PDA

View Full Version : smurfing swearing

Raistlin
08-22-2012, 04:22 AM
A high school is withholding the valedictorian's diploma for using the word "hell" in her graduation speech (http://kfor.com/2012/08/18/46913/).

The principal is demanding she write an apology letter in order to receive her diploma. She is apparently refusing, but I think she should have written "I apologize for not telling you to smurf off sooner, dickwad."

This reminded me of a story a couple of months ago, where a town tried to outlaw public profanity (http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2012/06/12/massachusetts-town-puts-20-fine-on-profanity/?hpt=hp_bn13). I'm not entirely sure which one is more dumb. Probably the high school one.

Do you curse a lot? Do you refrain from cursing under certain circumstances? Are you a freak like Bleys and have nightmares about swearing in front of the Queen?

Bunny
08-22-2012, 04:26 AM
To me, the 'bad words' aren't really bad at all and I have no problem using them whenever I feel like it. I think it is kind of silly to label certain words bad on a semi-arbitrary basis. Being able to say ass and bitch on television (and on this forum), but not tit or smurf just seems really silly to me.

My girlfriend's grandparents and extended family (on her mother's side) are really religious and therefore frown on anything that differs from their own collective beliefs. I try not to curse around them because it is just more trouble than it is worth. There was an instance where I said "smurf" around one of her aunts during a game we were playing. She hasn't talked to me since. I find it amusing.

A lot of my dreams focus around Bleys saying smurf in front of or around a variety of important people. Last night he said smurf near Mao Zedong.

CimminyCricket
08-22-2012, 04:27 AM
I swear a lot. I swear about everything. I could be in a fantastic mood but I would still say, "We're out of fucking bread." or "We need more fucking milk." or even "Where the fuck is the remote?" When watching a show where some dramatic thing has happened I don't have to be surprised or started to say, "Oh shit." I don't say fuck in front of my grand mothers, but I say it in front of children sometimes because they're below my eye level and I don't notice them. A funny thing is when I'm angry I don't swear.

Jiro
08-22-2012, 04:40 AM
Words are words. I hardly see how the word Hell can be offensive. I mean even God fearing Christians should know the word and accept it because it's like the bad place and shit I dunno. Look seriously this is just a crock of shit and people should loosen up a little. I know there are extremes and just the other night this one lady was swearing like I don't even fucking know and I was offended but I just sat there and minded my own business.

Shorty
08-22-2012, 04:46 AM
I swear a lot, especially when I'm driving. Wesley can attest to this.

I used to have to be concerned about holding my tongue in front of my mother, but now she's pretty okay with everything I say except fuck.

Hollycat
08-22-2012, 05:15 AM
I am HC

I am HC
HC I am

Do you like Cursing?

I do not like foul words Raistlin man
I do not like them, HC I am

Would you could you at the pope?
Could you would you in a moat?

I would not could not at the pope
I could not would not in a moat

Would you curse here or there?
I would not curse anywhere!

Could you curse with a fish?
Can you curse within a dish?
Would you curse on a train?
Would you curse on a plane?

I cannot will not with a fish, I cannot will not in a dish, not on a train or in a plane.
I will not curse here nor there, I will not curse anywhere!
I would not could not in a house, I could not would not at a mouse.
I do not like curse words Raistlin man, I do not like them HC I am.

Jiro
08-22-2012, 05:19 AM
I can attest to Shorty's swearing as well. Jesus fuck.

escobert
08-22-2012, 05:21 AM
I live in New England. I curse like a sailor. There's a reason every movie that takes place in Boston has fuck in it 497039709709749 times.

Agent Proto
08-22-2012, 05:37 AM
I curse, but it's not a common thing for me. I only do so when I feel it's appropriate, like when I want to make a point to stand out. And for the record, I think it's goddamn ridiculous if you have to fucking swear all the goddamn fucking time, shitheads. It just makes you sound pretty dumb, imo.

So in conclusion: Swearing to make a point is good. Swearing just for the hell of it is bad.

Citizen Bleys
08-22-2012, 07:05 AM
A lot of my dreams focus around Bleys saying smurf in front of or around a variety of important people. Last night he said smurf near Mao Zedong.

That was no dream!

EDIT: And I think we all know my goddamn motherfucking stance on swearing.

Pike
08-22-2012, 10:15 AM
I curse, but it's not a common thing for me. I only do so when I feel it's appropriate, like when I want to make a point to stand out.

Sephex
08-22-2012, 11:56 AM
I swear fairly causally, but I am not one those ignorant people that thinks doing it all the time, especially in public, makes me hardcore.

Jinx
08-22-2012, 12:08 PM
I don't see "hell" as all that offensive.

I curse more on the forum than I do in real life. Part of that is because of the funny swear filters. It makes everything with a swear sound comical.

I don't really have a problem with a dropped swear every now and then. But if you're one of those people who is saying a swear every other sentence for no reason (and when you're not ranting or angry) then I don't care for it. To me, it just sounds really unintelligent. If that's the only way you have of expressing yourself, I'm not sure I want to have a conversation with you. Go read a dictionary.

blackmage_nuke
08-22-2012, 12:34 PM
I scale my swearing to match whoever Im with at the time

Clo
08-22-2012, 01:31 PM
I swear, a lot. To the point where I try to tone it down.

If I know children are around, I don't. I have a good filter then. If I didn't, I most certainly wouldn't have a job.

Laddy
08-22-2012, 01:34 PM
A little bit, but I'm never downright vulgar. Not much gets me upset.

Quindiana Jones
08-22-2012, 01:58 PM
I use swear words to accentuate some part or meaning of a sentence. I think if they are over-used, they will lose this unique ability. "I really hate you" is nothing like "I fucking hate you", so I cherish the taboo of swearing.

Jowy
08-22-2012, 02:09 PM
my filter's awful...i just spew all kinds of vitriol :aimsad:

escobert
08-22-2012, 02:38 PM

I curse more on the forum than I do in real life. Part of that is because of the funny swear filters. It makes everything with a swear sound comical.

I don't really have a problem with a dropped swear every now and then. But if you're one of those people who is saying a swear every other sentence for no reason (and when you're not ranting or angry) then I don't care for it. To me, it just sounds really unintelligent. If that's the only way you have of expressing yourself, I'm not sure I want to have a conversation with you. Go read a dictionary.

Just because someone used curse words frequently doesn't mean they're stupid or ignorant all of the time :P As I stated, I live in New England, for whatever reason swearing is a generally accepted part of the language here. Same as we say wicked as in "that movie was wicked awesome" or pisser "well that was a pisser". It's just part of the "culture" here.

Jinx
08-22-2012, 02:48 PM

Just because someone used curse words frequently doesn't mean they're stupid or ignorant all of the time :P As I stated, I live in New England, for whatever reason swearing is a generally accepted part of the language here. Same as we say wicked as in "that movie was wicked awesome" or pisser "well that was a pisser". It's just part of the "culture" here.

And? Your point? I didn't say that people who curse often ARE unintelligent, just that they sound so. And that's not changing for me.

escobert
08-22-2012, 02:49 PM
Well it'd be like me saying that people with southern accents all sound unintelligent because southern accents sound unintelligent :p

Jinx
08-22-2012, 02:57 PM
Well it'd be like me saying that people with southern accents all sound unintelligent because southern accents sound unintelligent :p

Actually, no, it wouldn't. You can't help your accent. That's completely determined on what region you grow up in. You choose to say 'fuck' every other sentence. It's something you control.

Quindiana Jones
08-22-2012, 03:59 PM
Your colloquial language is completely determined by what region you grow up in. If you grow up in a place where swearing is considered normal, you will typically swear more because it's simply another word. Sure, you can put some effort in and not swear, but you can also put some effort in and use a different accent.

Jessweeee♪
08-22-2012, 05:01 PM
Your colloquial language is completely determined by what region you grow up in. If you grow up in a place where swearing is considered normal, you will typically swear more because it's simply another word. Sure, you can put some effort in and not swear, but you can also put some effort in and use a different accent.

This. Personally I have a Texan accent and I say "goddamn" and "shit ton" as unthinkingly as I say "fixin' tuh".

Madame Adequate
08-22-2012, 05:29 PM
Well this is absurd. I can understand if she started throwing c-bombs around like confetti but... "hell"? Is this the 17th century?

NeoCracker
08-22-2012, 05:50 PM
Well this is absurd. I can understand if she started throwing c-bombs around like confetti but... "hell"? Is this the 17th century?

I don't care if she went off on a holocaust denial rant dropping 'c-bomb's', withholding her diploma would still be absurd and unacceptable.

Jinx
08-22-2012, 06:12 PM
I disagree with the points that growing up in a certain way makes you use certain words. Encourages, yes. But Jess, you don't use goddamn a lot because you're from Texas. Same as Bert doesn't use fuck a lot because he's from Boston. It's something you choose.

Cursee words don't offend me, for the record. But I don't know why you guys care so much that I think people who talk like that sound like idiots. :P

Jessweeee♪
08-22-2012, 06:34 PM
But Jess, you don't use goddamn a lot because you're from Texas.

And I don't speak with a Texan accent because I'm from Texas. I'm from Illinois, currently living in Texas. My family all have Midwestern accents! I developed my speech habits from my peers. Do you say the word "like" as a filler constantly? If you do, try to stop. Just try it. Go a whole two weeks. You can do it sure, but it'll be difficult. Curse words are just other filler words like "like".

Citizen Bleys
08-22-2012, 07:48 PM
Regional influence is very much real. I grew up in Alberta and never used any British slang at all; since moving to the Maritimes, where the British influence is much stronger, I use bloody near enough to convince a Brit that I'm one of them. Watching British TV increases that, as it's additional exposure. The more you're exposed to a certain speech pattern, the more you emulate it unconsciously.

Peegee
08-22-2012, 07:49 PM
I'm not the least bit racist (I'm not) but I have taken to using the n-word very often on facebook. Why? because screw you, that's why.

There's really nothing that can be stated or written that is out of bounds for me. I'll even make jokes about topics that are very emotionally stressful to me. I think it's more effective than having all these taboos limiting your thoughts.

Jinx
08-22-2012, 08:52 PM
I will concede to the point that it's a sort of non-word.

But I think if anything that helped my case that people who use that sound like idiots. And seriously, I never had a case. I wasn't trying to convince anyone else. I just started that's my personal opinion.

Clo
08-22-2012, 08:55 PM
So many people despise the c-word. I wish it wasn't equivalent to the n-word. I feel stupid saying x-word. R-word!

Jessweeee♪
08-22-2012, 08:55 PM
:(

Pike
08-22-2012, 09:20 PM
I was never exposed to it as a young kid so it never became a habit. When I got older and did start getting exposed to it, I went full on hardcore to the point that I came around in a circle and wasn't hardcore anymore: basically the kids at school started swearing because it was edgy and different, so I didn't swear because it was edgy and different compared to them.

So to this day I don't swear very often. I've got a boatload of fun replacement swearwords that I use, though.

Bunny
08-22-2012, 10:01 PM
I just started that's my personal opinion.

That was your first mistake.

Shiny
08-22-2012, 10:19 PM
Hell is not a curse as far as I'm concerned.

Jowy
08-22-2012, 10:50 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/68/NWS_Hell_MI.jpg

It's a place!

Shorty
08-22-2012, 11:07 PM
I can attest to Shorty's swearing as well. Jesus fuck.

It's mostly contained to while I'm driving!

Sephex
08-22-2012, 11:13 PM
I once told my dad that I used the c word on Facebook. He got mad. I told him I call them as I see them. I got even angrier with me. He also tired to tell me it's like the n word for women, and that's why I shouldn't use it. I totally disagreed with that. Sure, it's offensive, but there is no way it carries the same weight as the n word.

Shorty
08-22-2012, 11:15 PM
They're both offensive in their own ways and should not be weighed against eachother.

Sephex
08-22-2012, 11:50 PM
Crap, this is getting into EOEO territory! Eject! EJE-- *explodes*

Cuchulainn
08-23-2012, 12:09 AM

Ya won't like me then ya judgemental presumptious wee pish flap.

Words are just words, swearing or otherwise. They're not really that powerful unless you give them that power. They don't define anyone. You presume too much about a mans character when hearing the 'bad' ones. I swear all the time with mo cara's but im not completely without self awareness I can reign it in at funerals.

Jinx
08-23-2012, 12:19 AM
They need to make some product named "Hell." Like flowers, or chocolate! And then when you say, "Give 'em Hell!" or "Go to Hell!" it's something nice. :)

fire_of_avalon
08-23-2012, 12:46 AM
In public I am polite. In private I will make a sailor blush and run to his mama.

Raistlin
08-23-2012, 03:23 AM
I never understood people who make a big deal about swearing, whether they refuse to swear or refuse to use euphemisms. I knew a girl in high school who hated when people said "crap" instead of "shit," arguing that swearing shouldn't be a big deal. I agreed entirely with the latter part, but if swears are "just words," then they shouldn't be considered any different from common euphemisms, right?

Then again, I have no idea why anyone places any special meaning behind any swear words at all. I swear because I grew up around people swearing, so that's the sort of language that comes without thinking about it. It boggles my mind that people are offended by the use of words, though people do make themselves offended over the silliest things.

Iceglow
08-23-2012, 10:54 AM
I swear all the damn time. I don't see the problem with my swearing in most situations. Even at work I'll swear. When I am talking to a 20 something student about a pair of headphones when he's saying "Yo man I need some cans what are the literal shit man! They gotta pump the bass like nothing you ever fucking heard!" I'm going to respond talking to him like he talks to me it's not because I found his approach rude he wasn't swearing at me he was being respectful there's worse things for someone to call you than man. Therefore when talking back to customers like that I'll swear not because I'm being offensive to them but because I'm like "hahaha so you want the good shit then eh? So what budget we talking dude? Money no object? Cool sweet lets sort you out with these babies, they'll pump bass so hard you're going to fucking love it!" again I've not sworn at him I'm not being offensive and the rapport I've built means he's immediately keen to buy from me because I'm talking to him on his level and engaging him in the convo. Considering the cans I'll recommend him will cost in excess of £200 on average that's a valuable edge.

Though I can reign the swearing in when it's appropriate to do so. It's all about context if the person I am talking to is someone who swears and I can use the swear words without being overly offensive then I'm comfortable to swear.

ReloadPsi
08-23-2012, 01:45 PM
Swearing in front of small children is something of a no-no, but otherwise anything goes.

Peegee
08-23-2012, 08:39 PM
I don't swear normally but I have noticed a lot of people will swear in front of kids without realizing it.

Also old people. have some respect!

The Man
08-23-2012, 08:51 PM
I swear like a smurfing sailor when I'm driving. Anyone who's ridden with me (which I don't think is anyone on this forum) will attest to that.

Apart from that I usually only swear for emphasis or out of frustration, or occasionally just involuntarily when I see the picture of someone really despicable like Dick Cheney. Apart from derogatory slurs I don't really see why anyone gets worked up about swear words. As long as they're not used to hurt, who gives a smurf.

Pike
08-24-2012, 01:53 AM
I always think it's kind of cute when people apologize for swearing around me, because I'm a girl or whatever.

Like, I really don't care, but it's kind of cute.

Shauna
08-24-2012, 01:55 AM
I don't swear all too often. If I am getting frustrated at vidya games or something, I will tend to curse but aside from that... not really. I don't have a problem with swearing, or people swearing around me - I just don't do it, for whatever reason. Never felt a need to, I guess.

Raistlin
08-24-2012, 02:01 AM
I always think it's kind of cute when people apologize for swearing around me, because I'm a girl or whatever.

This reminds me of Cohen v. California (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cohen_v._California), where the Supreme Court overturned a man's conviction for wearing a jacket that had "fuck the draft" on it to a courthouse. Justice Black, an otherwise fairly consistent free speech proponent, voted to uphold the conviction, allegedly because he was horrified that someone might use or display that word in public in front of his wife.

Oh sexism.

Miss Lady Shelly
08-24-2012, 06:56 AM
My dad once told me that I remind him of a truck driver with the words that come out of my mouth.

Tigmafuzz
08-24-2012, 01:05 PM
I really don't understand why anyone cares about swearing. If people didn't give it so much of a stigma, it would be meaningless. There's no inherent offensive property to the sequence of syllables that make up the word "motherfucker." People are offended by it because they choose to be.

Like, I really don't care, but it's kind of cute.

I usually apologize when I swear in front of a woman I don't know, just to be polite. Southern manners and all.

Criminally Vulgar
08-24-2012, 01:16 PM
In the same sense that any words only have meaning because we construct meanings for them. So essentially you've just said 'language is a social construct'. Yup. The point of swear words is that they're supposed to be slightly taboo because that's what gives them impact. If 'smurf' didn't exist then we'd need another word to express our extreme discontent at something, or whatever else 'smurf' regularly substitutes. By this logic I am fine with swear words and can understand why they would elicit certain reactions.

I myself am a champ swearer. My favourite word is :bou::bou::bou::bou:.

Clo
08-24-2012, 03:27 PM
The more innocent an adult seems, the more I want to swear in front of them.

Christmas
08-25-2012, 03:37 PM
I hardly curse. ACTION is so much effective. :bigsmile: