PDA

View Full Version : Robots Vs. Super Soldiers

Wolf Kanno
09-01-2010, 09:41 AM
Let's say it was possible to make these and now suppose we could have one. Which is a better military asset that would be more effective the giant robot (mecha) like Gundam or Front Mission or the super soldier like Master Chief and Zack Fair.

This was actually a thread from the first forum I ever went to and I was actually really surprised how serious everyone took the question. Doubt that will happen here though. ;)

kotora
09-01-2010, 09:53 AM
Gundams aren't even robots, plus they don't make a lot of sense. Why put huge legs on a machine that can fly and float in the air anyway? What does it need arms and a head for?

Pheesh
09-01-2010, 10:08 AM
What does it matter? Both options will inevitably turn on us anyway.

Rodarian
09-01-2010, 10:11 AM
Hmmmm its interesting...

Lets have Pros and Cons for the two.

Mecha:

Pros:

You can easy swap weapons

Carry more gross ton weight

Can be upgraded

Last longer.

Cons:

Is prohibitively expensive in terms of manufacturing
Would take years of field testing before actually production models come out.

Might squish an innocent civilian (provided that you're fighting on the side of good)

Type of Fuel.

Super Soldiers:

Pros

Can be trained easily.

Think quickly of strategies and tactical defense

field testing tends to be shorter.

Longer endurance (as opposed to refueling by mechas)

More S.S can be deployed at any given time.

Sneak into confined spaces

Cons:

Drug side effects
Shorter Shelf life (being KIA)
Morals and Ethics

Anyone can add to this btw

I'm split on the matter!!

Agent Proto
09-01-2010, 11:49 AM
Robots have a lower chance to rebel against the superiors if the mission is considered suicidal. Super soldiers may be super versions of today's soldiers, but wouldn't they still be humans? They'd be "WTF?! Thay's crazy, I've got a family to feed!'

Clo
09-01-2010, 03:25 PM
Yeah, I would trust the humans WAY less than I would trust the robots. I know the whole robot uprising thing, a la I, Robot and a million other science fiction movies is a viable option, but still... I feel like that is still way more controllable because it can be monitored (I assume someone would notice if robots were doing something a little different, such as, Will Smith, haha).

Since one can't even attempt to control a human, I would trust super soldiers less, and they would be more fallible by nature anyway.

Robots, man. Robots.

Pheesh
09-01-2010, 03:46 PM
Yeah, I would trust the humans WAY less than I would trust the robots. I know the whole robot uprising thing, a la I, Robot and a million other science fiction movies is a viable option, but still... I feel like that is still way more controllable because it can be monitored (I assume someone would notice if robots were doing something a little different, such as, Will Smith, haha).

Yeah, but whoever steps up to stop them is going to get hammered by the critics.

Bunny
09-01-2010, 04:01 PM
Robits.

Psychotic
09-01-2010, 04:09 PM
I saw Episode III and I'm pretty sure the Sith won that war.

Peegee
09-01-2010, 09:08 PM
If you notice the feeble attempt at logistics in the first few episodes of Evangelion (before it degraded to mindless psychology), a mecha takes a lot of energy - they had to give Unit 01 its own dedicated power cable.

A super soldier, while its energy needs would be greater than usual, would not be as excessive. Also a super soilder is easier to control if s/he goes out of control (though those silly movies say otherwise). A mecha would wipe out most of a city before we could do anything about it, or even knew it was happening.

Depression Moon
09-01-2010, 09:23 PM
I'm not sure why a super soldier would need more energy than another person. Capt. America and Hulk have much more stamina than most human beings and some variations in comics didn't need sleep or eat on a regular basis.

I would go with super soldiers because they are cooler. If they all have different powers though, then it could be a lot more difficult if a lot of them rebel. Someone also mentioned super soldiers going against suicide missions. Military leaders had tricked soldiers into that situation sometimes. Still could apply to super soldiers.

Peegee
09-01-2010, 09:28 PM
I'm not sure why a super soldier would need more energy than another person. Capt. America and Hulk have much more stamina than most human beings and some variations in comics didn't need sleep or eat on a regular basis.

I would go with super soldiers because they are cooler. If they all have different powers though, then it could be a lot more difficult if a lot of them rebel. Someone also mentioned super soldiers going against suicide missions. Military leaders had tricked soldiers into that situation sometimes. Still could apply to super soldiers.

http://www.comicbookdaily.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/act454cover.jpg

I don't see why, given real life laws of thermodynamics, that a person who expends more energy than the average person (say a super soldier) would have to eat more/more often than the average sedentary American. Just saying.

Raistlin
09-01-2010, 09:33 PM

... and those were obviously scientific. Active people need to eat more than less active people.

Anyway, I'd go with robots. They're just cooler. Although I would change my mind if I was made into a super soldier.

Peegee
09-01-2010, 09:35 PM

... and those were obviously scientific. Active people need to eat more than less active people.

Anyway, I'd go with robots. They're just cooler. Although I would change my mind if I was made into a super soldier.

omg yes.

Depression Moon
09-01-2010, 09:52 PM
Is this supposed to be based on realism? That pic to me seemed like Supe was just being greedy and was trying to make up bull for them to feed his magically huge stomach and they wouldn't question him, since he's superman. A super soldier's power could be the ability to duplicate any cells or component in his body. ATP's give energy and with his power he could supply himself endlessly with it.

qwertysaur
09-01-2010, 10:04 PM
Quina is the answer to everything. :quina:

NorthernChaosGod
09-02-2010, 12:15 AM
I voted robots because of mecha, but is this automatons or fucking piloted vehicles? If it's automatons then fuck that noise, but mecha are dope.

Crop
09-02-2010, 12:37 AM
Robots. I'd be a cocky, evil overlord with an army of bots at my command. Of course I'd be a wimp really and when the hero defeats my army I'd beg for my life.
Good film.