Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: I'm so terribly British!

I have a tiny bit of texan or (southern) accent on some of the words I speak. Most people don't realize I'm texan til I say them because now I'm gaining a rather annoying Wisconsin (North Eastern) accent.

And yeah the two don't combine very well.

Some people have thought I was from Germany, The Netherlands, Sweden and Norway. Not much of a surprise, though, since those languages are all close to Danish.. Also, the Danish accent when speaking English isn't really that recognizable.

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by Rye View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Shauna View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Miriel View Post
    I wish I had an accent. Californian doesn't count, cause it's like the default accent.
    You'd sound like you had an accent to anyone else who wasn't Californian American, if that makes you feel any better?
    No, Californians have the "American Accent." The one that doesn't have any regional accent, like my voice or someone from the South. It's pretty much pure, so it doesn't sound accented to anyone in America.
    Okay. I never truly got this entire thing about Californian accents, until now. xD You've all got accents to me, so either way - you'd sound like you had accents!

When people see me for the first time they think I am from another country.

I was walking down the hall at school and I heard "Whoa is that one of the German foreign exchange students?"

I wanted to say "Ja! Ich komme aus Deutschland!" or "Ja! Sieg heil!" or some other stupid thing in German.

Banned

i don't really think anyone from the midwest has an accent.

*permanently smitten*
    A Vey Good Friend
    Blog Entries

Grin

Quote Originally Posted by Miriel View Post
    I wish I had an accent. Californian doesn't count, cause it's like the default accent.

New Zealand accents put me in a trance. One of my TAs is from NZ and whenever he goes over class related stuff, I like zone out and then I snap out of it and it's like, oh crap, did I just miss the homework assignment? It's just such a pleasant accent. I bet fussy babies can listen to it and go right to sleep.
    Yes, that's why the child mortality rate is so high here, we just can't shut up.

People regularly ask me where I'm from, not just because of my lack/excess of an accent, but also because of my colouring/features in general. Common guesses include: Russian, Portugeuse (?), American, Canadian, Fijian and Malaysian. In conclusion, I should be a spy!

If im talking to people on holiday or when im out somewhere for the day they can generally tell im from Essex but i dont notice it myself until i hear other accents lol

If I was like Cloud I don't think I would have taken that test.
    Changed to stop Jessweeee♪ from going insane. Is that better?

Back of the net Recognized Member Heath's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Number of places I've been asked if I hail from based on my voice: Birkenhead, Manchester, Birmingham, North Wales, "somewhere in the North." None of these places seem to fit the bill for someone who has a supposedly posh voice like I do. Notice no one has ever said Liverpool, where I was born.
    Not my words Carol, the words of Top Gear magazine.

Yeah, some girl said I don't speak clearly and sound a bit aloof at times.
    EOFF needs a resurgence to it's former glory.

Who's scruffy lookin'? Captain Maxx Power's Avatar

I get confused with being a Geordie by people in the south all the time. I can see why they might make that mistake, but that still doesn't stop me from severely admonishing them regardless.
    There is no signature here. Move along.

FFXIV Character

Linkle Grey (Sargatanas)

People like to take the mick and say I sound like a scouser >:[ (someone from bloody LIVERPOOL). I am close to Liverpool and my accent is influenced by it, BUT IT IS AN INSULT; Oh my god, scousers have the worst accents ever, anyone in the UK will tell you that xD

Back of the net Recognized Member Heath's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Zeldy View Post
    People like to take the mick and say I sound like a scouser >:[ (someone from bloody LIVERPOOL). I am close to Liverpool and my accent is influenced by it, BUT IT IS AN INSULT; Oh my god, scousers have the worst accents ever, anyone in the UK will tell you that xD
    I won't.
    Not my words Carol, the words of Top Gear magazine.

Omg zeldy sounds like a scouser!

FFXIV Character

Linkle Grey (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Heath View Post
    I won't.
    have you heard a full on thick scouse accent? It's like a hamster on speed; high pitched and extremely fast. xD

Quote Originally Posted by Raebus View Post
    Omg zeldy sounds like a scouser!
    ! OMG, PIE EATER. Wiganers = PIE EATERS.

Has anyone else noticed that if you start talking in an Irish accent, and then revert to an American acent and then into a Southern American accent it sounds like your melting?
    Oh, did I mention I'm awesome?