PDA

View Full Version : Sub-swearwords

ReloadPsi
11-08-2007, 07:31 PM
I cannot deny that a cuss like a sailor, nor can I deny that I consider the "F" word to be the single best word in the English language, but due to the censorship imposed on this forum I have come to really enjoy using what I will henceforth refer to as sub-swearwords, allegedly unoffensive alternatives such as "smeg" or "smegging" (of Red Dwarf fame, though its origins date much further back than that), "friggin'", "frickin'", "freakin'" and "bloody"... I don't actually mind seeing smurf and the four skulls in my own posts but the comic tone to those words adds to the fun of language for me. Plus I keep getting utterly rollocked for swearing too much in college seeing as I'm 22 and some of my class are 16.

English, man. It's a great language for cursing in.

Thoughts?

Araciel
11-08-2007, 07:33 PM
Thoughts?

I like fucking swearing.

Vincent, Thunder God
11-08-2007, 07:46 PM
As long as swearing isn't used to offend someone, I see no problems with its use in moderation. If I'm ticked off, I'm likely to swear a bit. Of course, over-using it is just immature, and swearing just for the sake of swearing is as well. If there's actually a reason behind it, fine.

Sergeant Hartman
11-08-2007, 07:56 PM
Oh fucrying out loud!

LunarWeaver
11-08-2007, 07:58 PM
I enjoy fuck because it is very flexible and can be used just about anywhere. Like fuck you or I'll fuck your fucking mom until her fucking brains fucking fall out on the fucking floor ya fuck. What other word can pull that off? The word fuck is like level 99.

theundeadhero
11-08-2007, 08:04 PM
I think you should go wash your mouth out with soap!

Skyblade
11-08-2007, 08:06 PM
Frell (which originated on the incredibly awesome sci-fi show Farscape) is easily the greatest curseword of all time. Due to the similarity between it and hell, it can be used in any situation that the latter can, and, due to its meaning, can be used in any situation where the more known "f word" would be appropriate. It has unmatched versatility, and it references an awesome TV show that not enough people know of. What need would anyone have for another curseword?

Personally, I'm not a big fan of cursing, as it almost never actually adds anything to a conversation, and I feel that given how often most people curse, the words lose their impact. There's nothing shocking about cursewords when people use them all the time, so what's the point?

Ramza Beoulve
11-08-2007, 08:29 PM

Thoughts?If you want to curse, you have to smurfingly do it in Spanish. That's when the cursing gets EXTREME :eek:

Skyblade
11-08-2007, 08:30 PM

Thoughts?If you want to curse, you have to smurfingly do it in Spanish. That's when the thing gets GREAT :eek:

"There is no curse in Entish, Elvish, or the tongues of men for this treachery."

Fortunately, I know some Dwarvish.

Peegee
11-08-2007, 08:54 PM
Anybody know any Japanese words for swearing that isn't just speaking rudely or just an insult?

Iceglow
11-09-2007, 12:48 PM
I swear at people all the smurfing time though one of my fave alternatives to smurf has be be Feth which originated in the Warhammer 40000 novel series "Gaunts Ghosts" very useful I also use Frell, Feck, Smeg and a whole plethora of the banned words.

Bunny
11-09-2007, 01:18 PM
I use the bad words a lot. I think the f-word should be censored to frak though.

duckie
11-09-2007, 01:49 PM
why would you want to curse anyways? it makes you sound unintelligent.

Loony BoB
11-09-2007, 02:33 PM
I swear a lot when around those that are comfortable with my swearing, but I don't generally swear at people or try to offend people with them. I don't like people who swear at EoFF. I think people who try to get around the filter or get a thrill off using offensive words at EoFF are just annoying for the most part. I don't mind it in person depending on how it's used and what words are used.

Anybody know any Japanese words for swearing that isn't just speaking rudely or just an insult?
From what I've heard, most languages don't actually have 'swear words', including Japanese. I understand it's all just "speaking rudely", "insulting" or else "using an English swear word".

Slothy
11-09-2007, 02:35 PM
Frell (which originated on the incredibly awesome sci-fi show Farscape) is easily the greatest curseword of all time. Due to the similarity between it and hell, it can be used in any situation that the latter can, and, due to its meaning, can be used in any situation where the more known "f word" would be appropriate. It has unmatched versatility, and it references an awesome TV show that not enough people know of. What need would anyone have for another curseword?

Personally, I'm not a big fan of cursing, as it almost never actually adds anything to a conversation, and I feel that given how often most people curse, the words lose their impact. There's nothing shocking about cursewords when people use them all the time, so what's the point?

It's not really about being shocking, but about what you get across with them. I will say that the F-word is easily the most versatile word in the english language (if you don't believe me, there's a documentary on the word that is both entertaining and enlightening). It can serve so many uses, and it gets all of it's meanings across quickly and easily. When you hear someone yell it in anger, you know exactly what's going on.

And as much as I love Farscape and the word Frell, I have to put Frak slightly above it in terms of awesomeness. It's close enough to the sound of the word it's meant to replace to easily convey the same meanings. Frell just never sounded harsh enough when someone was yelling it in anger for example.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
11-09-2007, 02:57 PM
Anybody know any Japanese words for swearing that isn't just speaking rudely or just an insult?http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e200/grokyou/eoffsi038.png

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e200/grokyou/eoffsi039.png

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e200/grokyou/eoffsi040.png

fire_of_avalon
11-09-2007, 04:08 PM
xD

I like swearing. It's colorful, it punches up my language. I don't direct my swears at people. That's rude. I just swear in general.

Ouch!
11-09-2007, 05:30 PM
Profanity is great. Profane words are like sentence enhancers.

Madame Adequate
11-09-2007, 05:44 PM
I use the bad words a lot. I think the f-word should be censored to frak though.

This is why we love you, Bunny. Frak > All.

Loony BoB
11-09-2007, 05:45 PM
Danielle already uses that after I got her hooked on BSG a while back. Pity she refuses to watch any kind of even slightly serious TV show these days, though. :( I need to catch up on Lost, Heroes, BSG and the 4400 sometime.

Denmark
11-09-2007, 05:48 PM
I think Kishi wins. The title text is the best part.

I don't mind swearing, in the right context. I always thought it was comical when my high school teachers would swear because like omg rulebreaker rebel! It's not professional though.

The Summoner of Leviathan
11-09-2007, 05:51 PM

Thoughts?If you want to curse, you have to smurfingly do it in Spanish. That's when the cursing gets EXTREME :eek:

French is always fun to swear in as well. I find it funny that French swear words are various parts of the Church.

Del Murder
11-09-2007, 06:06 PM
Swearing is hecka fun.

The Ceej
11-09-2007, 06:12 PM
Swearwords don't exist. There's no such thing as a word that's bad. My theory is that the FCC started calling certain words bad just so they could ban them from television and the radio, but that's a whole 'nother thread.

Words are just combinations of letters and sounds. Nothing bad about them. They don't mean anything. It's the context in which they are used and intent behind them that gives them their meanings.

In conclusion, the words that get censored on this forum are bull and there's no reason for them to be other than the site staff just wants to control people.

escobert
11-09-2007, 06:36 PM
I swear like its my job!

Jess
11-09-2007, 08:58 PM
I swear around people that I feel comfortable around. I swear a fair bit if it's around people I know, otherwise it's fairly minimal. :jess:

I Don't Need A Name
11-09-2007, 09:10 PM
Frell (which originated on the incredibly awesome sci-fi show Farscape)

:D this is one smart person xD

Frell, along with Yotz (Sh**), Dren (Sh** again), Fekkik (Ars*), Son Of A Hazmot (no prizes for that one), Hezmana (Hell) and Tralk (whore) are obviously the coolest curses on earth xD

Ramza Beoulve
11-09-2007, 10:03 PM
In conclusion, the words that get censored on this forum are bull and there's no reason for them to be other than the site staff just wants to control people.
Good try

Better luck next time :p

rubah
11-09-2007, 10:25 PM
fark ya'll

Miriel
11-09-2007, 11:57 PM

This is a fantastic idea.

eestlinc
11-10-2007, 12:31 AM
Your great-great-grandfather only cut himself across twenty percent of his torso.

Nominus Experse
11-10-2007, 06:24 PM
I don't fucking swear