PDA

View Full Version : So Marvel got the Film rights back for X-Men and Fantastic Four...

Wolf Kanno
12-15-2017, 11:08 PM
I'm really surprised no one has made a thread about this yet. Disney bought Fox's Film Rights, which means Marvel now owns X-Men and Fantastic Four, meaning we may finally get a decent X-Men movie and Doctor Doom can finally appear in Avengers. As a bonus, Anastasia can now technically be made into a Disney Princess. ;)

charliepanayi
12-15-2017, 11:31 PM
I'm not sure it's a good thing for one company to own everything.

Also, we already have three or four good X-Men films!

Wolf Kanno
12-15-2017, 11:56 PM
I'm not sure it's a good thing for one company to own everything.

Also, we already have three or four good X-Men films!

More like two and even then, they kind of feel blah nowadays compared to some other comic book films. Frankly most of the X-Men films fail to capture what makes the series so compelling for me.

Depression Moon
12-16-2017, 01:17 AM
Wait a minute this shit is official? I thought it was a rumor.

Chibi Youkai
12-16-2017, 02:29 AM
I think it still has to be approved by all the governmental bodies, but it has been officially announced as happening. They've even agreed to a breakup price if the government shoots it down.

Depression Moon
12-16-2017, 04:41 PM
So they not only got the rights back to the movies they bought Fox? Like the movie studio, tv channels, and their news company? That's insane!

Del Murder
12-18-2017, 10:22 PM
So they not only got the rights back to the movies they bought Fox? Like the movie studio, tv channels, and their news company? That's insane!
They would get the movie studio and some of the cable channels like FX but not the main Fox broadcast channel or Fox News. Fox News is Murdoch's baby, I don't think he would sell it.

Loony BoB
12-21-2017, 02:33 PM
It's weird. In this modern day I'm seeing less of an advantage to competition and more of a hassle. Sky Sports and BT Sports (and potentially more in the near future) broadcast the Premier League and that means if I want to see all of my team's games, I have to spend craploads to both options. The solution? I pirate. Fuck 'em. There's even a stipulation in the way they sell the games that one broadcaster can't have 'em all. It's frustrating. I don't want competition anymore. Competition means if I want to watch everything and anything, I can no longer get it all on one deal. I have to spend twice as much (or more) to get what I had before. Games? I mean that hasn't changed much but I loved that generation where Sony PS2 owned the world, because it meant I didn't have to worry about all the different consoles either.

Bring on the monopoly, I say. I want more bang for my one purchase, not having to pay two or more times.

The way of the world, though, really. I'm a greedy bastard.

Markus. D
12-28-2017, 09:05 AM
Now even less chance to see TV MCU Quake alongside the big cinema MCU. Honestly the worst news.

Mercen-X
01-20-2018, 08:18 PM
What would have possibly increased that likelihood?

Skyblade
01-25-2018, 03:17 PM
It's weird. In this modern day I'm seeing less of an advantage to competition and more of a hassle. Sky Sports and BT Sports (and potentially more in the near future) broadcast the Premier League and that means if I want to see all of my team's games, I have to spend craploads to both options. The solution? I pirate. smurf 'em. There's even a stipulation in the way they sell the games that one broadcaster can't have 'em all. It's frustrating. I don't want competition anymore. Competition means if I want to watch everything and anything, I can no longer get it all on one deal. I have to spend twice as much (or more) to get what I had before. Games? I mean that hasn't changed much but I loved that generation where Sony PS2 owned the world, because it meant I didn't have to worry about all the different consoles either.

Bring on the monopoly, I say. I want more bang for my one purchase, not having to pay two or more times.

The way of the world, though, really. I'm a greedy bastard.

It's a very interesting paradox.

In the information age, the conglomeration of information is itself a pro-consumer thing. Having everything in one place is handy, it's powerful.

Yet, this leads to monopolies, which are, historically, terrible. And will continue to be so.

It may even be worse in this age, with the major companies starting to not just stifle innovation and competition, but free speech and expression as well.

Everyone wants to have all their movies and TV shows on Netflix so they can get it all for one low price. But once you can't get them anywhere else, what will keep the price down? Nothing. Incremental charges, more and more, until you're paying for everything and getting nothing. Cable cutters flee the broadcasters and cable companies where this has already happened.

What's next after the internet goes the same way?