-3/4-cup batches and stir the rice until you have used most of the broth (this will probably take about 20 minutes). It is now time to test whether the risotto is cooked. Spoon up a grain of rice and bite into it -- it should be tender without being too mushy. If it is still crunchy and tastes a bit starchy, you will need to continue adding liquid and cooking further.

If it looks as if you will run out of chicken broth and your rice is still not cooked, don't be alarmed. Because of variations in individual stoves and cooking temperatures, you may need more liquid than called for in the recipe. Simply heat up another cup or 2 of chicken broth. If you run out of broth, use hot water.

When the rice is tender and the risotto has a creamy consistency, almost like thick oatmeal, it is done.

Serving the Risotto

Add salt and pepper to the risotto, about 1/4 teaspoon at a time, until it seems well seasoned to you. Stir.

Serve the risotto immediately in warm bowls and have extra grated Parmesan on hand.

*nods*

Ooh, that sounds so good right now...minus the onions. I don't like onions. :(

Mirage
03-26-2007, 02:09 AM
I just put a suitable amount of rice in a pot, add 50% more water than rice, and add a bit of salt, then cook it for 15 minutes. This is usually jasmine rice. or whatever you call it in englishland.

Leen-Leen
03-26-2007, 02:51 AM
I've no idea actually. xD My dad is the one that cooks at my house. We have a rice cooker from Japan, and he said that makes the rice stickier so ... I like my rice sticky :P

41-Inches-Wide
03-26-2007, 02:59 AM
Put the rice in the pot/cooker, and put 1 cup water. Set to some degree which rice can be cooked wait 10 mins. Enjoy with choco powder on top.

Wow, i've got to try that! (wait this isen't a joke is it ;_; )

My friend, you have to trust me. Although I don't know the degree of heat to which you cook the rice itself, but what I do know warm rice+choco powder is heaven.

sirMAXX
03-26-2007, 03:18 AM
boil 2 parts water to 1 part rice in a covered pot.
when water is at a rolling boil reduce heat to low simmer, add salt and butter.
add rice, stir once, leave covered untouced for 20 minuets.
remove from heat, uncover, let it cool for 5 min, serv.

1. order rice
2. pay 2.50
3. eat rice

LOL! or you could do that too. :)

Schala
03-26-2007, 03:29 AM
Salt and pepper to taste

Preparing the Rice

Serving the Risotto

*nods*

Try adding some white wine to the rice before you add the broth. It really enhances the flavor. I'd also suggest cutting the butter and replacing half of it with olive oil. Add a little bit of that extra butter to the end and it makes it that much creamier. Also, the balsamic vinegar adds a great flavor if you don't add too much (Jowy stole most of his cooking ideas from me).

Yuffie514
03-26-2007, 06:08 AM
i use a rice cooker. but i'd like to learn how to make sticky rice.

EDIT: ty. much appreciated :greenie: .

Tasura
03-26-2007, 06:24 AM
i use a rice cooker. but i'd like to learn how to make sticky rice.

You can use a rice cooker to make sticky rice, just add twice as much water as rice, as in 2 cups water per cup of rice.

loben
03-26-2007, 04:09 PM
My sister "Tried" to make rice once. She ended up scooping rice into a pan twice the size the once she started cooking in, and it ended up overflowing. She has rice for breakfast for weeks. That year for christmas our mom got her a rice cookbook. that was funny as hell.....

TyphoonThaReapa
03-26-2007, 04:19 PM
Boy my momma know how to make great rice! But it's funny because our family doesn't quite have that as a traditional course of meal. And yet she knows how to hook it up. Mommas are amazing.

Tifa Valentine
03-26-2007, 06:46 PM
White rice is my favorite but I live with people who adore Spanish rice and Mexican foods, so I make that from time to time.

In the rice I add some water, butter/margarine (whichever is preferred), salt, minced garlic, a little tomato sauce (tomato paste is too thick), some stir fried onions, tomatoes, mushrooms, green and red bell peppers which you can cook with some all white meat chicken breasts or chopped up steak.

I didn't make a step by step list with a certain amount of ingredients because some people might not want the stir fried onions, bell peppers, mushrooms, & meats added to the rice. Also, if you like a lot of salt (like my older sister) put in as much as you want. Mix it up to your liking.

If you're making steak fajitas or chicken burritos you can put this mix in with some beans and cheese (if you'd like sour cream and lettuce as well). Heck, their even good in soft and hard tacos. Mixing it up any way is good!

TyphoonThaReapa
03-26-2007, 06:50 PM
ho adore Spanish rice and Mexican foods, so I make that from time to time.

In the rice I add some water, butter/margarine (whichever is preferred), salt, minced garlic, a little tomato sauce (tomato paste is too thick), some stir fried onions, tomatoes, mushrooms, green and red bell peppers which you can cook with some all white meat chicken breasts or chopped up steak.

I didn't make a step by step list with a certain amount of ingredients because some people might not want the stir fried onions, bell peppers, mushrooms, & meats added to the rice. Also, if you like a lot of salt (like my older sister) put in as much as you want. Mix it up to your liking.

If you're making steak fajitas or chicken burritos you can put this mix in with some beans and cheese (if you'd like sour cream and lettuce as well). Mixing it up any way is good!
A'yo you hookin' it up huh? Sounds good! Making me hungry!

~*~Celes~*~
03-26-2007, 08:54 PM
I usually boil water, then add rice, boil the rice for a bit, then cover with a lid, let the rice absorb the water. Then I put it in a bowl, add milk, sugar, and butter, and voila! It's so tasty!

Shlup
03-26-2007, 09:40 PM
My rice cooker is godly.

I also generally add suchi zu or vegetable stock.