PDA

View Full Version : What would have made FF8 a much better game?

Enigma
05-05-2003, 12:46 AM
What do you think?

Shoyku
05-05-2003, 02:24 AM
Better battle system where the monsters don't level when you do. And for the love of God, no Junction.

Imperia
05-05-2003, 03:51 AM
It would have been better if it didn't have any plot holes, and most of all, Rinoa should've been much stronger and not a helpless coward. (I know many of you have heard me yap about Rinoa so many times, but I just don't like her!):p

Big D
05-05-2003, 05:33 AM
Greater diversity amongst the characters, fewer plot contrivances to explain important things (eg. GF Amnesia), and, my biggest issue,
more emphasis on the other main characters.
From the very outset they made it clear that Squall and Rinoa were the only ones who actually mattered. The others were stuck in the background. I hated that... particularly the way Quistis was marginalised so severely.

Erdrick Holmes
05-05-2003, 05:42 AM
Well they could have had a better magic system instead of srawing from baddies. They should allow characters to have set magic spells depending on the GF and then the spells can get stronger and then learn new spells. I would always loose HP just drawing magic over and over again.

Mo-Nercy
05-05-2003, 08:43 AM
I liked the monster leveling system, I liked the battle system with the drawing. I never was a big user of magic in other FFs but VIII gave you a purpose to collect it.

Yeah, some little tweaks with the plot would've made FF8 a better game. I say that FF8 was a bit too different for it's own good.

Still the best game eva~

Blackmage
05-05-2003, 03:24 PM
They could've given it some kind of difficulty.

And having hot dogs as usable items in combat for HP restoration would've been priceless.

remi07
05-05-2003, 10:10 PM
Get rid of that damn juntioning system. That's about the only the I hated!

Rye
05-05-2003, 10:19 PM
I thought it was really good, but the monster leveling thing has to go!

I agree with Big D too, they needed to give other characters more importance ^.^

Enigma
05-05-2003, 10:25 PM
1. The Junction thing has to go.
2. I think that Rinoa should have been assasinated in order to help the story some. She should have been killed somehow near the end and sent to some, I dunno, "compressed" world place. Then Squall in the gang would beat Ultimecia and then the ending FMV could come on or Squall would rescue her somehow. I think it would have made it more adventrous and gave you more of a reason to fight.

Big D
05-06-2003, 12:31 AM
Squall spent all of his free time rescuing Rinoa in some way or another... it was a nice turnaround how she rescued him in the end. There should've been more interactive elements to the story, too - events where the player's choice influenced future scenes, kind of like the date in FFVII.

Cyan_Lightning
05-06-2003, 01:24 AM
Having Seifer as the final boss would have balanced out the end better - though seeing Seifer in drag attempting to acheive 'Time Kompression' would have been...somewhat odd.

On a more probable note, more background details for Ultimecia or a confirmation of the R = U theory, would have given me both a greater desire to actually beat Ultimecia, and a greater sense of satisfaction having done so.

Apart from that, I would suggest perhaps fixing a few minor plotholes, and giving a more substantial and believable leadup to the Matron/memory loss revelation.

Linus J
05-06-2003, 05:10 PM
apart from plot:

drawing magic was plain boring, so away with that.

difficulty maybe? My other way around I stayed at lvl18 and just beat cactuars over and over again. Beating just about everything with ease is boring.

Less annoying, that card game and different rules were just boring and somewhat stupid.

muchacho
05-06-2003, 11:34 PM
more character devlopment and the magic should have been differant.

kali
05-07-2003, 02:16 PM
pooh!....ff8 was a great game...and shouldn't be modified!!
:mog: : :strut:

EvenAngelsFall
05-07-2003, 05:21 PM
Like i said for ::What would make ff7 and even better game::, enhanced graphics and sound, And voice for every character and person you meet insted of text word conversations, dont touch the story line or game play, its just perfect, well mabey a extended ending like a alternate ending or extended journey.

EvenAngelsFall

Advent Child
05-08-2003, 02:25 AM
woooo... another sucker for features. Graphics don't matter to me, the sound was good as it was, and they probably would have cast TERRIBLE voice actors.

Personally i liked the junction system and the draw system. It WAS a great game.

TidaRalique
05-08-2003, 04:10 AM
Side-Quest Character Development. I didn't care if Squall and Rinoa got the main points of plot, but somewhere in between they should've put mini-quests (which you have to do) to get to know each character better. I mean the other main characters did develop a lot during the game, but it was all blocked off by the story of Squall and Rinoa.

Actually, Squall's voice actor in KH was really good. The guy that does Dauragon's voice would be good for Seifer. Phil LaMarr (Samurai Jack) would be Kiros and well, maybe Steve Lucas (Spike Spiegel) would be a good choice for Laguna.

playaGAW
05-08-2003, 04:22 AM
They could've upped the difficulty. My first play through the game I made it all the way to Adel with most of my chracters in thier twenties and only 4 GFs (first three plus Cerebrus).

remi07
05-08-2003, 04:44 AM
well, i kinda suck at video games so i say don't make it any harder then it is. What i think they should have is a difficulty setting like in kingdom hearts, normal and hard. That prolly would have made ppl a little more happier with it's difficulty.

s[H]sIkuA
05-08-2003, 08:38 AM
More Mini Game , yeaH Triple Triad RoX!

And the story too linear for me :)

Gameplay ..... 100% Perfect!! although many of u will not agree with me :D

Shlup
05-09-2003, 01:26 AM
More character development, and if Squall and Rinoa weren't such wussy lovers. A kiss at the end I can barely see? Puh-lease. I want some real romance.

Rye
05-09-2003, 01:55 AM
xD! Lol I totally agree with you ShlupQuack!

I'm really stupid so I have to ask, whats a plothole? Sorry ^.^

Besimudo
05-14-2003, 02:05 AM
As far as the game goes.. the battle system and the summons (even though I don’t use them) took too long.
Also the Card game was a good idea, but it was poor how you had to play it to get the best items....I hate square softs sub games!!!!

As far as a story this would be like revising Homers works...disrupting one element may destroy the whole deeper meaning of the experience.

Basically Squall is a man on the path to enlightenment, he defeats the gods and becomes the absolute, the politics of the world set the scene for what develops into a holy war...between man and god.

The history of this war is deep rooted in Lagunas story and both in Love and the destruction of god Squall laguna's son succeeds him. (Rinoa was Julias daughter i.e. Laguna failed to get julia and Ragnarok was brought on by Squall the holy war) Even the final scene is reminiscent of the Odyssey...the unity between man and women (a scene that most would consider cliché, and only the very few know its true depth)

Sin Harvest
05-21-2003, 08:06 AM
definetly some more chcarter devolpent for the others. rather than the hefty focus on squall and rinoa.an uppage in difficulty would have been nice too. a few more involving side quests, how about acually being able to acces the towns ect in time compression ? and perharps edea as a permanent party member ?

Besimudo
05-21-2003, 09:15 AM
Edea as a permanent party member is a great idea.

DCI Superfan
05-21-2003, 05:00 PM
Nothing, it's fine the way it is.

DCI Forever!!

Sin Harvest
05-21-2003, 05:04 PM
yeah i dont see any reason why she shouldent be, it'd be great. it was heaps good using her while you could, and they could have even given her more limit break stuff ect. mabey even cause for another side quest or something.....alas

BG-57
05-21-2003, 07:01 PM
My only major complaint is the SeeD ranking system. I prefer getting money from the monsters I fight rather than regular payments (even if monsters with money is illogical). The problem is promotions/demotions affect your income and the game sometimes punishes you for straying from the storyline. :mad2:

Other than that I though it was a great game. Especially the monster/GF designs and Triple Triad. And the music.

:)

playaGAW
05-22-2003, 05:29 AM
The triple triad was confusingwith all those rules Ididn't undetrstand it until I played FF9 in which the card game was less confusing. I went back to 8 and realized the games were a variation of each other. I still don't understand certain rules in the game though.

Flame
11-02-2003, 08:23 PM
Playing it on the PC, I only have some technical stuff I would have liked improved:

1) higher resolution, 800*600 was pretty common when the game came out

2) a quickload function... for Heaven's sake, I hate to restart the whole game
(and watching the Eidos logo all the time, because it can't be escaped) every
time the game won't let me abolish a stupid card game rule :mog:

3) and for that matter, a "quit" function would have been nice too

Otherwise, great game, I'm just playing it for the second time. :D :D

Black Waltz No3
11-02-2003, 11:44 PM
The Junction System meant it was far too easy to max out your players stats early on. Draw system was slghtly annoying and I HATED how you didn't get money from monsters as it was too easy to amass a huge ammount of money in a very small time.

Other then that... Good game!

dman
11-03-2003, 12:49 AM
Haste - The ATB bar went so fast that when you were inputting a command, the haste would have worn out by then.

Graphics - Who really wants to play FFVIII battles on crappy PSX @ 0.00000001 fps?

Development of other characters - already mentioned .

Menus - Grey menus looked awful. Compare it to FFX's.

Drawing magic - You should only have to draw magic ONCE, and after that you should have an infinate supply, but casting it would cost MP.

Training Centre was not very good for training.

You should have known about Ultimecia right from the very start.

soulICE
11-05-2003, 08:58 PM
definitely should have focused on the other characters besides rinoa and squall.. i know that was already mentioned. oh sure, we know that irvine and selphie will *probably* hook up, and zell has the library girl.. but what about quistis? poor quistis, squaresoft tossed her aside just to progress the story of rinoa and squall.

rinoa was overrated while on the other hand the other characters were underrated (especially quistis)

edea as a perm. party member is a good idea. also, should have seen more of seifer, perhaps see him playing both sides just to see the interaction between old friends and rivals.

aaaaaand, looking at grey menus for too long made the white text blur. *sigh* at least with 9 you could change the color, or even better was 7's.. ANY color you wanted.

ok im rambling. *shuts up* :rolleyes2

BraSkAs_FiNAl_AeoN
11-22-2003, 04:15 PM
I thought the game was awsome. i loved the juncitioning system. the story was good. the monster, yeah they were kindof easy and impossibly to lose to with the lionheart and auras. omega weapon was an extremly fun and awsome mini boss to beat. as far as the ending and the R=u debate yeah they could have touched on that a bit moe but its up there with myfavorites. 1. FF7 2.FF8 3.FF6 4.FFX and hopfully FFX-2
oh yeah and i thought qdin shouldnt have died

BraSkAs_FiNAl_AeoN
11-22-2003, 04:17 PM
i meant odin

FFboy4ever
11-23-2003, 01:53 AM
i like the game, i really do! the only things i don't like about it are.
1-the 'draw' system
2-the little character devolpment

Avalon_Beouvle07
11-23-2003, 08:40 PM
I think the only problem Final Fantasy 8 had was Squall. He spent most of the game suffering from the inability to share his true feelings for anyone. Even after he rescued Rinoa from floating out into space, he still refused to tell her how he truly felt. That to me was FF8's biggest problem.:)

eternalshiva
11-24-2003, 12:14 PM
ugh, a better ending that didn't make me want to slam my head on the floor. It's way too confusing. I still don't really know if the guy is really dead or alive at the end. And the story between Squall and Laguna should of been more developped. IT SUCKEd having to guess if they are or not related in any way. ...

Jebus
11-29-2003, 01:49 AM
I kind of liked the junction system, but it did make the early game (and most of the last game) quite easy.

Aside from that, character development, monster leveling, mp, blah, blah.

I have nothing new to add really, so I'm just wasting half a minute of your time.

Siwolae
12-03-2003, 11:11 AM
i love the game a lot but i think voice acting would be great and maybe if they remake the game for ps2 like how MGS was remade for that other sysytem. ^_^

Peegee
12-06-2003, 09:23 AM
What is wrong with the junctioning system? I need reasons

I want a better plot, but whatever....I think the plot turned out too complicated for a simple love story:

A bunch of military school kids do missions, get assigned to work for Rinoa. Job was to negotiate with president....after a bunch of mishaps ended up chasing down Seifer. More running around. Meet up with Irvine. More running around. Failed assasination of Sorceress. More running around. MORE failed sorc fighting. Rinoa gets infested with Sorc powers. Go outer space. Adel and monsters go to earth. Rinoa captured, and suddenly Squall changes his mind and rescues her. Adel/Rinoa battle. Something happens (I have no clue because I'm only at the end of Disc 3, and I haven't played in years) and they go into time compression. Fighting of the other sorcs. Final sorc castle.

I forgot all about the random telepathic time travelling and the eventual meetup of *argued to be, but probably likely to be* squall's father what's-his-name and his friends.

Anyway it's too complicated for me. I also forgot the GF nonsense and that the kids were all from the same orphanage. Meh. I wonder how complicated FF7 was. I know cloud is a clone, but that's all I know in terms of plot twists.

Outsider
12-07-2003, 08:14 AM
I know what could make it better!!!

NOT MAKE IT

Rostum
12-07-2003, 09:19 AM
Well Outsider, FFVIII has already been made so I think you just need to deal with it.

I personal think that they should have done something a little better than drawing magic from enemies, it was too easy and only time consuming.

Other than that, I think FFVIII is a good game. xD

Ghost
12-09-2003, 07:39 AM
You know what I really hate? When people tell others to "deal with it" after they state an opinion on a message board which ASKS THEM TO STATE THEIR OPINION.
Moving along....

I have a lotta beef with this game, but I'll try to be as unbiased as possible. Also, I'm not just gonna bitch since the actual question for this thread is "What would make it better," I'll give my suggestions.

You want reasons the Junction system's a royal pain in the ass?
1. Casting magic reduced your stats. This could be avoided by not casting the magic which was junctioned to your stats except that the only magic with enough of a boost to bother junctioning to your stats also happened to be the only magic powerful enough to bother casting.
2. Drawing enough of a given spell to bother with casting OR junctioning took a really long time and was really boring.

I see two possible solutions to the Junctioning problem; either have two separate "compartments" to store drawn magic - one for stats and one for casting (though this doesn't solve the problem of three-hour-long draw-fests), or incorporate MP. Even a moderately priced consumable item for increasing the amount of a given spell already in your possesion would have helped this out. Coulda balanced it by dividing the spells into power levels and having the items come in varying potencies and priced accordingly.
Moving along....

The characters, INCLUDING the two who supposedly underwent the primary "character development" were two-dimensional and stiff. Rinoa was a whiny little baby throughout the story, showing no discernable signs of growing the hell up. She verbally claims to be experiencing an increasing maturity as a result of her experiences with the SeeDs, but her actions would seem to imply otherwise right up to the end.
And then something, somehow convinces the cold Squall to come around and really like her. However I felt that whatever it was Squall saw in her, it sure as hell wasn't shown to the player. Made it look like Squall just changed his mind for no reason.

To fix this? Well, I'm going to try not to get into the plot too much since in my opinion it needs a complete reworking from the ground up. The pacing was all off. As has been stated, the character development was next to nil. And the expertly woven plot twists I'd come to expect from Squaresoft at the time were replaced with "Oh I know how to cover this plot-hole! We all forgot!" I wrote better dramatic twists in 8th grade; nearly anyone could have. It's not genius-level creative writing knowledge that for something to be a believable part of your story, you have to incorporate it into the world BEFORE it comes into major play in the plot. Deus ex machina may have worked for the Greeks but audiences today deserve a little more credit.
So: better pacing, more depth of characters, more development of romance ("develop" being the primary operative word here), believable and/or forshadowed plot elements.

More diverse music. The music the game had was great, I just got tired of hearing the same piano tune in EVERY dungeon.

I won't go into the optional stuff like the card game (which sucked) because the player wasn't forced to sit through that junk to learn the story.
<SPOILER>
The ending made little to no sense. Let me run it by you in simpler terms than they gave it to you in the game. "Ultimecia wants to compress time...because...she can! So the big plan is this: We allow Ultimecia to compress time...and then beat her up!" Ever see the movie Ghostbusters? There's a part in the beginning in a library. Peter claims to have a plan and intructs his colleagues to follow him as they sneak up behind the ghost. When they get close, Peter merely shouts, "Get her!" and lunges forward - through the apparition which then flips out and goes all stop-motion on their scientific asses. This is essentially the same plan, only in FFVIII it works out - "Thank you deus ex machina!" *smiles, cocking head to one side and looking into the camera; teeth twinkle*
<END SPOILER>

But I said I wasn't going to talk about the plot. The world was not as immersive as most other games I've played. There was never a reason to linger around any town for longer than you had to.
Trading magic amongst your teammates was cumbersome yet necessary. Many times a character you may not have been using much is forced into your party by a story event, but they won't last the night until you get your Junction on.
Possible solution: grant the characters not in-use a level gain based on an average of the highest levels of the in-use characters. Like VII had. Actually, I can't remember if VIII had this or not. If it did, maybe it was the moster leveling that tripped me up, since the monster LVs were based on the average highest LVs in your party.

Oh and the plot promised to have a political undertone in the outset of the game what with the whole SeeD thing, but that just kinda fell by the wayside when Edea showed up (Edea recieved ZERO development). The game would have been much more enjoyable for me if you had kept receiving SeeD missions (and maybe even, I don't know, completing some of them?) like assasinating political VIPs, or guarding shipments of valuable materials, or protecting political VIPs from assasination, the list could go on....

And last: STABILIZE THE SeeD RANKINGS!! I tried my damndest to haul ass to the mission objective to prove somehow that I was a good soldier only to have my SeeD ranking (and my salary) decrease. Then later...milling about with no goal in mind...it inexplicably rises. I saved, turned the PSX off, and couldn't bring myself to play it for two days. What the hell? Am I dense, or was the SeeD ranking system just really elusive?

Well, I think that's all I have to complain about the game (I also think that's everything IN the game). So I'll close this by saying that all-in-all despite all these shortcomings I really, really despised Final Fantasy VIII. But it could have been good. It had potential. Utterly squandered potential.

soulICE
12-10-2003, 08:37 PM
*applauds*

Flashback007
12-11-2003, 03:01 PM
Great speach :P

I think the storyline should not be this complex (First Edea is the bad guy...uh girl. And then suddenly it's Ultimicea. Queit confusing.

Second point. The drawing system. What a peace of crap was that. Really it doesn't make any sense. Make like someone said before, a system, like you get a GF and it's learning you magic. A bit like in FF6.

DocFrance
12-13-2003, 01:47 AM
Originally posted by Ghost
Oh and the plot promised to have a political undertone in the outset of the game what with the whole SeeD thing, but that just kinda fell by the wayside when Edea showed up (Edea recieved ZERO development). The game would have been much more enjoyable for me if you had kept receiving SeeD missions (and maybe even, I don't know, completing some of them?) like assasinating political VIPs, or guarding shipments of valuable materials, or protecting political VIPs from assasination, the list could go on... That would be pretty cool. Sort of like how FFT-A does it - some missions are just for getting money, experience, and items, but a few advance the plot. I might actually like the game if it had implemented something like that.

blitzballstar01
12-15-2003, 11:16 PM
I actually like the game. the only thing i didnt like was the junctioning and drawing thing (As everyone else has mentioned)

I also don't like how the characters aren't really developed, but there is a bright way to look at it. It's not really the BEST thing they coulda done, but without a whole bunch of character development, it leaves it open for the player to decide what theyre like, and kind of form their own game so to speak. you can imagine what the characters are like to yourself. it kinda makes it a different game every time you play it if you think about it. but yea, thats just a good way to look at it...they really coulda developed them more.

DJZen
12-22-2003, 06:58 AM
My big gripe with the game is the whole love story between Squall and Rinoa. Boy meets girl, girl thinks boy is cute, boy ignores girl, boy says whatever a lot, girl turns out to be evil, boy falls in love........ WHAT? I mean, I know what they were trying to do, but it just didn't work out. Plus the weird unemotional and vague style of language that Square loves to use doesn't help any. I mean, the whole time that Squall is talking to himself and trying to sift through his emotions he doesn't really say anything compelling or terribly relatable. In the end I cared more about saving the world than I did about Squall's little fling with whatserface.

lionslash
01-09-2004, 03:53 AM
I think that when you change your main character, the entire ending sequence changes. Wouldn't it be cool if at the end Irvine and Selphie fell in love or something. I admit Squall is a really cool character, but wouldn't this make playing through the game over and over again even more fun? :D

MagicKnight Locke
01-11-2004, 01:08 PM
I know what...

...It cant be a better game since its the best already...

...maybe a bit more difficulty though

RainOPain
01-13-2004, 09:16 PM
I'd say they could've used some more subtley.
I'm for the whole idea of a person changing for the better and developing, but they just bludgeon you in the face with it.
"I sure have changed" - Squall
Jeez