Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is mario being whored?

Banned
    Blog Entries

Default Is mario being whored?

Mario's been famous for years and all of his games used to be top-notch,
    but recently he's just been in games so they would sell.

For instance I could name a bunch of games off the top of my head that are only slightly successful because they have Mario in them.
    To some extent I'm bored of mario now I mean fair enough mario galaxy is a great game but the other 50 odd that have been released this year aren't.

Does anybody agree with me that nintendo need to go easier on him? or do you think that he'll forever be the main character on second rate games.

Anything that sells will be slapped everywhere. They're gonna put things like Mario or Final Fantasy or Star Wars on everything possible. These days it's up to the consumer to discern the difference between an actual title and a potential disaster. Just how it flows these days! Hey, if I was Nintendo and I could get people to buy Mario Moth Catching III, I'd do it too.

The moment Mario became an icon,which was around the time Super Mario Bros. came out, he has been a whore used to sell games. It's a coincidence that the games were good, and the fact that they have had some mario games is nothing new. remember mario in time or whatever? horrible.

It's been this way since Mario Kart. Most of the games he's in are pretty good, though. They don't throw him in shovelware.

Super Paper Mario ftw. :P

This thread better not turn into a thread where everyone starts hating on Mario.................

There's way too much of those on the internet as it is (same with Pokemon and Kirby hating threads).

Anyways, I am quite dissappointed that Mario's games are mostly spinoffs (some of them like Mario Kart and the Smash Bros. series which is only partially Mario I'm personally more than okay with). I would like to see some new platforming Mario games (that have Luigi having a significant role in them). That's what the Mario series was from the start and it shouldn't have changed drastically. I'd also like to see characters like Waluigi and Daisy play major roles in non-spinoff Mario games.

Quote Originally Posted by demondude55 View Post
    Mario's been famous for years and all of his games used to be top-notch,
    but recently he's just been in games so they would sell.

For instance I could name a bunch of games off the top of my head that are only slightly successful because they have Mario in them.
    To some extent I'm bored of mario now I mean fair enough mario galaxy is a great game but the other 50 odd that have been released this year aren't.

Does anybody agree with me that nintendo need to go easier on him? or do you think that he'll forever be the main character on second rate games.

SE does the same thing with FF. What's your point?

Vaan - "Hey, you!"
    Penelo - "Yeah, you! The one reading this sig at this very moment!"
    Vaan - "Interested in playing FFXII International Zodiac Job system?"
    Ashe - "But you have no knowledge of the Japanese language?"
    Fran - "....We could help...."
    Balthier - "That's right, Fran! Just click on Crossblades' thread on the very bottom of this signature and it will show you all license grid translations, magicks and tecks locations, and other changes that were made!"
    Basch - "Don't forget though. Swap Magic is needed to play this game if you don't own a japanese PS2."
    Vaan - "Also remember that if you played the original, you'll have an easier time playing the international version. We hope you enjoy the International Zodiac Job System experience. See ya then!"

http://forums.eyesonff.com/final-fan...ther-info.html

Blog Entries

Is Mario being whored? No doubt at all, really. Why, I can name quite a few Mario Spin-Offs right now!

Mario Kart
    Mario Party
    Mario Golf
    Mario Tennis
    Mario Strikers
    Whatever that Mario Baseball game was.
    Mario RPG's

But at least the lot of them are decent, I suppose. I, personally, like the Mario Kart and Mario RPG games.

Yeah, I think they're just pretty much whoring out Mario. But, think of Final Fantasy. If you want to stay with Nintendo games, there's also Zelda. Nintendo pretty much whores out everything. I think with some games, there's a terrible plot but they just throw a cameo in there and it sells, no matter how terrible it is.

Bad plot. :P Most Mario games have good to great gameplay. Who cares about the plot in Mario Golf?

Blog Entries

I hate mario.

Holy Dragoon Kain <3 Recognized Member KoShiatar's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Mario is being whored, like every single famous brand in the world of videogames, I think.
    But no, games starring Mario are not shovelware, or at least they're not intended to be (most, like Super Paper Mario and the Mario Kart games, are actually fun). Nintendo doesn't want to spoil their gold-eggs-laying hens, for very good reasons.

A Big Deal? Recognized Member Big D's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Someone at Nintendo is going to see the title of this thread, then they'll be inspired to make a Mario prostitution RPG...

Of course he is being whored -- it works! It does sell their stuff, and he is a great mascot for Nintendo, imo.

I like a lot of his games, but there are some pretty bad ones. I so can't wait until I have a go (or watch my girlfriend having a go) at Mario Galaxy.

Mario Kart is just so awesome, and so are the standard games as well as Mario Party and sport games. I like them, they are fun, but I wouldn't spend hours upon hours playing them.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Roto13 View Post
    They don't throw him in shovelware.
    Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games
    Mario is Missing
    Mario's Time Machine
    Mario Paint
    Mario Kart: Double Dash

Pretty sure the argument could be made that a lot of the more recent Mario Party games, and possibly even some of the Sports games are shovelware.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

stfu, Mario Kart Double Dash is great.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?