PDA

View Full Version : Was "Atma" supposed to have a storyline?

MJN SEIFER
11-23-2010, 03:57 PM
Both times you fight Atma (posibly supposed to "Ultima" or "Ultimate") he gives these speeches about something, especialy on the second battle:

I'm Atma......
Left here since birth...
Forgotten in the river of time...
I've had an eternity to...
ponder the meaning of things...
And now I have an answer...

This seemes like there was supposed to be some backstory here, I really don't understand why Square felt the need to mention that monster you fight twice is "searching for an answer"?

Also, on a side note; does Atma have allies to summon during the first battle or not? Because I've never scene them, but Atma clearly says "Feeble creatures GO!" like he's sending these "feeble creatures" out to attack you, but I never saw them...

Hollycat
11-23-2010, 04:54 PM
he's talking about the party.

Roogle
11-23-2010, 11:07 PM
You may want to look at the updated translation in the Gameboy Advance port in order to understand what the Ultima Weapon is talking about. Lines like "Feeble creatures, GO!" only add to the confusion about a topic like this.

blackmage_nuke
11-24-2010, 02:43 AM
In Albrook some random scholar in the weapons store says

"I'm a scholar of weapons. 1000 years ago, during the War of the Magi, 2 so-called Atma Weapons existed.
One changed a person's power into a sword, the other was an monster, bred for mass destruction."

In the GBA version he sas
"I'm a scholar of ancient weaponry. Two weapons known as Ultima Weapons were used during the War of the Magi a thousand years ago. One was a sword whose blade sprang rom its wielder's strength. The other was a monster born for destruction."

Wolf Kanno
11-24-2010, 03:47 AM
I doubt he was suppose to have any larger role than he did. I haven't read anywhere about a non-used scenario for the boss. I think we were just suppose to be "OH :bou::bou::bou::bou:! IT'S THE ULTIMA WEAPON I HEARD ABOUT EARLIER!!!!" He's got a minor back story that adds mystique to him but I don't think he was suppose to be as involved as the WEAPONS from VII.

Roogle
11-24-2010, 10:46 PM
Here is the dialogue from Ultima Weapon in the Gameboy Advance version:

Ultima: "My name is Ultima... I am power both ancient and unrivaled...

I do not bleed, for I am but strength given form...

Feeble creatures of flesh... Your time is nigh!"

Ultima Shadow
11-29-2010, 12:42 PM
Small details like "he was used in the war of the magi a thousand years ago" does make him more interesting, even if it's just a small piece of information that plays no further part in the actual story. The details surrounding Atma/Ultima Weapon just makes the battle(s) feel more intense and interesting in my opinion. =P

Roogle
11-29-2010, 10:29 PM
There is a unique mechanic about the battle with Ultima Weapon that allows you to defeat it by forcing it to deplete its own MP reserve or casting Rasp and Osmose to eliminate its MP reserve by yourself. I thought that was interesting and I wonder why they implemented this for this battle, specifically.

Mirage
11-29-2010, 10:50 PM
I thought it was just another subtle way to tell us that he is pure magical energy given physical form. Take away his energy, and the physical form ceases to exist.

Also, I don't think that mechanic is unique to Ultima Weapon. I am pretty sure there are a couple of other magical bosses in the game that uses it. The magi master (or whatever his name was) at the top of the fanatics' tower would be one of them.

Ultima Shadow
11-30-2010, 10:12 AM
Yeah, pretty much that. "I do not bleed, for I am but strength given form" makes it sound like he might be made entierly of magical energy.

And if I remember correctly, the Magi Master will just be unable to actually do anything without MP. He won't instantly die from losing it.

Mirage
12-01-2010, 12:58 AM
Maybe it was that other ghost-like boss. The one in the magitek factory. They use the same sprite I think.

MJN SEIFER
12-09-2010, 09:46 PM
Here is the dialogue from Ultima Weapon in the Gameboy Advance version:

There is a unique mechanic about the battle with Ultima Weapon that allows you to defeat it by forcing it to deplete its own MP reserve or casting Rasp and Osmose to eliminate its MP reserve by yourself. I thought that was interesting and I wonder why they implemented this for this battle, specifically.

It can be done on other enemies - the Flame Eater for example. It's also used in the Barrier Pillar in FFIX if that counts.

Ultima: "My name is Ultima... I am power both ancient and unrivaled...

I do not bleed, for I am but strength given form...

Feeble creatures of flesh... Your time is nigh!"

So, from that I would gather that "Feeble Creatures" are humans, and humans are gonna die soon? It's strange how the US SNES version makes sound like he's summoning his "Minions" (when he has none).

Anyway, I have found the actual Japanese translation;

My name is Ultima......
The ultimate power made in antiquity......
I am power, found not in life......
Be gone, feeble creatures!!

Again, this seems like he's directing against you, rather than summoning someone. However even with the Japanese version of the following i'm still none the wiser, to understanding his background;

My name is Ultima......
One forgotten beyond time......
Not long after I was made
was I left in this place......
Thought have I on what I ought do...
Kept thinking, for an eternity......
It seems the answer is come......

I just wish I knew what he meant by "finding an answer".

Hollycat
12-09-2010, 11:07 PM
the answer he is looking for is what he should do with his life. He was left alone after his creation for eons, which he spent pondering his meaning in life, now hes decided what he wants to do.

mikuel
01-02-2011, 09:24 AM
ultima... I was gonna pee in my pants when i readed its name. but it was too easy to win... but anyways. What i think about ultima, is that he is forming of multiple espers. He was in floating continent, and I am pretty sure nothing could have flewed it there.

and its second forme, i dont remember name, was imprisoned by kefka? why? Well maybe because kefta couldn't kill it? this is kinda hole in my esper theory, because if atma would have been esper, kefka would have killed it for magitite.
Maybe kefka wanted it to grew stronger before killing it?

And it didnt drop magitite... maybe it was morphed by magitites in esper world? we may never know...

Christmas
01-02-2011, 11:21 AM
I alway thought Atma is an offspring of Atma Weapon. And when he dies, he will said something like

" I am a WEAPON! LIKE MY FATHER BEFORE ME!"

Roogle
01-03-2011, 06:33 PM
ultima... I was gonna pee in my pants when i readed its name. but it was too easy to win... but anyways. What i think about ultima, is that he is forming of multiple espers. He was in floating continent, and I am pretty sure nothing could have flewed it there.

and its second forme, i dont remember name, was imprisoned by kefka? why? Well maybe because kefta couldn't kill it? this is kinda hole in my esper theory, because if atma would have been esper, kefka would have killed it for magitite.
Maybe kefka wanted it to grew stronger before killing it?

I was under the impression that Ultima Weapon was a separate existence from the espers, and that it was sealed away until the rise of the Floating Continent whereupon it escaped and attacked the party as they wandered through it.