PDA

View Full Version : British dub?

ReloadPsi
08-16-2009, 04:26 PM
Has anyone ever known of a foreign movie or anime that, having already been given an English dub with American actors, subsequently got a British-English dub for its PAL release?

And are there any British movie/anime fans out there who reckon they'd like to see more of such things?

Just thought I'd throw that up for discussion.

Shoeberto
08-16-2009, 04:34 PM
I don't really see much of a point in re-recording things just to have a different accent spoken by the majority of the characters. I think primarily who records the VA depends on what studios pick up the rights quickly enough to do it, though I imagine the profit margin of redistributing anime is probably so slim that only a handful of companies would want to do it. So distributors in the UK likely don't want to add any overhead cost to their product if an English dub already exists, even if it's American English.

Rereading that I see that you also mentioned movies... not sure. I could see it happening with films tbh, though likely the other way around; a film already dubbed with English actors being re-dubbed with Americans, just because of how a lot of Americans would perceived a dubbed movie if it wasn't done with American actors.

Dreddz
08-16-2009, 05:32 PM
Rereading that I see that you also mentioned movies... not sure. I could see it happening with films tbh, though likely the other way around; a film already dubbed with English actors being re-dubbed with Americans, just because of how a lot of Americans would perceived a dubbed movie if it wasn't done with American actors.

Mad Max II got an American dub despite being an English speaking film. I guess they thought Americans would find it too hard to understand an Australian accent. Its more uncommon these days that they go to the effort of re-dubbing a film in that fashion. I guess film producers have more faith in the American public nowadays. Although that doesn't change the fact that only one type of British accent (the Posh, easy to understand one) is allowed in American films.

Crimson
08-16-2009, 05:58 PM
Nah, i'm too used to Funi dubbing just about everything.

What I would like to see is a British/American made Anime that god forbid actually uses an Anime art style but wasnt made in Japan.

No, Avatar doesnt count.

Meat Puppet
08-16-2009, 06:04 PM
I see American commercials on Australian television which have been dubbed with Australian actors
That’s the closest I got :confused:

Rye
08-16-2009, 06:37 PM
Lazy Town!

aquatius
08-23-2009, 10:50 PM
I think there was a part in Shrek 2 which impersonated some American public figure and was redubbed with some other voice for the UK release because they thought we wouldn't get the joke...