Thread: Not As Advertised

oreodaredattoomotteyagaru Recognized Member JKTrix's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Site Staff

Default Not As Advertised

Partly out of curiousity (but mostly out of pure laziness) I decided last night to put anti-perspirant deodorant on before I went to bed. It's one of those 24 hour protection things, so I figured I wouldn' thave to do it in the morning and just roll out of bed, into some clothes and be out the door within 5 minutes of waking up. That was around midnight.

It's now noon, 12 hours later (my time). My pits, they are a-drippin'. 24 hour protection my foot.

What products or services have you experienced that weren't exactly as advertised?

Aside: I did bring 'back-up', since I was a little skeptical of the 24 hour claim. My issue will be addressed as soon as I hit Submit.

Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Maybe it only stops the smell for 24 hours even though you'll still perspire

Internet connections are never as advertised
    Problems playing downloaded videos? Try CCCP

Blog Entries

Life. they told me this was easy!

I would have to say some video games or movies. They say that they are really good and when u try them out they sux or wait another idea the Shampoo comercials the girls hair is so shiny and u try them out and it doesn't work

~Gamer 4 Life!!!! ^-^~

Fortune Teller Recognized Member Roogle's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Roose Dorvauldar (Gilgamesh)
    Contributions
    • Former Administator
    • Former Senior Site Staff

Well, I think you have to take into consideration that you are in a tropical climate, JKTrix. The deodorant manufacturer may have special products that cater solely to your needs.
    I believe in the power of humanity.

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

I think most things aren't exactly as they are advertised. That's why it's advertising!

Draw the Drapes Recognized Member rubah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

there are certain loopholes advertisers can get through, such as no calorie foods containing five or less calories per something something, and reduced fats being something something (we learned about this in 9th grade health class so it's not exactly on the top of my brain atm xD)

other things are more beneficial for consumers; 'compare to X brand' meaning that the product (usually a pill or medicine) is at least as good as a brand name. It still doesn't help the 'holy crap it's not name brand so it can't possibly be good enough' placebo effect.

I usually ignore advertising that people throw at me and just look at facts they provide and hope that those are not made up as well.

Just yesterday, I was sitting in on a majors-pitch put on by the chemical engineering department, and I started listening to the words that one of their students was putting through her mouth and I wondered if people would really talk that way if they were trying to convince someone, or if we've gotten to the point where we just mimick advertiser-jargon when we feel we must convince a group of some idea.

Fortune Teller Recognized Member Roogle's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Roose Dorvauldar (Gilgamesh)
    Contributions
    • Former Administator
    • Former Senior Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Rubah Lapah View Post
    other things are more beneficial for consumers; 'compare to X brand' meaning that the product (usually a pill or medicine) is at least as good as a brand name. It still doesn't help the 'holy crap it's not name brand so it can't possibly be good enough' placebo effect.
    Another way to avoid the negative effects of marketing is to become loyal to a certain brand or company that you have given you mostly positive experiences. This is the concept of brand loyalty. Generally, you will be less susceptible to fraudulence in advertising, in theory, because you have bought products from this company before and have become accustomed to their product and their advertising style.

In marketing, it is said that the goal of every company is to achieve customers who are loyal to the brand, so it is more of a marketing concept than a consumer concept.
    I believe in the power of humanity.

In my experience, antiperspirant should be called properspirant. It actually causes you to sweat more. Why? I don't know. How do they get away with advertising something when what it actually does is the complete opposite? No clue. Someone should call the BBB on that one.

I'm selling these fine leather jackets Aerith's Knight's Avatar
    Blog Entries

women in general

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Strawberry_Mew View Post
    I would have to say some video games or movies. They say that they are really good and when u try them out they sux or wait another idea the Shampoo comercials the girls hair is so shiny and u try them out and it doesn't work
    Did you remeber to repeat after you lather and rinse?
    Always repeat
    Kefka's coming, look intimidating!
    Have a nice day!!

I junctioned your GF ;) BardTard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Ceej View Post
    In my experience, antiperspirant should be called properspirant. It actually causes you to sweat more. Why? I don't know. How do they get away with advertising something when what it actually does is the complete opposite? No clue. Someone should call the BBB on that one.
    It makes me sweat more so I don't wear it. It's pointless. Not like I physically exert my lazy ass in any way that would make me sweat anyway!

Do Myself a Mischief Vermachtnis's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Ekhi Ysengrim (Brynhildr)

I don't have a problem with Deoderant. Maybe it's cause I keep forgetting to put it on most of the time ;p

Energy Drinks, especially Mad Bull. They didn't give me nearly enough energy, until it was time to go to bed. And I didn't get any Wingalings. I wanted to fly!

not you naan bread Sergeant Hartman's Avatar

Some vaseline cream proven to help dry skin.

Didn't work.

...you hot, salty nut! Recognized Member fire_of_avalon's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Aerith's Knight View Post
    women in general
    Women aren't advertised. Maybe you should get with better women before you generalize all of us.

Signature by rubah. I think.