PDA

View Full Version : The Official Video Game Short Story Thread

Pike
08-09-2011, 09:04 PM
Inspired by Huxley's post here (http://forums.eyesonff.com/general-gaming-discussion/138166-project-zomboid-fun-little-indie-zombie-survival-rpg-2.html#post3011314):

In this thread every post must be an in-character account of the last game you played. It can be as long or brief as you like, and as silly or as serious as you like, but it must be in character. Screenshots are not required, but are encouraged! :jess:

----

Day 4. There is still no sign of the surface. My world continues to consist largely of rocks and dirt. I'm really not sure why the yahoos at corporate wanted me to come down here to begin with; do we really need iron and copper that badly? At least they've set me up with everything that I need, though. And at least I've fashioned myself slightly better armor, so I no longer have to wear that bucket on my head.

Did I mention that the highlight of my day was no longer having to wear that bucket? What a crazy job. I mean, I know I was desperate when I went to the unemployment office, but this is nuts. Anyways, that's a whole 'nother rant. As I was saying, I've got a nice helmet now. Maybe if I can get a good picture in the torchlight (doubtful) I'll toss it up on Facebook after this whole thing is over.

Well, that's all for today's report. I'm going to eat a handful of mushrooms (so much for that drug test) and then hole myself up in a makeshift rock fort and rest up for a bit. Maybe take a nap. Although I'm not sure how successful I'll be with that constant disgusting splatting noise coming from the other side of the wall. I wonder what it is, anyway? Guess I'll find out tomorrow...

http://www.tumblr.com/photo/1280/8628939117/1/tumblr_lpla0m3C6I1qdg3a3

Slothy
08-13-2011, 04:42 AM
30 views and 4 days and no one has added anything? I'll try to slap something together this weekend since I like this idea.

Pike
08-13-2011, 05:09 AM
30 views and 4 days and no one has added anything? I'll try to slap something together this weekend since I like this idea.

<3 <3 <3

And a quick note to people who are scared to jump in; it can just be a couple sentences or something. Or a haiku. Or whatever.

Madame Adequate
08-13-2011, 07:38 AM
Haikus can be fun
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

Shaibana
08-13-2011, 12:33 PM
alright... ill make a day report to ^^

Some people hate me, and others adore me for what i do.
though that dictator is trying to make my life a living hell by setting the locals up against me, not everyone falls for it. there are even protests against me..

the new powers i swapped with Kuo sure come in handy. But i dont know how to defeat that thing yet. he is not the only problem becaus The Militia, Ice men and those monsters are not making it any easyer. lets hope they kill eachother first before they come to me.....

Infamous 2

p.s im not sure what to do with this thread :P do i have to make a sort of riddle?

Pike
08-13-2011, 04:46 PM
p.s im not sure what to do with this thread :P do i have to make a sort of riddle?

You can if you want, but you don't have to. It's all just for fun, really. P.S. I like your idea of putting the game name under a spoiler.

Shaibana
08-13-2011, 07:48 PM
i do like these kind of 'ridles' ^^
writing a 'day report', and than guess from what game it could be..
Im not the best in it though :P (i think it was to obvious xD)

Psychotic
08-13-2011, 08:23 PM
The whole point of Space Station 13 is destruction, disaster and general insanity on a wide scale. Here is my favourite example of this, when me and dear old DAAAAAAAYN (dk) played.

You can choose your job, and the two of us decided to be Toxins Researchers. Toxins Researchers get to hang out in a big ol' lab filled with a delightful array of gases. Although their purpose is to "research toxins", this actually means "build bombs". As such, it is a popular place to gatecrash - everyone wants a slice of that sweet bomb pie.

Anyway, we were getting set up, and put on our gas masks and oxygen tanks - a must for a Toxins Researchers. Suddenly, we noticed that a gentleman in white was having trouble opening the doors to the lab. It turns out he was a newbie, and actually did have clearance as he was a third toxins researcher, but Dan did not know this, and duly called for security. Dan then forgets that he has done this.

We watched this guy bumble about the lab for a bit before unleashing our usual defences. He's harmless enough, but smurf it. I go up to the gas cannister storage and unleash the valves at max pressure on all of the cannisters of CO2. The pressure was so great that I got pushed out of there by the force of the gas.

And right as I had done that, through the maintenance tunnels at the bottom, security arrives. The Head of Security, no less, and some lesser officer. "He's the guy who was breaking in here!" I say, pointing at our guest. They duly begin tasering the tit out of the poor fellow. Dan, as I said, had forgotten that he had summoned Security there, and as Security are dickheads, he assumed they had come to beat the tit out of all of us for the hell of it, and he was not standing for it.

He grabbed a screwdriver, charged at the Head of Security, and started trying to jab it into the bloke's eyes. He did not like this. The Head of Security has a Laser Gun, only one of two in the game, and as you can imagine it is quite powerful, and turned it on Dan. I was at a crossroads - do I rush in to help? If I do, they will surely kill me too, but if not, Dan will surely die.

Deus Ex Machina made the decision for me. The guard and the HoS both dropped to the floor for a couple of seconds, and then got back up. The gas! I quickly grabbed a Toolbox and charged into the fray. There was then a desperate struggle: Me and Dan with our toolbox and screwdriver were of course outgunned by the Security Guard and HoS wielding a taser and a laser, but we had an advantage in that we weren't, y'know, slowly choking to death. I think my guard managed to tase me to the ground at one point, and then began stumbling towards the exit. He kept taking a few steps and then passing out. I quickly got to my feet and dragged him back into the gas - no escape for you, smurfer! With the gas now extremely dense, there would be no getting up for either Security man or our new Toxins Researcher friend, but we made sure with liberal chokings and toolboxings all round.

Success! All three dead, and now we had the security men's weapons and armour to loot! But of course, SS13 wouldn't be SS13 without disaster immediately following. I can't really remember how the fire started. I think some other smurfer broke in when we were wrestling Security and threw an incindiary grenade, although I am pretty sure there was another fire in the maintenance tunnels too. I do remember me and Dan desperately running through the tunnels, trying to escape, before being trapped in a dead end with nowhere else to go.

This was the end. We had a good run, and said our goodbyes. And as the fire got closer and closer, Dan dropped dead from the force of the heat. I imagine his laser wounds had weakened him. I stood at the end of the tunnel, preparing for the same. I waited for my demise. And waited. ...and waited. The fire seemed to be receding. I was burned... but alive?

I MUST SAVE MY DEAD FRIEND! I drag Dan's corpse out of the maintenance tunnels and through the station. Naturally the station itself is a mess, with fires, explosions, power outages and gaping holes in the side of the ship all over the place, but I heroically perserve, and get to genetics. ...but I can't get through the door! I quickly grab a fire extinguisher and smash it on the reinforced windows until they finally break and we're in!

I then put dan in the DNA modifier and bring him back to life. Then we spend the rest of the time until the station explodes turning performing horrific genetic experiments. We offer to give people superhuman powers, but end up turning them into monkeys or giving them epilepsy or tourette's or something. Y'know, as y'do. :shobon:

Incidentally, Dan says that in Deadchat, our fellow toxins researcher was telling everyone an epic fable. Like Dan, he seemed to think Security had broken into Toxins to beat his ass. Apparently his fellow scientists (us!) had not taken kindly to this and rebelled against their cruel overlords to save his life, but had not been quick enough. The truth is, of course, it is entirely our fault he died, in that we called for the security guards that smashed his face in and released the gas that choked him, but whatever! I can live with being called a hero. :)

Shaibana
08-13-2011, 09:32 PM
i havent read it all but... Dead space?

Psychotic
08-13-2011, 09:35 PM
No. Space Station 13!

Shaibana
08-14-2011, 11:20 AM
ow ok.. never hear of that game ^^

Skyblade
08-15-2011, 06:06 AM
11/27

I write this as the days go by, and we drift ever toward oblivion. We've lost our way, our goal. Everything we've done has come to naught. What is left to do? What do we fight now? Since Ikutski-san's betrayal, nothing has been the same. We continue to visit Tartarus, but we no longer have a goal to aim for. Every step forward seems to coincide with a step back. Mitsuru-senpai begins to recover from her father's tragic and heroic death, only for Junpei to lose the one closest to him.

What can I do? How can I help my friends? I train, and I fight, but I can never find the Answer I need. The Answer my friends need. I must press on, I must find a way for us to stop the Fall. To stop the terrible evil we caused. And to help my friends recover from their tragic losses.

Igor said that a Persona is a facet of our personality that serves as a mask to face the world's hardships. Yet it seems that when we face the greatest of those hardships, those masks crumble.

Persona 3 Portable
11/27 is shortly after the death of Chidori, before Junpei recovers and before Ryoji's revelation on the orchestration of the fall. One of the most depressing times for the members of SEES, and they are feeling depressed and impotent. They know now that they have started the Fall, but have yet to find anything they can do to fight it.

I'll probably do more as I get further. The final battle should be awesome. Already planning it out.

Shaibana
08-17-2011, 02:40 PM
after all what hapened i decided to sail off to spain with the family that i have left.
Mother does not speak at all and im worried. theyre still after me...
My uncle is trying to convince me to stay, claiming that my father was more than just a banker... i dont understand...
he claimes that there is a conspirecy behind this all what lead to my fathers death, that more people are involved and that i should seek revenge, not just for my family´s sake but to prevent a greater cause.

i said to Uncle that i did not want this all and he was disapointed. he is heading for a diferent city to fight, and i am planning to join him.

Assassins creed 2, i started over and this is how far i am, haha!! cant recall the name of the city atm :o

Rantz
08-17-2011, 03:56 PM
I am standing in a desolate landscape. The ground beneath my feet is solid rock. I can see a hill and some bushes, but other than that it's nothing but a plain, barren wasteland from what I can see.

All I know is my mission. As soon as I start moving I realize there is no return. I have to move forward - it's the only way.

I can make out some shapes in the sky now. Something hovering right above my path. Will it fall down on me? I hope not. But I'm seeing a more immediate threat. There appears to be a very angry-looking creature heading straight towards me. It's as tall as I am, fungiform and quickly edging sideways in my direction with no sign of stopping.

As it comes close, I jump. Jumping has always been my specialty. The wind hits my face as I soar like no other. This is what I live for. In midair, I correct my velocity and manage to land right on top of the beast. Its helplessness is total as I sink my boots into its skull, crushing it. The monster fades away -- was it not real? It sure felt real.

I have arrived below the shapes in the sky that I saw before. They look man-made, like big blocks suspended in midair. Three parts of the block in front of me look uninteresting, but the two inbetween them, and the one right above me -- oh, they are alluring. Shiny and endlessly blinking... I can't resist. I jump. I jump as high as I can right towards the blinking block above me and I mash my head into it as hard as I can, all concern for my own health vanished at the promise of this golden block.

A great big golden coin jumps out. I catch it. Who can deny free money? Exhilarated, I move forward and jump straight into the next blinking block. Out comes the thing I least expected. The biggest mushroom I've ever seen, sliding over the ground at great speed. I feel its draw, as if it was calling to me. I start running towards it. I open my mouth as wide as I can, I don't know how I'm going to eat it but I want it, I need it... Miraculously, I swallow the gigantic thing in one bite. I can feel it changing me. This is amazing. My body is reacting in ways I did not imagine possible. I feel myself growing to gigantic proportions. Without stopping to wonder, I jump again and mash the third blinking block. I catch another coin in my large hands. Nothing surprises me anymore.

Jump. I'm mashing the other blocks to pieces out of pure joy. Jump. Jump. They're made out of bricks. I don't care. I'll mash them all. I can do this.

Super Mario.

Shaibana
08-17-2011, 05:36 PM
i figured it out at ''A great big golden coin jumps out.'' ... and LMFAO xD

haha ur really good at this :P

Del Murder
08-18-2011, 12:35 AM
Day 6

They keep coming. Faster this time. Like rain, but this is nothing from the heavens. God wouldn't send such pain onto His people. This comes from the depths of hell. It's what I tell myself. It helps.

If I can get things level, the burden eases. I become more grounded. But somtimes it gets difficult. My eyesight isn't so good anymore. If one thing falls out of place then the pressure builds. My heart pounds as I can see the end. It's all closing in around me. But then I get a gift from above. The exact thing I needed most. It makes me think there actually is something looking out for me.

I've decided I hate the fat one. There's no where for him to go. He just sits there, obtrusive, destroying everything I tried to build. He always seems to show up at the wrong time. The oppoisite is true for the skinny one. He doesn't seem to show up enough. I think I hate him too. If only he wasn't worth so much to me.

It never ends. Clearing it out just makes it come faster. Sometimes I just want to slump down and let it pour over me. Let it build up until there is nowhere left to go. Then it will be all over and I will be free at last.

Skyblade
08-18-2011, 01:32 AM
Day 6

They keep coming. Faster this time. Like rain, but this is nothing from the heavens. God wouldn't send such pain onto His people. This comes from the depths of hell. It's what I tell myself. It helps.

If I can get things level, the burden eases. I become more grounded. But somtimes it gets difficult. My eyesight isn't so good anymore. If one thing falls out of place then the pressure builds. My heart pounds as I can see the end. It's all closing in around me. But then I get a gift from above. The exact thing I needed most. It makes me think there actually is something looking out for me.

I've decided I hate the fat one. There's no where for him to go. He just sits there, obtrusive, destroying everything I tried to build. He always seems to show up at the wrong time. The oppoisite is true for the skinny one. He doesn't seem to show up enough. I think I hate him too. If only he wasn't worth so much to me.

It never ends. Clearing it out just makes it come faster. Sometimes I just want to slump down and let it pour over me. Let it build up until there is nowhere left to go. Then it will be all over and I will be free at last.

Nice. Took me a while to get that it was Tetris.

Pike
08-18-2011, 01:55 AM
I love all the contributions so far. Del's sort of reminded me of this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Alw5hs0chj0).

Del Murder
08-18-2011, 02:10 AM
I love all the contributions so far. Del's sort of reminded me of this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Alw5hs0chj0).
That was awesome.

Jiro
08-18-2011, 03:03 AM
Please dig with due care
We cannot afford a death
Mark them with a flag

Del Murder
08-18-2011, 03:28 AM
Chomping for my life
The big pellet in my grasp
Now I'm the hunter

Pike
08-18-2011, 06:47 AM
If I keep digging
I'll find those nasty dragons
And blow them all up

keeping with the arcade theme we've got going here :tongue:

Shaibana
08-18-2011, 11:38 AM
Please dig with due care
We cannot afford a death
Mark them with a flag
Mine sweeper right? :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHY8NKj3RKs&feature=related

@ Pike Lmao at that vid xD

haha so funny how u ppl can 'hide' games like mario and tetris behind story's like that :P

Martyr
08-20-2011, 03:56 AM
This was a story I wrote as an aggressive, lengthy insult for some Megatokyo forumite who wrote a really incredibly stupid Zelda poem.
It's the first and oldest piece of work I ever placed online. I hating putting original work online, and I haven't been to MT in eons, so I may as well res this piece of crap here for you pitiful souls to suffer through.
Some of it prolly won't make sense.
And there's no mystery about the video game of this story. At least, not if you've ever played a video game. I suppose somebody like Amerigo Vespucci wouldn't know, but it isn't his fault. He died a long time ago.
-----------------------------

Thou Shalt Not Steal

Well, that bastard pig-demon has taken advantage of my mercy and come back for more punishment. I should have known that simple silver arrow could not quench his hate.
His countless minions drove down from the mountains in an avalanche of rock spitting arachnids, arrow shooting fat things, and grass hopping… grass hopping crab-like things that also have a lot of legs, whatever they are-
They swarmed into the castle while I was away, away fighting off something or other for some farmer chick, ya know, getting those last few thrills before marriage, ya know, and…
They took my princess hostage. Again. Damn it!

When I came back to my place, expecting to see my beautiful, gigantic, human love machine, I was greeted by a couple of saps in Hyrulian military uniform, tights, and they told me that the princess was gone. Again.
Those worthless bastards. Here I am, a four foot tall elf, a little chubby around the waist, and these humans stand before that figure of me and claim that they can’t save the world when I can. It was absolutely preposterous. Complete nonsense. Without a word, I left. I just started walking back to the mountains. I figured I’d just go up and get her back, the same way I always do. We walk through some dungeons, find keys, kill “bosses.” Let’s do it.

It was seven days after I left my place before I realized that I had made a crucial mistake. I was so hasty to leave that I only brought my sword and shield. Now, when you have a spell reflecting, all projectile blocking, full body shield of golden brilliance and a legendary, infallible, infinitely powerful, Hyrulean Excalibur of a Magic Master Sword as your only equipment, you’re usually pretty well off. But, however, such was not the case for me. Here’s why:

Ya see, I had found a little group of blue barbarian monsters camping at the base of one mountain north of the castle. Apparently, they were a little tipsy, and they began to squabble over some arrow or another. I charged out from behind a rock and killed every slobbering brute of them, but one seemed to find a hidden reflex in its drunkenness and managed to hurl a bomb at me before passing away under my mighty blade. The bomb struck the mountain, and, with a jingle from the heavens, the rocks parted for my entrance. I ripped a couple explosives off one of the dead critters and, with an elfin screech, ran into Gannon’s chilly hideaway.
Clad in blue mail and wielding razor sharp broadswords, the knights of darkness assaulted me upon my entrance. With their steady march, they surrounded me and closed in. I dodged their blows, and maneuvered around their majestic capes to supercede their strategy with my skill in the art of killing. Blah blah blah….

Only after I had dragged their corpses into the center of the room and built a pyramid of carcasses and then pushed some blocks into a perfect pentagram around their bodies in accordance with the sound of four musical chimes being struck in unision by a series of well-timed bombs did the secret door open. And as soon as the steel clanged against the rock, a spiked cube rushed out from the darkness. I hoped over it; Gannon ought to know that I am far too seasoned a veteran dungeon raider to fall for such traps.

What I didn’t expect was for the darkness of the room beyond to spread to mine. Suddenly, I was blinded, and I hadn’t brought a candle with me. Next came a sturdy clamp on my left arm. I pulled free, acidic goo dripping off my sleeves, and realized, despite my temporary blindness, that my shield was missing. “You crusty”-
I cleaved the monster before me, but I could feel more all over me. They bit at me, their eyes didn’t glow, and their slimy remains did stick to my finely groomed hair. I remember just swinging in all directions. Even my blade did not provide the dimmest light, but it did chop up monsters. I sunk my weapon in with many a spewing flesh chunk, and ripped it out to cause a chain reaction of repetitive cleave strokes. I stomped across the increasingly squishy ground and bombed a Dodongo before it could begin to realize that it’s thundering footsteps gave away its location.
The rush of the slaughter brought on enough energy to run through the black rooms. I gripped my sword in both hands and hacked through anything, living or nonliving, that got in my way. I had cast away all the grace and style that I had prized so greatly in the past. I had no more bombs so I kicked through weak walls, I had no boomerang, so I simply didn’t miss when I swung my sword, I had no wand, no candle, and no bow. When the one eyed crabs came, I just stabbed them in the eye. Maybe an arrow shows more class, but a sword works just as well!
Behind the roomful of crabs, there was a doorway, and, as usual, Gannon was standing there, confining himself to some tiny room and awaiting my arrival. He just wasted his time waiting for me. No wonder he hated all life, his sucks!

As I entered the room, Gannon cleared his throat in preparation for his painstakingly crafted villain speech. We both knew that a boss fight could never begin properly without the villain first imparting some pretty grouping of hateful four syllable words. I walked up to his face and felt a puff of rancid air clutter my sense of smell. The first and only word spoken in Gannon’s eloquent speech was the word, “The.”
Instead of listening, I lopped off that ugly head of his neck and shoved his porky body into a fire pit conveniently located on the side of the room.
There were lots of fire pits. Their purpose was clearly for some form of intimidation. I was just concerned with cooking up some fresh pork. Unfortunately, among all the equipment I had forgotten, forks and knives were included. And barbeque sauce. How can I eat Gannon without a fork or barbeque sauce? I let the Gannon roast while I hunted for Zelda. Her dress was hung on a hook, which was good, because I love seeing Zelda naked, but her perfect body was nowhere to be seen.

Angrily, I turned back to the dead monster over the fire, but there, instead of a headless pig, I saw my beloved. Very headless, and very juicy, her flesh getting to its most succulent point by now; Zelda was roasting over Gannon’s hell fire! As I stared in shock, I heard a voice behind me.
“I bet you wish you killed me now!”
I turned to the monster, stuttering, “B-But h-h-how? How are you alive?”
It sneered, “Remember the silver arrow you green turd? You can’t kill me without one of those!”
I snarled back, “You’re supposed to leave one lying around here you jack-hole! I fought through this entire dungeon and didn’t find a single treasure that could focus on any of your monster’s weak points!”
“But you did see a silver arrow.” The hog was gloating now. “The moblins outside the fort were squabbling over it. You simply didn’t take the time to fetch it from them. You let your blind rage get the best of you, now, didn’t you.”
“Thou Shalt Not Kill!” I shrieked.
That line doesn't make sense unless you read the stupid poem that inspired me to write this drivel

Gannon nodded. He walked over to the princess, who was beginning to burn, and kicked a chip of charcoal off her leg. “I think you’ve done enough killing. Give me that Triforce of power.”

So I traded him the tri-force for some paper and a pen. He said he’d mail this out for me. At least the next hero won’t make the same mista-

leader of mortals
08-20-2011, 08:06 AM
The day had started off like any other day. I was just out with my friends, kicking around our ball. We were having a lot of fun. All of the adults were away, something about a large operation of some sort. I didn't quite understand it at the time. I wish I could have held on to such blissful ignorance.

The day took a turn for the worst near noon. It was hardly nothing, actually. It was just the first link in the chain of terrible events. Someone had come and talked to me. I told him my dreams of being a pro-athlete, but I doubt he understood me. My grammar was terrible back then. Soon after, he kicks my ball. He must have been a pro, himself; the ball went flying for probably half a mile, at least. I'm sure he had the best of intentions, he was probably just showing me proper technique. In the boredom that followed, I decided to go back home, and take a nap. My day of playing had worn me out. My parents told me that they wouldn't be long, looking back I now realize the pained look in their face as they had told me this. I didn't notice the look back then, however. How I wish that I didn't have to constantly be reminded, be tortured, by their pained look. How I wish I could still have that blissful ignorance.

Waking from my nap, my parents were not yet home. Something loud had woken me up. It sounded as if my home had exploded. I look around, and nothing. The sound came from the north, from the beach. Instantly, in my head, in my ignorant smurfing little head, I think fireworks. I think about the big party that must be on the beach. That was what my parents were doing, that was what everyone's parents must have been doing. They were planning and throwing a festival. How I wish that there was that festival. How I wish I could still have that blissful ignorance.

As I ran to the beach, not even looking up, in a full-force sprint, I saw my dearest friend. He saw the smoke in the air, the thick, black smoke. He was worried for his parents. They too were at the operation. I told him to come, I told him it was bonfire smoke, and fireworks smoke. I told him it was the only thing it could be. I told him all that my ignorant little mind had told me. He came with me, the poor, poor kid. I told him we'd see my parents on the way. They were coming to get me. They told me they would come back. This was why. That's what I told him. He believed me. We ran to the beach, expecting the largest festival we'd ever seen in our lives. Only one person tried to stop us, but we weren't going to miss out on the party. We ran onto the beach. Ahead of us lied hundreds, if not thousands of dead bodies. The parents of all my friends, the parents of the friend I had brought here, my own parents. Finally, after hearing the story, I realized what a fool I was. My friend found his parents before I found mine. He never left their side. He wouldn't. He starved there. He let himself die, and it was all my fault. I was alone now, alone forever. I would have killed myself just like my friend if my dream hadn't kept me alive, kept me going, and my dream is thus: I want to be a blitzball player when I grow up.

Mercen-X
08-21-2011, 10:04 PM
“I’ve always hated the rain. Not so much the water soaking my skin as the electricity in the air I associate with it. Fell thunder elementals and Mardu Entites. How is a man supposed to provide for his self and his family when these creatures are haunting our hunting grounds near or far? My livelihood depends on my ability to skin wolves and hyenas and pluck teeth and bones from deadly behemoths. The rains add that I must avoid combating anywhere near these vicious elementals or simply avoid using Magicks. It’s fine not to use Magicks. I can fell a beast without. But those entities are touchy. You can’t ever be cautious enough with them. One misstep and you’re dog meat. Even as I pluck the feathers out the hide of a cockatrice, I spy a Mardu creeping up on the horizon. Time to head home… and I’ven’t even collected but a day’s worth of scraps to sell at the Bazaar. I hate the rain.” - Dalmascan Scavenger

I admit it's not really a short story, but this sort of popped into my head anyway.