PDA

View Full Version : Stupid question about voice acting.

MJN SEIFER
09-06-2013, 11:23 PM
Whenever a character is at a state where the voice would be affected, would the voice actor or actress do a similar thing, or would it be added via technology?

What I mean is; when the character tries to speak while gagged, does the actor/actress cover his/her mouth while delivering the lines? When the character tries to speak while drowning, does the actor/actress hold a drink to his/her mouth?

This will help me with something eventually.

Parker
09-08-2013, 10:57 AM
this thread for best thread ciddie

Formalhaut
09-08-2013, 05:56 PM
What I mean is; when the character tries to speak while gagged, does the actor/actress cover his/her mouth while delivering the lines? When the character tries to speak while drowning, does the actor/actress hold a drink to his/her mouth?

*Calls the police*

Parker
09-08-2013, 07:53 PM
Just try gagging the voice actor and seeing how well it works. Same with the gargling. Simple. That's how you learn and experiment and get better. Just try it

MJN SEIFER
09-09-2013, 12:26 PM

*Calls the police* Please explain how wanting to learn voice acting is illegal?

Or is this basically your way of saying that my project will suck, and I shouldn't even bother with it? I'm putting a lot of work into it, though it's only on script and outline stages. I do aim to learn animation and voice acting eventuallly (though obviously I plan to get others involved in voice acting.)

Scotty_ffgamer
09-09-2013, 07:42 PM
I think he's just joking by pointing out someone being gagged and someone drowning as something actually happening rather than just in a voice acting way.

I've never tried doing any recording for voice acting, but I would think at least the gagging scenario would be something you should set up by covering the mouth or whatever to make it more naturally sound how you want it to sound. The drowning one, I don't really know. It would be worth trying while holding a drink to the mouth or something, but I'd say it depends on what you are doing. Is the person speaking while sticking his/her head out of the water before drowning? It might be easier to just have the person say the lines normally (though acting that he/she is continually sticking his/her head out of the water and going back down). Act out saying the lines, cutting yourself off for when your head would go back into the water, etc. Edit anything necessary in post processing. That might be easier/better than trying to find some way of simulating it more naturally with a drink.

Actually, the gagging scenario might be better to do in post processing as well if its important that the line is heard clearly. Maybe do it through clenched teeth or something, which could maybe give the sound of using a little more effort to speak, but you can hear what's being said clearly. Then edit it afterwards to muffle it a little or something

Keep in mind, I know nothing about voice acting or anything, so you can probably disregard all of this.