Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This game is really smurfing good.

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default This game is really smurfing good.

I got rid of my PS2 a while ago, so obviously haven't played this game for a while. However, that doesn't changed the fact that this game is really smurfing good.

Though I know loads of people hate the Gambit and License Grid system (because they're BOIKS), I found both these things fantastic. It meant that I could use the characters that I liked, rather than the characters I had to use for practicality's sake. The Gambit system was totally rad, and it was great fun trying to make a system that worked for everything, as well as changing it to suit the particular environment. One of the main bitches arguments against Gambits is that you just set up the perfect and leave the game to itself. Job done. Game completed. For me, this wasn't the case. I found myself repeatedly changing my list, and doing massive great make-overs every time I got a new...bar...row...whatever.

The storyline was bitching, if a little short and underdeveloped. However, this was completely countered by the OMFG background information you could get. You could practically live in Ivalice if you killed enough things.

Having said all that, I found the characters somewhat underdeveloped too, but this happened with all the FFs I've played. But, whereas other FFs leave one or two characters a bit vague, this game left pretty much all of them empty if I remember correctly. Also, I agree with everyone who says that the Espers were totally lame. If they were half as good as they were to catch the bastard things, I'd be happy. But no.

I disagree with people who say the Quickenings sucked. The Quickenings were difficult to even become OKish at, which is probably why most people hate them. However, it's well worth failing a handful of times, doing some 400 damage or something, just to see the occasional barrage of luck that causes you to deal four hundred bajillion damage.

Anyway, there's no real point to this thread. I miss my PS2 and I miss this game, so I thought I'd reminisce some. Maybe you could discuss you favourite and least favourite bits? I dunno. Go wild. It can be your general love or hate, or it can be a particular part of the game you love or hate, or an event, dialogue, whatever.

On the dialogue subject: "blah blah blah, like proper kidnappers" has always remained in my mind. I dunno why. Just makes me laugh. It's such an adorable voice. If I had a talking rabbit, Fran is what it would sound like. EDIT: Just realised who she reminds me of: the hedgehog from Beatrix Potter's books/videos.
    Last edited by Quindiana Jones; 12-01-2008 at 12:10 AM.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

WOO

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

XII is one of my top FFs, it really restored my faith in the franchise and it saddens me that XIII looks to be taking it back down the path I don't like. I just wish that more fans would have appreciated it cause then the series could have moved forward.

It really set a benchmark for world design. I also loved its more daring storytelling and character development. I really felt the series grew up with this one and finally moved past the generic anime/rpg soup that other titles had brought us. Sure its far from perfect but I still feel that its strengths easily outweigh its weaknesses and finally built a game that lived up to FF's WOW factor.
    Last edited by Wolf Kanno; 01-26-2009 at 07:22 PM. Reason: Correcting my myself...

I really like FFXII, I may play it a second time before the end of the year.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

The hunts are really my fav. part of this game, and the variety of weapon choices. I feel like each play through is refreshing. FFXII is different in that it can be extraordinarily linear like all the rest, or it can be different each time. It depends on how you want to play it. I won't lie, I love the other final fantasies for what they are but this one was just so innovative and fresh. I really just want to go play it again right now loll.
    "geroeen, pulsa nyet, tolska tanee pre chem"
    "Beauty is a perception tainted by ego;
    Love is an extension of great emotion;
    Fear is the result of uncertainty;
    Sadness is a collection of misery."

I thought that FFXII was one of the most (if not THE most) developed game for the PS2, it had a book-nice story, visually beautiful (on IGN it was the ONLY PS2 game of their Top Ten games of 2007, the rest were PS3/360/Wii) and it felt more like an interactive movie than a game.

But in my honest opinion, I thought that the game's battle system seemed a bit dull and slow, and it really didnt have the best soundtrack, it just didnt capture the Epic-feel that past FF's have had. (If only Uematsu had done it, it would've been the perfect FF)

It's not one of my personal favourites, but it is a great game.

I think of it as the best FF game in the series. It had better gameplay than FF games in the past and I loved the fighting system.

I'm Captain Basch fon Rosenburg of Dalmasca!!

You know... I got all the way to the end of the game but stopped because I wanted to do the hunts.... perhaps I should do that...

i think this game is great. i had so much fun explorin all the different and wide areas and stuff! so much to do, so much to see, so many ppl to talk too!!

STILL Anti Balthier Setzer Gabianni's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KH-Cloudy View Post
    I'm Captain Basch fon Rosenburg of Dalmasca!!
    DUN BELIEVE ONDORES LIEZ!!11

Oh, and yeah, XII rules.

Quote Renmiri on FFXII
    I bitch about the game a lot, mainly for the lack of story and weak characters, but it is still the best of the series out there.
    She loves it more then X!

Articles

FFXIV Character

Novi Glitzko (Sargatanas)

Famitsu - 40/40

nuff said

Str8 Pimpin'

Blog Entries

I loved FFXII its one of my top two favorite titles in the series.
    The best thing about this game is the new battle system it actually makes since now enemys dont appear out of thin air and the animals dont randomly carrie ammounts of cash money on them you get pelts, teeth, ect. and u sell it at the bazzar, i think this is much more realistic. And this game has so much to do the side quests are numerous enough that it consumes half of the game play time fantastic game.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkswordofchaos View Post
    and u sell it at the bazzar, i think this is much more realistic.
    I can understand that but it didn't really bother me since I'm not looking for reality when playing games... hehe , maybe animals have their own shops where they spend their hard earned gil. I can totally see rogue tomatoes bargaining at the bazaar

I really loved this game. Actually, I feel like playing it again, so I might start it up next week.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."