PDA

View Full Version : Some gaming things to make you feel old

Aulayna
12-11-2012, 10:23 PM
24 Things That Prove Video Games Are All Grown Up (http://www.buzzfeed.com/hunterschwarz/xx-things-that-prove-video-games-are-all-grown-up-6zgv)

Yeah. Pension time.

Jiro
12-12-2012, 04:33 AM
I'm still on the youthful end of things :aimsun:

Skyblade
12-12-2012, 05:48 AM
The last one is wrong. I don't keep careful count, but I'm sure there's fewer than 350 Pokemon.

Shoeberto
12-12-2012, 02:11 PM
I've been feeling old enough about games lately even without this. I keep wanting to revisit the oldies because dag nabbit they just don't make 'em like they used to!

I still play newer AAA games every now and again, but I miss how simple and fun things used to be rather than big and explode-y.

I am a fogey.

Psychotic
12-12-2012, 02:52 PM
Slow down video games!

Pete for President
12-12-2012, 04:04 PM
I've been feeling old enough about games lately even without this. I keep wanting to revisit the oldies because dag nabbit they just don't make 'em like they used to!

I still play newer AAA games every now and again, but I miss how simple and fun things used to be rather than big and explode-y.

I am a fogey.

I hear you man.

Slothy
12-12-2012, 04:30 PM
Back in September I saw this blog post (http://blog.xkcd.com/2012/09/29/odd-temporal-milestones/) over at xkcd.com. I like the theme and some of those remind me of it, so here's some more to make every single one of us feel really old:

- The original Super Mario Bros. was released closer to the original moon landing than to today (11 years closer to really screw with us all).
- Over the course of 25 years we moved from this:
http://cdn.arstechnica.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/spacewar_-4ea4ffe-intro.jpg

to this:
http://images.wikia.com/nintendo/en/images/c/c6/Zelda_II_The_Adventure_of_Link.jpg

-25 years later and we have this:
http://www.unrealengine.com/files/misc/UE4_Elemental_Cine_screen_0001.jpg

- Kids born in the year the N64 was released can now legally drive.
- Some of those kids probably have kids of their own.

More to come if I can think of them.

Denmark
12-12-2012, 09:28 PM
the one about James Bond is not about video games rofl

21. The Nintendo Game Cube holds 190 times more gigabytes of data than the N64.
ugh ugh ugh why put 'gigabytes' in there just give a data comparison (like "holds x times more data") it'll mean the same to everyone who read it except a million times less awkward

all in all this article is trout amirite

vivi's post is about 190 times more gigabytes of awesome than that article

Shoeberto
12-12-2012, 09:55 PM

21. The Nintendo Game Cube holds 190 times more gigabytes of data than the N64.
ugh ugh ugh why put 'gigabytes' in there just give a data comparison (like "holds x times more data") it'll mean the same to everyone who read it except a million times less awkward

all in all this article is trout amirite

vivi's post is about 190 times more gigabytes of awesome than that article
Your post has like, 10 times more gigs of hate than necessary.

Skyblade
12-13-2012, 12:16 AM
Also, how many Land Before Time movies were there? I only vaguely recall a sequel to the original, and I thought it sucked.

Wolf Kanno
12-13-2012, 12:28 AM
They just kept releasing those LBT films, there is like 9 or 10 of them, they stopped numbering them after Land Before Time 8. The second film did suck but I've been told the later sequels are far far worse...

Aulayna
12-13-2012, 08:06 AM

Yeah it's not like Goldeneye was a seminal moment in Console FPS games or anything. :D

Skyblade
12-13-2012, 08:14 AM

Yeah it's not like Goldeneye was a seminal moment in Console FPS games or anything. :D

It was about the actor who played Bond, which I think is really stretching it for "game related". It's not like they couldn't have made one about the game itself.

Flaming Ice
12-13-2012, 03:21 PM
Also, how many Land Before Time movies were there? I only vaguely recall a sequel to the original, and I thought it sucked.

Aw..used to collect them

I think they even had a musical that was advertised in one one of the movies lol

Madame Adequate
12-13-2012, 05:34 PM
- Kids born in the year the N64 was released can now legally drive.

NOPE'd right hard out of that one

Del Murder
12-15-2012, 06:24 AM
Let's take an old poll. Who among us owned the original NES during the first years of its release?

KentaRawr!
12-17-2012, 08:35 PM
Wait, GCN discs carry more than 190 gigs?

Faris
12-18-2012, 02:52 AM
23. There is an entire generation of kids who have never played video games with a controller.

:| This reminds me that some places will no longer be teaching penmanship, writing on black/white boards, or submitting written work because they believe that everything will be done on computers. Freaks me out.

Let's take an old poll. Who among us owned the original NES during the first years of its release?

Make sure there's an option for "family could not afford it" :(

Slothy
12-18-2012, 03:03 AM

Considering I was just under a month old when it was released in NA, not me. We can't all be as ancient as you.

Del Murder
12-18-2012, 03:40 AM
Funny thing, at work I'm the young one but on the forums I'm the old man.

Anyway, I was pretty little when the NES came out but I still remember when my dad brought it home. I still remember the sense of awe I got when I first saw Mario hit that block and grow a fire flower.

Wolf Kanno
12-18-2012, 05:39 AM

I didn't get one until a few years after its release, at least 88, though I did own one before the Super Nintendo was released in 1990.