Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Golden Compass[movie]

Draw the Drapes Recognized Member rubah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Cookie The Golden Compass[movie]

Saw it tonight, I was pleased with just about everything except the bridge of lyra's nosexD It bugged me really bad to stare at xD

They changed the order of a couple of major events, but all the major events were there barring the ending (I read it was going to be in the second movie, to increase the draw).

Churchgoers will be pleased with it, I believe, but I don't know how they will resolve that with the future movies.

Hollywood threw in a few flashy things that I thought were unnecessary, but they aren't very important.

Stu said it moved too fast for him to really care for the characters, and I guess if you don't already know them that would probably be true.

I think most people don't realize this movie is the first in a series. Unlike something like Lord of the Rings, when everyone knew there was going to be more. I, as well as my friends, and everyone I talk to, did not realize it was going to have a sequel. I was left highly dissapointed.

THE JACKEL
    add me, PSN: ljkkjlcm9

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Hahaha, there were *SO* many people who said the exact same thing about LotR and left the theater going, "wtf, is that it?"

It's pretty obvious to some that this is the first part of a Trilogy, and not so obvious for others. Just like how it was for LotR.

Believe it or not, having my faith attacked is not something I usually pay for, especially since there are so many places where I can get it attacked for free.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Hey, that's you. This partcular episode pretty much contained zero mentions of religion. Although like I said, I don't know how they can keep that up through the third book's material.

Don't get mad, get moist I Don't Need A Name's Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Howie Kipps (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Skyblade View Post
    Believe it or not, having my faith attacked is not something I usually pay for, especially since there are so many places where I can get it attacked for free.
    Sorry, but its a fictional book/film
    get over it!

im quite looking forward to seeing this film
    my brother rang me and said its awsome so
    I made one myself for a change! Although you can probably tell that..

It's pretty decent for a movie, but it's nothing compared to the original book. And, yeah, while I do know there's supposed to be another two movies, I was irritated when they lopped off the end of it. The end is still part of the Golden Compass, and at the speed they were going I'm sure they could've squeezed in the end.

And @Skyblade: The movie doesn't really have many allusions to religion at all, bar the mention of some ancestors who are obviously Adam and Eve. That's about it, really. So don't get your underwear in a bundle over it =/ Seriously, you didn't see me making a fuss over how Narnia was based on a religious book, so please don't do the same over a movie based on an anti-religious book that's pretty much cutting out all the religious references anyhow.

S'not like it's real, anyway.

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

The reason they left the ending to the second movie was supposedly because people would've been too satisfied with that ending (SPOILER) lyra and pan walking into a heavenly city or however a moviegoer who hadn't read them would take it, so they tried to leave it more of a cliffhanger? I forget where I read that at, but I don't think it was very successful

The reasons why you shouldnt see this movie:

The Golden Compass Vs. The Holy Bible

"They said this day would never come. They said our sights were set too high. They said this country was too divided, too disillusioned to ever come around a common purpose. But on this January night, at this defining moment in history, you have done what the cynics said we couldn't do." - Barack Obama.
    clicky clicky clicky

I laugh at religion.

I can't wait to see this film as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Vivisteiner View Post
    The reasons why you shouldnt see this movie:

The Golden Compass Vs. The Holy Bible
    Ha.

Quote Originally Posted by Religious Fanatics
    Not only is the film full of cute, enticing, furry animals with mouths like horny sailors on leave in a Shanghai red light district, it exposes youngsters to alarming viewpoints that are anti-religious right, anti-morality, and anti-(just believing what you are damn well told!)

For a second I thought it was being serious and I almost stopped reading. XD Nice.

I haven't read the books yet, but I'm planning on seeing the movie next week. I don't know what the religious hooplah over this movie is. They've made it abundantly clear that they took they "offensive" stuff out.

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I want to see it. I'm assuming it'll be like most book-cum-movies and be a disappointment if you've read the book. I hear it's a very good movie though, and it certainly looks to be more accurate than other bookmovies.

I'm still pissed at the United States of Dumbass for changing the name of the book. Was Northern Lights really that complicated, folks? And it's not even a pissing compass, dolts.

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Harle-Quin View Post
    I'm still pissed at the United States of Dumbass for changing the name of the book.
    Yes. The United States Government intervened and demanded that the book's name be changed. :rolleyes2

I heard this movie was a complete flop. I bet their pissed they have to do another two.

It looks kinda rubbish, I ain't interested.
    EOFF needs a resurgence to it's former glory.