Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Uk Meetup 2008. ROUND TWO!

FFXIV Character

Linkle Grey (Sargatanas)

Like I couldnt just forge it, god.

Seriously though, these rules are humorous.

C'mon C'mon

I'd like to go, but I wouldn't be able to get parental permission, or even bother trying, so I'll pass. :p

Steve Steve Steve Steve Iceglow's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The rules are in place especially the Parental permissions one for the safety of all involved, the worst case scenario being some overzealous mother or father presses charges against the organising group, remember some of us veterans are now in our early - mid twenties it won't look good if we're seen to be sharing hotel rooms with 15 year old kids without their parents knowing. Especially if in the case of Zeldy they're female and we're male (what would Zeldy's mom think if she heard her daughter had slept in the same room as a 22 year old guy without her consent? We wouldn't be given a chance to explain it was innocent if you're below legal "adult" age we'd be in the wrong), we could easily be accused of being misleading or abusing a position of power as responsible adults. I also seem to recall that the hotel indeed do request parental consent for those under 18 to visit the hotel unattended by a parent or guardian (note legal guardians consist of adult family members or care workers only). I know the parental permission rule is an ass, but if you look at previous meetups it has never been a problem for people. Themagicroundabout came to the first meetup I went to and Curtis then was 14, his parents dropped him off with a signed form to agree to his prescence, it's purely to absolve us of legal liability.

There is in fact 5 rules listed there, the sub points are merely more detailed information regarding the rules. So don't think we're trying to take the fun away the shortest version of them is:

don't be an asshole by starting problems
    don't be an ass by trying to convince us to supply illegal substances to you
    don't be disappointed by not having the ability to stay at the hotel because you did not gather the right permission.
    don't book a room if you aren't certain you're comming because it's a pain in our asses and we'll think you seriously suck for driving the cost of the bills up.

If you're visiting for the day then parental permission may only be needed if you're under 16 but I'm not 100% sure on that, I believe the original age limit for parental consent was introduced for legal reasons.

If you can't make it to Birmingham, don't worry we've been discussing a different locations since for some of us it'll be very "samey same" if we go there AGAIN.

As usual I'll point out my first paragraph on that long post, nothing has been designed yet merely brief convo's held with certain people who usually help organise the event or would need huge amounts of preparation time to get there (like hero)

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

Yeah, I won't even be with my parents when down in Wigan. And there's not too much chance of me getting to Birmingham either. Ah well. xD Maybe another time. Or if it's NOT Birmingham, then maybe I might have a chance.

But, if I were to go, it'd just be a day trip thing, methinks. =]

Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Yeah, there aren't that many rules, the amount of text just makes it seem like that.

Is this going to be in Birmingham again or is a location undecided?

Blog Entries

It's possible that there meetup will be Birmingham if we cannot decide on another city that provides the transport links we're looking for. However, we'll consider other locations but be warned, Although Oxford is probably the most central place in England when we're talking for the entire UK Birmingham is pretty much the most universally central place.

Theres a lot of consideration that has to go in to making the uk meetup because in our country, political correctness has gone wrong and also people are terrified that the person who speaks to their darling brats could be a paedophile. Hence the rules, Rule 1 about no fighting is just because I aint going to be looking to split fights up as an organizer I'd just say "get the smurf outta here"

Please also note though I jokingly refer to the Easter weekend meetup as the "official" uk meetup it's not officially affiliated to Eyes on Final Fantasy, Warren W and Micheal M have no control or responsibility for this meetup neither do any of the staff members who may be present (hero, Psychotic) It's become a symbolic meetup however often considered as the "official one" but if you don't like it's rules, can't make it's location then there is NOTHING stopping you from making your own meetup locally, some of us with more financial freedom may even put an appearance in if possible I'm not going to hijack this thread however as the "official uk meetup 2008 thread" the posts referring to it are however just a reminder that there are rules in place and to tell you we're not past stage one of the planning.

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

lol, school trip

Ghost of Christmas' past Recognized Member theundeadhero's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Villania Valski (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

Iceglow, as long as it's Easter weekend like normal I have no problem going. I just need to know a week ahead of time. Other then that put me down for however many hotel days. If it's not in Birmingham, well, then that's just means I ride the train longer from Birmingham Airport (unless there's a closer airport!) and may have to switch a station or two. No problem for me. I do it all the time in Germany and you guys have the advantage of speaking english.

This is England
    Papa Waigo
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Site Staff

I'll be going to this.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Baloki Kyuu (Sargatanas)
    Contributions

*insert generic insult here*

Am I supposed to go to this or something? Write back asap please,

~Baloki

Edit: I need to sign a permission slip? WTF!?!??!??
    FOA

Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

If I pass my driving test it's not really an issue to me where the meetup is. The issue will be money, date and whether I'll be in the country or not.

I don't understand why any of these rules are a problem to people because they are pretty valid rules. Even though I could get parental permission for any of the previous meetups, I didn't go because I had problems travelling there and also because I was under 18 and couldn't drink .etc. I just made a decision to go to a meetup after I have a driving license and after I turned 18.

Quote Originally Posted by DK View Post
    I'll be going to this.
    I'm sold. We will pain the town Newky Brown!

Blog Entries

Loki ofcourse your smelly fur fag ass will be comming :P (you know you love me)

Hero, no problems I'll get my head together with jack and maybe mike this month on msn and we'll put it all in motion.

DK HELL YEAH if only an xbox 360 didn't weigh so much but we will probably have a ps2 unless someone wants to bring a Wii (notice, the tv's in the hotel we use in birmingham suck and you need an RF box on most of them to connect, I believe Mike has one and we got a ps2 working by component cable last year)

Jess, keep me posted as soon as you pass that driving liscence remember you're a short train ride from me, perhaps I'll come up to colchester/chelmsford and meet you, chip in on fuel costs

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Baloki Kyuu (Sargatanas)
    Contributions

I see what you did there you Sasquatch, I'm still not getting no permission slip signed though!
    FOA

Blog Entries

You need permission? You're the one that rule was made to protect the most...you'd be a complete target of any lawsuit involving indecency and minors :P

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Baloki Kyuu (Sargatanas)
    Contributions

Coming from Mister "I wanna rape Psy HARD"? Sureeeeeeeee, I wouldn't touch anyone under 18 anyways, not my bag, I prefer the over 90's personally

Edit: Also I'm only 17 according to most of the bouncers :/
    FOA