Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: IX VS. VII and VIII

Of course not FF VII, but I'm not sure about VIII.

FF VII is one of the biggest selling games ever made.

However many fans of the game admit its because they though Sephiroth looks awesome.

Not saying all fans think that, but there are a huge number that do. Same thing with liking Squalls Gun Blade.

You never hear a fan saying they liked FF IX because Zidane's Daggers were cool.

Point being, FF VII has those kind of sales because a lot of people are superficial. And again, not all the fans are like this, but there are a good number of them.

Gold is the new black Goldenboko's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by NeoCracker View Post
    You never hear a fan saying they liked FF IX because Zidane's Daggers were cool.
    Zidane's daggers where cool

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboko View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NeoCracker View Post
    Zidane's daggers where cool
    No, the weapon he gets later is cool.

The daggers were just nifty.

Quote Originally Posted by Super Sepiroth View Post
    Was 9 any where near as popular as 7 or 8 though? I may be mis-informed but i think it didn't sell as many copies of either of them.
    Just because it didn't sell as much, doesn't mean it's a worse game than the other two.

Anyway, it's always been hard for me to pick a favourite out of the Final Fantasy games because they're all great in their own ways. But for some reason, I've always had a soft spot for Final Fantasy IX and its atmosphere.

Final Fantasy still sold over 5 million copies.

5 million people who have reached salvation.

"They said this day would never come. They said our sights were set too high. They said this country was too divided, too disillusioned to ever come around a common purpose. But on this January night, at this defining moment in history, you have done what the cynics said we couldn't do." - Barack Obama.
    clicky clicky clicky

Final Fantasy still sold over 5 million copies.

5 million people who have reached salvation.
    Yeah, but also at 1 point there were nearly as many copies of FFVII sold as there were Playstations sold so

and
    Just because it didn't sell as much, doesn't mean it's a worse game than the other two.
    Yeah i understand what you mean, but it means that more people liked them than 9

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I think what he's saying is that is a very crappy argument.

Majority rule, really means nothing. When I go over my friend's house, there are 6 of us, 4 like Halo 3, and 2 like Call of Duty 4. We play Halo 3 because of majority rule, that doesn't mean Call of Duty 4 isn't as good as Halo 3.

Mass opinion /= Actual fact.

Lots of people like the Bible. It doesnt mean its a good book.

I just had to get that one in.

"They said this day would never come. They said our sights were set too high. They said this country was too divided, too disillusioned to ever come around a common purpose. But on this January night, at this defining moment in history, you have done what the cynics said we couldn't do." - Barack Obama.
    clicky clicky clicky

And Vivisteiner, your points are duly noted. However, as sappy as the love between Squall and Rinoa was in FFVIII, the love story between Zidane and Garnet was IMMENSELY cornier. Okay, maybe that's an exaggeration, but I would still say it was cornier. That's what gets me about IX fans and self-proclaimed "old-schoolers", that everyone usually overlooks how IX prominently featured a love story, and it was at some times more unbearable than VIII's. The only difference is that it wasn't on the logo.
    The problem people have with the Squall-Rinoa relationship is because they fit together like Paine fits with Rikku and Yuna...that is to say, any real person of Squall’s disposition would have strangled Rinoa in the first disk.

He goes through the second disk slowly but surely chipping away his solitary resolve but even during the Garden Battle against Galbadia he demonstrated a distinct lack of focus - He might have grown to care more about Rinoa but he didn’t put that above everything else.

But then...WABAM!
    Disk 3 comes, she is in a coma and NOTHING else matters but him being with her.

Now Zidane and Garnet’s romance is much more smoothly integrated into the plot. Zidane plays the part of the flirty suitor and Garnet responds with a dignified distance. She isn’t outright harsh to his advances but she’s not receptive to them either.

However, as time goes by and each of the two develop, they grow closer and closer together. Zidane comes to realize Garnet is more than just a crush - she’s the woman of his dreams. Garnet comes to realize just because she’s destined to be Queen doesn’t mean she can’t rely on others.

Both Zidane and Garnet have to finish developing their own characters before their love story can reach its conclusion.

This fact is distincty lacking in FFVIII....Squall and Rinoa’s characters only evolve through the love story. Th elove story is not the peak of their progression...it’s the only way they do progress. You wind up with two characters who have distincty less personality than Zidane and Garnet who both perfected their progression before they truly “got together” if you will.

And your connection to the stages of grief/depression was very interesting, I give you points for that. But c'mon, for Zidane to be all cocky and defiant, then all of a sudden turn into Mr. Self-Loathing, even being mean to Vivi and Eiko, then all of a sudden being Mr. Upbeat again, it was all very unbelievable,
    He wasn’t cocky. He was pissed off and confused. Confusion and sadness often spawn anger...Garland was the person Zidane could dump all his rage on. He spend shis entire time in Bran Bai confused and angry, walking passed the other characters in a sort of daze. He finally gets the dreadful truth revealed to him and of course responds to it by getting pissed off.

But to add to all of it, the reason why he goes back to Mr. Positivity, is because he's reminded of his friends!!! Awww, isn't that special...
    Kinda like Cloud in the Lifestream? Kinda like the only thing that could keep Squall and the others together through time was love and togetherness?

Again, IX is one of my favorite games of all time, not just FF, but make no mistake, this is the Walt Disney installment of the franchise.
    Tell me, in what Walt Disney production did you see a war-torn city with a girl wandering around asking where her parents are? See a woman moving around, asking who is there because her eyes had been burned out? How about untold scores of people getting vaporized or eaten by eidolons?
    More people are killed in FFIX than any of the other FFs short of maybe FFVI.

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Vivisteiner View Post

It is a good book, at points. Loada rubbish, but still pretty funky at times.

^Probably thought it was rubbish because I got bored by the first few pages. I was tired of the repetition - 'And he saw that it was good', or w/e. I gave up soon after when they said that woman was made out of a rib.

I love that post F_L

clicky clicky clicky

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Harle-Quin View Post

It is a good book, at points. Loada rubbish, but still pretty funky at times.
    Its not a good book. Its the good book.

FFIX pwns all, end of.

lol

Quote Originally Posted by daggertrepe View Post
    FFIX pwns all, end of.
    Thats a given.

clicky clicky clicky

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

^Probably thought it was rubbish because I got bored by the first few pages. I was tired of the repetition - 'And he saw that it was good', or w/e. I gave up soon after when they said that woman was made out of a rib.
    Oh God, yes. The first bits suck ass and balls and allsorts. I hate them. Skip them.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboko View Post

Buh. Dum. Tsh. :rolleyes2