PDA

View Full Version : Splenda

Rye
04-15-2010, 02:15 AM
Some people I know can't take it because they immediately taste the difference, some love it. I fall into the latter category; unless I'm tasting Splenda on the tip of my finger straight from the packet, I can't tell the different between sugar and Splenda. I really like to use as a replacement for when I put a little bit of sugar on things, like cereal, yogurt or fruit. That way additional calories aren't added and it all tastes just as good.

I've never baked with Splenda; I'm not so sure it'd taste as good in that case. I don't eat enough sweets to justify using artificial sweetener. I like the real stuff in that case.

I absolutely abhor Sweet' n 'Low. Equal is OK. Truvia is pretty crappy as well. Splenda all the way!

Do you like any of those?

qwertysaur
04-15-2010, 02:20 AM
eating splenda from the package is a really bad idea :|

Rye
04-15-2010, 02:22 AM
Have you done that? XD

qwertysaur
04-15-2010, 02:22 AM
yes. It was not very tasty. :(

Fonzie
04-15-2010, 02:25 AM
I just crush up the stuff, cut a line, and snort it straight up.

Sometimes I mix up a little cinnamon into it for that extra pip in my step.

Mo-Nercy
04-15-2010, 02:27 AM
I like Equal the best out of all the artificial sweetners. I like my coffees black, but I don't need sweetner to enjoy it. Only on rare occasions will I add it to the coffee, just for a change up.

Freya
04-15-2010, 02:34 AM
I like to use it in my coffee and tea since it dissolves. Otherwise I don't use it too often.

NorthernChaosGod
04-15-2010, 05:42 AM
Real sugar all the way. :cool:

rubah
04-15-2010, 06:17 AM
I like it. I wish they didn't dilute it down with dextrin-- seems like it would be cheaper to ship it that way, as well as easier to store. But I guess they tried that with saccharine and had trouble getting people to do the math on how much saccharine to use

then again, I don't think saccharine is all that stable at high baking temperatures, whereas splenda is.

diet coke with splenda amuses the hell out of me the way it froths up so much xD

Breine
04-15-2010, 10:04 AM
I'm all about real sugar.

That having been said I don't mind artificial sweetener. It's allright.

Chris
04-15-2010, 02:05 PM
I only ever use honey, and nuttin' else. It's sweeter than sugar, and it's quite good for your well-being, too. Lots of proteins and natural sugar.

Old Manus
04-15-2010, 02:30 PM
I'm pretty sure eating actual sugar isn't going to kill me anytime soon

theundeadhero
04-15-2010, 02:41 PM
Southern sugah :) I don't like fake things very often.

Madonna
04-15-2010, 05:29 PM
Agave nectar is a good sweetener replacement in lieu of cane sugar; I use it in teas, dressings, and for a lot of things other than baking!

When a baking recipe calls for sugar, please use real cane sugar; cooking may be an art, but baking is a science, and no good comes from expecting replacements to turn out the same way as the real deal!

I am not fond of artificial sweeteners, but most are okay in moderation! Aspartame is one I refrain from ingesting due to questionable safety; it has been approved for consumption, but there are studies out there which suggest it has been linked to an increase of brain tumors, and I know a few associates of mine to get headaches when they have it! Plus, the taste is icky!

The big thing to remember is that these things are all sweeteners, not replacements for sugar, so do not expect them to taste just like it!

LunarWeaver
04-15-2010, 10:15 PM
I use it! The cheap ass version of it, anyway. It doesn't even have a name on its huge package. At any rate, it makes my coffee taste good and that puts me in a nice mood. Every time I am in a nice mood, a homeless man or woman finds a home. It's a true story. A touching one. Oprah has yet to contact me.

Peegee
04-15-2010, 10:22 PM
I use sweet n' low but that's only because I'm an artificial sweetener noob (I want to drink tea again and I couldn't because I need sugar in my tea).

It does have an aftertaste but it's not unlikeable when diluted with the taste of Orange Pekoe.

Hey Rubahs what brand do you use? I like it. Is it Splenda? I'll try that next.

Quindiana Jones
04-15-2010, 10:49 PM
It tastes like breathing out after you've eaten too much sugar.

Considering that there's absolutely no point to it, I choose to just go with normal sugar.

rubah
04-16-2010, 12:35 AM
It's "Altern", so basically walmart splenda

Shlup
04-16-2010, 12:59 AM
I can't stand it; it ruins everything. I can instantly taste it and it's horrible. Like when they came out with those "Cranergy" cranberry energy drinks and I was all excited and bought one and took a big swig and was like "OMFG NOOOO I TASTE SPLENDA!!!" I was crushed.

qwertysaur
04-16-2010, 02:35 AM
remember, tea + honey = delicious

Fonzie
04-16-2010, 02:46 AM
I can't stand it; it ruins everything. I can instantly taste it and it's horrible. Like when they came out with those "Cranergy" cranberry energy drinks and I was all excited and bought one and took a big swig and was like "OMFG NOOOO I TASTE SPLENDA!!!" I was crushed.

Basically this, but without all the excessive hormone rage. :D