Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Math(s)

FFXIV Character

Linkle Grey (Sargatanas)

Default Math(s)

Do you like Maths? Were you/are you particularly good at Maths? Were there any bits that you enjoyed? were there some parts that made so stressed and work up over that you'd cry?

I have my non-Calc GCSE paper tomorrow, so I've spent the last few weeks revising and getting tutored by my friends (They're all 100%/A* pupils, which is a major advantage for me!). The one thing I like about Maths, is the feeling of utter ingeniousness when you feel that you've answered a difficult question correctly (though usually in my case, I'm no where near the answer) but you feel smart writing a long, complex mathematical formula as an answer.

The main things I've been trying to get my head around is Trigonometry(SOHCAHTOA~), Pythagoras theorem, Bearings, Circle Theorems, Loci, among many others things, most of which I haven't even been taught in lesson times.

Really, I should be taking the Intermediate paper, but as AQA have recently dropped that tier all those who would have done Intermediate are being put into Higher. So people like myself who are only okay at Maths, are being made to learn A* topics. It's totally backwards.

Fractions are the main HAET for me. I remember learning about them for the first time in primary school, and I just couldn't get my head around the topic and ended up bursting into tears. I've still never been confident with fractions.

tl;dr, WHAT DID YOU/DID YOU NOT LIKE ABOUT MATHS.

I hate math, it's useless in about half of all situations in real life, and yet they make it a requirement to get to such a high level for practically any degree in college when I won't need it. "Why yes you WILL need to solve for X and find the inverse tangent of the right side of a quantum circle as a History Major."
    This space intentionally left blank.

dizzy up the girl Recognized Member Rye's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Cid's Knight

Ahahaha. Oh Math.

Basically, Math, to me, is the one subject in High School that's kept me back from being a perfect A student, from getting a fantastic SAT score, and probably what kept me from getting into NYU. History, English, Biology, Art, Music come naturally to me... all of it, except Math.

And the thing that sucks is that I'm not even that bad at Math. I'm a B student in Math. But since I'm not naturally talented in it, I want no part in it. Can't wait to never have to take a math class again after freshman year of Uni.

Draw the Drapes Recognized Member rubah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Bahamut2000X View Post
    I hate math, it's useless in about half of all situations in real life, and yet they make it a requirement to get to such a high level for practically any degree in college when I won't need it. "Why yes you WILL need to solve for X and find the inverse tangent of the right side of a quantum circle as a History Major."
    arctan? high level of math? xDDDDDDDDDDDDD

The neat thing about math is that there's always so much more.

I love it. especially the crazy algebra. I'm looking forward to fun with linear algebra next semester. Look at this summary!
    Systems of linear equations, vector spaces, linear transformations, matrices, and determinants.

not you naan bread Sergeant Hartman's Avatar

I liked standard deviation, but only once I found out an easier method on the calculator. I do maths in college now and it's way beyond GSCE maths.

dizzy up the girl Recognized Member Rye's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Cid's Knight

I actually like matrices and determinants. We've been doing that in Pre-Calc, and it's probably my best unit this year.

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

I like maths. I'm pretty good at maths too, probably why I enjoy it. I don't like it enough that I'd take it any further than what I have, though.

Quote Originally Posted by rubah View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bahamut2000X View Post
    arctan? high level of math? xDDDDDDDDDDDDD
    I consider everything beyond the most basic of algebra, high level math in the fact that it's much too high level and complicated for any real world situation. I still laugh at my math professor when he tries to convince us that being able to solve for X in a 5th root radical is a skill we need to possess for day to day living. :rolleyes2
    This space intentionally left blank.

I dropped out of honors math after freshmen year Geometry because I despised geometry. I really regret that now since I wasn't allowed to take Calculus AB my senior year because I was in regular Pre-calc. Instead I had to take statistics, which is an awesome class, but its not exactly an intensive math class.

Now, in result, I have to take a math placement test in order to be placed in Calculus for college this august, yet I don't remember any of my precalc. I've been studying some of it recently to try and catch up, so hopefully it'll help.

In ending, I am not a huge fan of Math, but I understand its necessary for my majors (biology or biochem) and try my best at it. If I had known dropping out of honors math system would have screwed me over so much by my senior year, I would've tried harder and had signed up for Honors Algebra 2/trig my sophomore year. Oh well, its over now, and I just have to score decent enough on my Placement test to be placed into calculus.

On the plus side, my roommate is a school friend who is 3rdish in the class and probably the best math student in my graduating class, so that'll help.

FFXIV Character

Linkle Grey (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Shauna View Post
    I like maths. I'm pretty good at maths too, probably why I enjoy it. I don't like it enough that I'd take it any further than what I have, though.
    Did you take it into college? or your equivalent to college? As soon as my GCSEs are over, I can rip up my Maths books and never even look at the subject again, as there is no way on earth I am taking it for college I love my English and my Sociology, I don't need to take Maths. One of my friends, whose already doing compulsory Maths and opted to do Statistics on top of that for GCSE, is taking Maths and Further Maths at college xD

I really liked maths up until the age of thirteen or so, when a couple of bad teachers really killed my interest in the subject. My grades were fine, but I had no desire to pursue the subject beyond the point where it was compulsory. I kind of wish I could get back into a mindset where I could enjoy that sort of problem-solving, but as it stands I think most mathematicians are crazy.
    "The most important and recognize player in the history of the country."

Sometimes I wonder what my life would be like if I were as great as Paulo Wanchope.

Im awesome at maths compared to people in my school. But thats only because they're crap. Doin my A-level. (a year early)

"They said this day would never come. They said our sights were set too high. They said this country was too divided, too disillusioned to ever come around a common purpose. But on this January night, at this defining moment in history, you have done what the cynics said we couldn't do." - Barack Obama.
    clicky clicky clicky

Don't get mad, get moist I Don't Need A Name's Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Howie Kipps (Sargatanas)

Im with Matt on this one. maths is cool, and college maths is cooler
    however, Descrete Maths is a waste of time. gimmie some fun algebra questions anyday!
    I made one myself for a change! Although you can probably tell that..

Very VIP person Tech Admin Rantz's Avatar
    Articles

I fully agree with Cz. Mattias Jonsson ruined mathematics for me.

I consider a lot of the time becoming a math teacher. I just love those crazy numbers.

"Letters VS Numbers! Knife fight tonight!"
    Lucky, lucky, lucky, lucky me again! I hardly knew I should use me feet again!

What do you have to say for yourself?