PDA

View Full Version : What is Eden?

Duncan
11-13-2006, 03:52 PM
What exactly is Eden? Is it alive? Is it machine? And what exactly does eternal breath do? Everytime I watch this I try and figure out what in the world is going on and I still scratch my head every time.

Nasarian Altimeros
11-13-2006, 03:55 PM
Eden is a Garden.

Square thought they were clever.

Levian
11-13-2006, 04:47 PM
Eden is atah in Al Bhed, and atah is a German animal rights movement.

I don't know.

Christmas
11-13-2006, 04:48 PM
The painting puzzle in Ultimecia's castle refers to Diablos. The solution involves a Messenger and Diablos' attack is called Dark Messenger. If the garden that the puzzle refers to is Eden, then Diablos may represent the devil that disguised itself a serpent and corrupted man. Quite an appropriate theme for Ultimecia.
Regarding the paintings, this is what i interpret the last time in some older threads.

INTERVIGILIUM (Sleep) - The sleep magic
VIVIDARIUM (Garden) - The Garden of SeeD
VIATOR (Messenger) - Diablo's dark messenger attack

Big Picture: In A Garden Sleeps A Messenger:

Diablos sleeps inside the magical lamp which is given in Balamb garden,

Anyone can have their interpretatons of their own like future Esthar having his but since there is nothing much to verify it, I can't say much about those pictures only that it make the boss appear that's all.
I wonder if anyone have another interpretations wish to share.

The GF Eden is a Garden. The evidence is that she looks like an organic version of a Garden. Note the upper disc. Also the garden of Eden was the GF's namesake

Here is something I found out about Eden(for references):

The Garden of Eden story recounts how God created Adam and Eve, commanded them not to eat from the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil, and how they were expelled from the garden after they disobeyed Him, having been tempted by a serpent, and ate the fruit. As part of the Expulsion, cherubim and a flaming sword were stationed at the entrance to the garden, in order to prevent man from returning and eating from the Tree of Life.

Could the sword mean the sword wielding Ultima weapon that is guarding Eden itself.

Others point out that the world of Eden's time was destroyed during Noah's Flood and it is therefore impossible to place the Garden anywhere in post-flood geography. There is also an attempt to tie this with the mystical sunken land of Atlantis.
If it is flood so it could possible be sunken and you find Eden deep within the sea with a sword wielding monster guarding/having it.

Just take that as references and not take it too seriously.

For more info, click here. (http://forums.eyesonff.com/showthread.php?t=68988&highlight=THEORIES)

BG-57
11-13-2006, 06:22 PM
That was a good discussion thread. And I still subscribe to the 'Garden of Eden' theory. :)

Ryushikaze
11-13-2006, 08:28 PM
Eden is a Guardian Force, and as such, only has what meaning you give to it.

One might as well ask "What is Carbuncle" for the useful responses.

rubah
11-13-2006, 10:36 PM
Carbuncle is a carbuncle.

1 a obsolete : any of several red precious stones b : the garnet cut cabochon

Check out his forehead. Also, wasn't Carbuncle called Garnet in . . one of the snes ones? I thought it was:O Rubies are definitely red, though, so ruby light!

Most of the GFs are things anyways. Ifrit is a djinn, siren is a siren(lorelai?)(lol odysseus), phoenix is a phoenix, bahamut is a great big ol' flying lizard, cerberus is a three-headed HELLDOG, Leviathan is a great big ol' water lizard, Quezacotl is totally Incan, Shiva is Hindu, Minotaur is Greek no? It was in a batman cartoon and freaked me out. Diablos *pretends* he's the devil, but we all know he isn't. tonberry and cactuar and possibly doomtrain are from earlier ffs.

It just leaves Alexander and Eden really. Maybe sacred, I dunno :p Man I would love to know what was up with a robot angel.

I think Eden is a garden. She roughly resembles the shape of a Garden, at least. And there is a bunch of other garden symbology in the game (understandably) so it makes sense. I mean what would they have called her otherwise, "Hanging in Babylon"?

"yeah I need to shop at the petstore and get some Amnesia greens for Hanging in Babylon. She totally don't need all those hp abilities"

If religious mythology doesn't cut it for you in ff8, check out The Solomon Ring (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seal_of_solomon)

So is doomtrain a demon then, or an animalxD

Zeromus_X
11-14-2006, 03:11 AM
Eden is Ultimecia.

rubah
11-14-2006, 03:24 AM
I'm not friends with you no more, Zexy.

Bart's Friend Milhouse
11-14-2006, 11:57 AM
PM Future Esthar

*~Angel Wing~*
11-14-2006, 01:51 PM
The Garden of Eden story recounts how God created Adam and Eve, commanded them not to eat from the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil, and how they were expelled from the garden after they disobeyed Him, having been tempted by a serpent, and ate the fruit. As part of the Expulsion, cherubim and a flaming sword were stationed at the entrance to the garden, in order to prevent man from returning and eating from the Tree of Life.

Could the sword mean the sword wielding Ultima weapon that is guarding Eden itself.

Others point out that the world of Eden's time was destroyed during Noah's Flood and it is therefore impossible to place the Garden anywhere in post-flood geography. There is also an attempt to tie this with the mystical sunken land of Atlantis.
If it is flood so it could possible be sunken and you find Eden deep within the sea with a sword wielding monster guarding/having it.

That's really interesting!!! :jess:

I always wondered what Eden was...

Ryushikaze
11-14-2006, 03:21 PM
Quezacotl is totally Incan, Shiva is Hindu,

No, and No. Quetzy is Mayan, though it's understandable, and Shiva (Shiuwah) is most likely based on a European frost goddess

IceAngel
11-14-2006, 03:58 PM
I found out somewhere that it was the Garden of the Future...

MJN SEIFER
11-14-2006, 07:29 PM

No, and No. Quetzy is Mayan, though it's understandable, and Shiva (Shiuwah) is most likely based on a European frost goddess

There is a Hindu God* called Shiva but it is pronounced "Shee-Vah" and the FF Shiva is "SHIH - VAH" (Shiver). So it's not the same thing.

*I think it's a God, but I don't know much about Hindu.

boys from the dwarf
11-14-2006, 08:09 PM
when i watch the eden summoning sequence it seems that edens blasting the monsters into a black hole or and imploding sun or something crazy like that. its been a while since i've seen it though.

Iceglow
11-14-2006, 10:10 PM
it is a hindu godess, Shiva protects women, she is often depicted with 6 arms and carrying a bloodied sword and a man's severed head in her arms.

Her followers are nearly all female though not all are hindu she is often worshipped as a pagan godess too.

Flying Mullet
11-14-2006, 10:19 PM
There is a Hindu God* called Shiva but it is pronounced "Shee-Vah" and the FF Shiva is "SHIH - VAH" (Shiver). So it's not the same thing.
I've never heard Kiva pronounced "SHIH - VAH" (Shiver). I've always heard it pronounced "Shee-Vah".

Ryushikaze
11-14-2006, 11:01 PM

*I think it's a God, but I don't know much about Hindu.

Yes, but the FF Shiva is based on Shiuwah if anyone, not the Hindu god.

it is a hindu godess, Shiva protects women, she is often depicted with 6 arms and carrying a bloodied sword and a man's severed head in her arms.

Her followers are nearly all female though not all are hindu she is often worshipped as a pagan godess too.

NO and DOUBLE no. Shiva is a MALE deity through and through, and the only thing I can think of to explain this bolloxing is that you are somehow confusing the man with his wife Kali.

Flying Mullet
11-15-2006, 03:43 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shiva

Evol
11-15-2006, 08:08 AM
Eden is an experiment GF.

Twilight Edge
11-17-2006, 04:14 PM
Alexander could be named after Alexander the Great. ;)

rubah
11-17-2006, 11:35 PM
Except he was a human, not an angelic robot.

Roto13
11-18-2006, 06:09 AM
Well, there's Pope Alexander the first.

Iceglow
11-18-2006, 02:52 PM
NO and DOUBLE no. Shiva is a MALE deity through and through, and the only thing I can think of to explain this bolloxing is that you are somehow confusing the man with his wife Kali.

Right you are, I posted that when I had slept very little for a prolonged time. Kali is the one who came in to my mind not shiva sorry 'bout that.

Cezanzo
11-18-2006, 08:38 PM
Isnt Leviathan a god to? I saw it on google once:p

rubah
11-18-2006, 09:20 PM
He's a big fish in the bible, not a god.

BG-57
11-19-2006, 12:28 AM
Job 41:1-34 (http://www.worldwideschool.org/library/books/relg/bible/KingJamesBible18-Job/chap5.html)

Changsta
12-11-2006, 04:52 AM
Eden is Jesus.

Lord Rimoah
12-13-2006, 12:08 AM
Eden is a Time Machine.

TyphoonThaReapa
01-10-2007, 07:38 PM
A'yo, Alexander is a mega robot from the Power Rangers (Just kidding!). And Eden, which is the best summon in FF history, is a Time Shifting Dragon with the garden of eden on is back. The guardian of the garden of eden and the holy pet of God.:cool:

Ryushikaze
01-11-2007, 03:29 AM
Despite neither YHWH nor the Garden of Eden existing in FF8?

Aemilius Blight
01-11-2007, 04:30 AM
I do not think he was being serious.

TyphoonThaReapa
01-16-2007, 04:56 PM
I do not think he was being serious.

I am as serious as you think I am. Hehehe...:cool:

Lord Rimoah
01-17-2007, 04:25 AM
Pharoh Amon Khan III explained it best... Eden is a time machine. Just look at the summons animation...

TyphoonThaReapa
01-18-2007, 03:46 PM
A'yo, the though of Eden being a simple time machine is insulting to me.:eep:

Ryushikaze
01-18-2007, 05:31 PM
Pharoh Amon Khan III explained it best... Eden is a time machine. Just look at the summons animation...

Which involves tossing people through space. I don't see the time travel.

Hambone
01-21-2007, 03:29 AM

:(

Sorceress_Louella
02-16-2007, 08:42 AM

There is a scandinavian frost goddess in nordic mythology named Skadi. BUT, shiva is the name of a hindu god who dances the dance of destruction on top of a fire. i believe shiva's wife/consort's name is kali.

Moon Rabbits
02-16-2007, 02:42 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shiva

Yeppers~

As for the Quezacotl, or however they spell it in the game, it's actually supposed to be Quetzalcoatl (but there wasn't enough space in the name thingy):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quetzalcoatl

And on Eden, she's obviously a Garden.

Human Devil
02-16-2007, 03:56 PM
Yea I think the same as you guys. Eden is a Garden. Quezacotl as you may already know is spelled Quetzalcoatl and was god the Maya's and many other cultures believed in. As for Shiva. Shiva is a giant 4 armed statue in Bangalore that Hindu's believed in if you read the other post's.

ReloadPsi
02-16-2007, 07:42 PM
What I don't get is why Eden is called "Orbital" in the French version.

thegirth
02-17-2007, 12:02 AM
cuz those frenchie french bastards dont know how to name anything right (just playin, i have nothing against the french)

BG-57
02-17-2007, 02:47 AM
Well, the name does describe what it does. So I understand the significance of Orbital.

But Eden is a much better name.

Ryushikaze
02-17-2007, 05:07 PM

There is a scandinavian frost goddess in nordic mythology named Skadi. BUT, shiva is the name of a hindu god who dances the dance of destruction on top of a fire. i believe shiva's wife/consort's name is kali.

Yes. I was saying it's entirely possible they were trying to reference Siva, a Slavic fertility goddess, since the FF Shiva and the Hindu one only have being Blue in common.

Of course, they could have just pulled a Stupid, like they did with Odin.

Mirage
02-17-2007, 05:29 PM
6 LEGS LOL. :(

snakebyte91
02-17-2007, 10:36 PM
wat do you mean six legs?

rubah
02-17-2007, 10:42 PM
Odin's horse in legend has 8 legs, not just 6.

snakebyte91
02-17-2007, 10:44 PM
really? i thought it had six legs...

Lord Rimoah
02-18-2007, 07:37 AM
Eden is a time machine...

BG-57
02-18-2007, 01:21 PM
Also Odin is supposed to only have one eye.

Markus. D
02-19-2007, 02:49 AM
He's a big fish in the bible, not a god.

and a thing that eats Dante in Devil May Cry :3

rubah
02-19-2007, 03:04 AM
Also Odin is supposed to only have one eye.

You found his eye, remember? Up in the tower, you had to hunt it down so you could even get to him. Square gets points for that.

Christmas
02-19-2007, 05:30 AM
I heard Eden is actually a flying brothel from the future. :bigsmile:

Sephex
02-19-2007, 06:03 AM
I don't know what it is, but it's sheer size scares the crap out of me every single time I summon it.

Mirage
02-19-2007, 06:08 AM
really? i thought it had six legs...
See? This is what happens when Square fails to do their homework.

ReloadPsi
02-19-2007, 10:28 AM
Funny, I saw Odin with six legs and thought "Cool, that's authentic". FF7's graphics suck a dog's *oops* so I couldn't really be sure about the eyes.

But Sleipnir is meant to have eight legs? Oh well.

thegirth
02-19-2007, 10:43 AM
10 points for knowing the name

Medi
02-19-2007, 05:30 PM
Eden might be a Time Machine. I remember one time a couple years ago, I was summoning Eden and my mom was watching, and since she knows many things about religions she commented that this was some sort of special clock:

http://eternal-legend.com/ffviii/gfs/shots/eden11.jpg
http://eternal-legend.com/ffviii/gfs/shots/eden12.jpg

I don't remember what the full name of the clock was though.

Lord Rimoah
02-22-2007, 12:20 AM
Eden might be a Time Machine. I remember one time a couple years ago, I was summoning Eden and my mom was watching, and since she knows many things about religions she commented that this was some sort of special clock:

http://eternal-legend.com/ffviii/gfs/shots/eden11.jpg
http://eternal-legend.com/ffviii/gfs/shots/eden12.jpg

I don't remember what the full name of the clock was though.

Told ya... Or rather PAKIII told ya...

TyphoonThaReapa
02-22-2007, 03:16 PM
Of course Eden his everything to do with time. But Eden is lot more then a simple time machine. First of all, all dragon in this game has an attack called breath. Eden has Eternal Breath with a garden on it's back. Like I said before, I think Eden is a time manipulating God dragon.

BG-57
02-23-2007, 03:01 AM
I've already said what I thought Eden was, but I want to point out that Eden is also female. There's a humanoid torso with cleavage under the front of the rim.