Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Thoughts on Kimahri.

one thing I never understood is why they put ultima in his circle instead of lulus

One Hundred Chimneys Recognized Member Tavrobel's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Because it's behind level 4 locks, and Ultima is the best spell in the game, and because Kimahri's section occupies the geometric center of the Sphere Grid?

Kimahri was always a tough choice for me, I first tried to make him a second Auron, which seemed like the most logical thing, but then his lack of MP made Lancet somewhat hard. Then I tried having him be a Black Mage, which rought havoc on his physical power and defense.

Ultimately, these days I make him the Mage/Fighter Hybrid of the game, focusing on Auron's Grid for the overall, and occasionally on Lulu's for the MP and magical stats. I also like to give him a bit of Tidus's Grid for a bit to get some speed going, to make up for the constant Grid backtracking.

I found him quite useful in the non-standard sphere grid. The main point of which seems to be to mix and match jobs anyway, You can argue this isn't as good as the original specialization - and you'd be right, especially at high levels, but at least the game plays a bit differently.

In this scenario I often used Kimahri to pick up important abilities which you'd normally expect a character to have if they hadn't gone off on a diversionary route through the grid. Rather than not have them. Eg. Wakka has gone to get Haste and so delayed getting Sleep attack. Kimahri keeps on keeping on and gets it before you reach somewhere you really need it, like the mushroom rock road.

I liked the characters of Auron, Rikku, and Kimahri the most, so they were the characters I used the most. In the end, Kimahri ended up learning Yuna and Wakka's stuff(support type), Rikku learned Tidus and Lulu's stuff(quick mage type), and Auron learned, Tidus and Wakka(physical type).

It was an awesome team.
    On top of that, the game makes it so easy to level everyone, just have them all rotate in and perform a single action.

THE JACKEL
    add me, PSN: ljkkjlcm9

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

It's a chore trying to make him useful. Most people probably didn't try a lot on their first playthrough. I wanted him to be a jack of all trades and to do that you would need either teleport spheres or friends spheres. Both are hard to come by until way later in the game. It would've been just fine if they game him a bigger grid where he had no abilities, but a lot more of status increases. It would've also helped if he could have gotten his overdrive more often too for balance.

Story wise. There not much to him. He rarely speaks and I guess it's because his race is supposed to be barbaric. It would've been a lot cooler if he spoke just a tad bit more. He was one of the first to meet Yuna though.

Gobbledygook! Recognized Member Christmas's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

He is a nice little kitty that got bullied by the others. You just need to remove that loincloth to convince everyone his greatness.

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Barbed, it is, or so I hear.

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

I've noticed people tend to finish his center part of the sphere grid, and then choose 1 to 2 characters for him to follow the path of. But going too linear kind of just makes him the second best version of someone else.

I'm taking a different route on my current playthrough and embracing the randomness of his blue mage-ish qualities.

I'm using a guide which goes down a "jack of all trades" route. You have the opportunity to unlock abilities earlier than you would have them normally. Once you have lvl 1 lock spheres, you can get access to Steal and Use before Rikku joins the party, than you can cut through to Yuna's grid and get Reflect and Dispel way before Yuna gets there. Make your way to Tidus' grid to get Haste, and then work backwords towards Auron's grid to get the various Breaks. Kimahri would never be the strongest character directly following someones path so it's beneficial to just give him an array of utilities.