PDA

View Full Version : Things you'd never be able to find out in the game itself...

Peter_20
11-04-2006, 03:20 PM
Sometimes, while playing a game, I get thrown into situations where you're just supposed to know or find out something; stuff that has no logical explanations, or things you have to find out through the trial-and-error strategy.
The first time I experienced this was in Goldeneye 007 - "Egyptian".
I had no idea how to get rid of the damn drone guns guarding the Golden Gun, so I collected Grenades and tried blowing them up.
That didn't help much at all, and besides, it felt like a really farfetched strategy, so I was confused for a while.
Then I ran into this Internet site that explained how to walk on the floor tiles - lol, I was on the wrong track all the time! XD

Right now I'm playing Final Fantasy 8, and I kinda forgot what items I needed in order to call the GF Doomtrain.
How the hell am I supposed to know that I need 6 Remedy+s, 6 Steel Pipes and 6 Malboro Tentacles?
It's ridiculous.

Vincent, Thunder God
11-04-2006, 06:32 PM
Tifa's limit break on the piano in FF7 was pretty ridiculous, even though if you play the tune the right way you realize that it's actually the main theme of FF7.

Most puzzles in the adventure games I play (such as the Monkey Island series) can be almost impossible to figure out without a walkthrough.

I know this has happened to me on other games, but I can't remember them at the moment.

Dreddz
11-04-2006, 06:42 PM
Playing as Akuma in Street Fighter 2.

Rostum
11-04-2006, 09:39 PM
Defenately adventure games.

Oh man, Myst IV was so damn hard. >.<; I actually had to download a video of someone completing a puzzel, because I had spent a week trying to figure out what the hell to do.

Not only were the clues pretty hard to find, the puzzel was sound based and you had to be extremely accurate and fast with your mouse.

Zeromus_X
11-04-2006, 09:41 PM
Most sidequests in RPGs.

Missable things, to be accurate. This Zodiac Spear comes to mind in FFXII. I just don't even care about it really, since it requires a guide to even know in the first place which treasures you can't pick up.

Darth Cid
11-04-2006, 09:44 PM
I have the hardest time in a room of an LoZ dungeon thinking the way to move on is very complex, when I finally break down and check a walkthrough, it turns out the way to move on is very simple, I hate it when that happens.

Old Manus
11-04-2006, 10:43 PM
Oh, come on.

Figuring out Meryl's codec number on MGS1 was something which was literally IMPOSSIBLE TO FIND IN THE GAME ITSELF.

Nasarian Altimeros
11-05-2006, 01:13 AM
o hai FFX-2

Pete for President
11-05-2006, 03:09 AM
Oh, come on.

Figuring out Meryl's codec number on MGS1 was something which was literally IMPOSSIBLE TO FIND IN THE GAME ITSELF.

I agree.

Odaisé Gaelach
11-05-2006, 03:09 AM
Probably the entire game of The Longest Journey. And that's a long game! :D

Thank goodness Dreamfall is a little easier.

Kryton87
11-05-2006, 08:50 AM
Kinda like the Wall Jump in Super Metroid. I suppose it is described at some point in the game, but given that you don't ever fall down in that pit, (which if you've played the first one know not to do) or if you don't happen across it, you'd probably never know it exists.

Its true I don't know if there's some explanation in the book that comes with the game, I have just about none of those.

That takes me back... to the days when the book was actually useful. When I chose not to use it for the challenge of figuring it out, rather than because there was no useful information inside.

Sylvie
11-05-2006, 09:30 AM
A lot of things in Zelda. (For me, anyway.)

Rainecloud
11-05-2006, 10:04 AM
Tifa's limit break on the piano in FF7 was pretty ridiculous, even though if you play the tune the right way you realize that it's actually the main theme of FF7.

Actually, that one was pretty easy for me. I was just messing around on the piano, figuring out which tunes I could play from the game, and voila.

:p

Vermachtnis
11-05-2006, 05:47 PM
The Secret Rubee Room in Link to the Past, but I think it was built that way ;p.

The Forest Ruins in Valkyrie Profile 2. There is supposedly a very extremely vague hint on what you are suppose to do. Infact that hint confused a couple of people on what they were suppose to do. Yea you are suppose to put Seal Stones in all the Daises.
Also in that game are you suppose to know how to get those characters to Lv. 40 and another group to Lv. 45 to get the Uber weapons. Even when you do the game does not even alert that you acquired any new weapons. They just appear all of a sudden in the inventory.

Roto13
11-05-2006, 05:57 PM
Right now I'm playing Final Fantasy 8, and I kinda forgot what items I needed in order to call the GF Doomtrain.
How the hell am I supposed to know that I need 6 Remedy+s, 6 Steel Pipes and 6 Malboro Tentacles?
It's ridiculous.

It's in one of the magazines, actually. I think.

I remember playing Legend of Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon and having no idea what to do next because it didn't give me even the vaguest hint.

ljkkjlcm9
11-05-2006, 06:32 PM
In Star Tropics, at one point you have to get a certain piece of paper wet to reveal a "letter" to get the access code to be able to do something in the game. I'm not sure if the paper was in the instruction booklet or just in the box, but either way, never buy this game without everything. And if you have a rom of it, you HAVE to look it up somewhere. I just remember getting to that and being like... are you serious? Nothing in the game could tell you that passcode, so you'd basically be screwed.

THE JACKEL

Shoeberto
11-05-2006, 06:59 PM
Killer7, the battle with the two dead Japanese businessman. I don't know how they expected people to just figure out the pattern.

Lindy
11-05-2006, 07:23 PM
The scene beforehand hints at the whole tie thing.

Anyway, it makes about as much sense as the story in general.

Zeromus_X
11-05-2006, 07:39 PM
Killer7, the battle with the two dead Japanese businessman. I don't know how they expected people to just figure out the pattern.

Oh UGH.

Roto13
11-05-2006, 08:12 PM

Oh UGH.

Ah, yeah, the tie thing. That took... trial and error. Though it's something you figure out once you start blasting randomly. :P

Kawaii Ryűkishi
11-05-2006, 08:32 PM
Oh, come on.

Figuring out Meryl's codec number on MGS1 was something which was literally IMPOSSIBLE TO FIND IN THE GAME ITSELF.It doesn't count if the game tells you exactly where you can find it, though.

Roto13
11-05-2006, 08:35 PM
Oh, come on.

Figuring out Meryl's codec number on MGS1 was something which was literally IMPOSSIBLE TO FIND IN THE GAME ITSELF.It doesn't count if the game tells you exactly where you can find it, though.

You know, even if you don't have the case, it's easy enough (if not time-consuming) to just go through all of the frequencies systematically.

Old Manus
11-05-2006, 11:57 PM
It doesn't help that Baker gives you a CD before he dies either, making you (me) think it was something to do with that.

fantasyjunkie
11-06-2006, 09:12 AM
Oh, come on.

I agree.

It took me smurfing forever to figure that one out! :mad2:

Captain Maxx Power
11-06-2006, 11:15 AM
Pretty much every MMORPG out there right now. Without hand-holding tutoring from another player attempting to learn the world on your own is like giving a newborn child and knife and then throwing it into a pool full of sharks and expecting it to come out alive.

Also, it's the deep end.

Bunny
11-06-2006, 12:29 PM
Getting all 108 characters in the Suikoden series is pretty much impossible without previous knowledge on the location and process of each one. Tried and true.

Lindy
11-06-2006, 01:51 PM
Pretty much every MMORPG out there right now. Without hand-holding tutoring from another player attempting to learn the world on your own is like giving a newborn child and knife and then throwing it into a pool full of sharks and expecting it to come out alive.

Also, it's the deep end.
Because there are never first time players of MMORPGs, people are BORN playing them, duh.

Jowy
11-06-2006, 03:32 PM
Acquiring two Dragon Claws from the Presenter fight in FFVI.

Ender
11-06-2006, 05:13 PM
The Zelda games have been dumbed down quite a bit since the 8-bit days. The dungeon walls and overworld rock walls that could be bombed to reveal passages in the original Legend of Zelda were impossible to find yourself except for trial and error or by accident. Nowadays they make the bomb-able walls fairly, if not completely, obvious.

Sefie1999AD
11-06-2006, 05:30 PM
Most side quests in FFs, pretty much. For example, how on earth would you know that you get something for dodging 200 thunderbolts if nobody told you that? I don't think anyone would figure that out with trial and error, either. I mean, who goes to the Thunder Plains and decides to dodge 200 bolts just in case you'd get something for doing that? :p

This one is the winner, though: to defeat your shadow in the 2nd last level in the original Prince of Persia, you need to lower your sword, so that shadow will also lower it. Then you need to touch the shadow to merge with it. After that, you need to go to the left, and there's a huge bottomless looking pit that you can't cross. However, just keep walking to the pit, and you'll encounter some invisible tiles that will take you to the next level. Getting the power of the flame and turning into the flame figure in Prince of Persia 2 is pretty much just as hard to know without anyone telling you that.

When Cloud and others were visiting Nibelheim in the flashback (in Kalm), you can go to Tifa's room and play the piano there. Cloud will then play the Highwind melody, so that's how you'll know which song you can play on the piano.

Peter_20
11-06-2006, 08:03 PM
Kinda like the Wall Jump in Super Metroid. I suppose it is described at some point in the game, but given that you don't ever fall down in that pit, (which if you've played the first one know not to do) or if you don't happen across it, you'd probably never know it exists.I didn't even know about its existence when I beheld those monkeys. XD
I was like "wtf are they doing?" and then I tried imitating them after a few centuries of huge confusion. :rolleyes2
THEN, all of a sudden, I managed to do my very first wall jump, and it kinda flowed after that; it isn't that hard once you've learned it, really.

oddler
11-06-2006, 10:19 PM
Kinda like the Wall Jump in Super Metroid. I suppose it is described at some point in the game, but given that you don't ever fall down in that pit, (which if you've played the first one know not to do) or if you don't happen across it, you'd probably never know it exists.I didn't even know about its existence when I beheld those monkeys. XD
I was like "wtf are they doing?" and then I tried imitating them after a few centuries of huge confusion. :rolleyes2
THEN, all of a sudden, I managed to do my very first wall jump, and it kinda flowed after that; it isn't that hard once you've learned it, really.

Well-spoken. This epiphany was the climax of my gaming self-esteem. :D

Cid Vicious
11-07-2006, 12:02 PM
I'm actually stuck on one right now. In Zelda: The Minish Cap how do i get rid of those Cats so Gustaf can build a house there.