Thread: the HERO must DIE.

Planescape: Torment?

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

Well I didn't read a post in this thread besides the first one, 'cause I didn't wanna be spoiled about a game I might have wanted to play, but Persona 3 and FFX are two of my favorite games and I was nearly in tears at the end of them S:

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

I agree that the moment is that much more powerful, but sometimes it just feels like an epic waste of time xD
    That being said, if the death was pulled off well enough then I won't care and will probably just be sitting in the corner crying

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Its pretty awesome when its well done and used sparingly. I noticed I tend to love games that have the more "not so happy ending" (SPOILER)Persona 3 just happened to do it the best cause that game did so much to build the relationships your characters have. The very last stretch of the title is just amazing.

Shadow of the Colossus was also seriously epic. Even titles tha just flirted with it tended to do it well with BoFV and CT.

Do Myself a Mischief Vermachtnis's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Ekhi Ysengrim (Brynhildr)

I've been finding a lot games to have bitter sweet endings lately. Sure it can get played out that beating the final boss and the team lives on happily ever after, but it can be nice. And then there's the first Ar Tonelico. Depending on how you play it you can have the bittersweet ending or a happily ever ending.

(SPOILER)If you end it at Phase 2, Lyner and Aurica/Misha do live on a happy life. However, Shurelia is put in an eternal coma type state and all song magic is sealed along with her and Mir.

However, if you play through Phase 3 and get the true ending you get one of the most happiest and satisfying endings I've seen in awhile. Not only is Shurelia saved from her coma, Misha is saved from her fate of singing Chronicle Key for the rest of her life in a small room. You also save Mir, who was the main antagonist for the entire game. And then Lyner and Aurica/Misha/Shurelia go off the live a happily ever after.

I just replayed Ace Combat Zero: the Belkan War. Don't know if anyone around here as ever played this game, but I really love the plottwists and the ending;

(SPOILER)At about 2/3rd through the game your trusty buddy and wingman Pixy goes off and defects to the enemy's side after some nuclear explosions went off. For the remaining missions he is replaced by PJ, your new wingman.

In the end, Pixy returns as your enemy and kills PJ. Ofcourse, this results in the inevitable; a one on one dogfight between you and your former friend.

And that's cool.

What was necessary about your journey and "epic struggle" if you're just going to go on with the usual bit after saving the world? Something massive has to change whether it's the loss of some friends, a dramatic change to the environment which ain't necessarily for the better, loss of technology, loss of nature, loss of home, or loss of your own life. The journey itself feels empty without loss, as oxymoronic as that may sound.
    Jack: How do you know?

Will: It's more of a feeling really.

Jack: Well, that's not scientific. Feeling isn't knowing. Feeling is believing. If you believe it, you can't know because there's no knowing what you believe. Then again, no one should believe what they know either. Once you know anything that anything becomes unbelievable if only by virtue of the fact you now... know it. You know?

Will: No.

If Demolition Man were remade today

Huxley: What's wrong? You broke contact.
    Spartan: Contact? I didn't even touch you.
    Huxley: Don't you want to make love?
    Spartan: Is that what you call this? Why don't we just do it the old-fashioned way?
    Huxley: NO!
    Spartan: Whoa! Okay, calm down.
    Huxley: Don't tell me to calm down!
    Spartan: What's gotten into you? 'Cause it sure as hell wasn't me.
    Huxley: Physical relations in the way of intercourse are no longer acceptable John Spartan.
    Spartan: What? Why the hell not?
    Huxley: It's the law, John. And for your information, the very idea that you suggested it makes me feel personally violated.
    Spartan: Wait a minute... violated? Huxley what the hell are you accusing me of here?
    Huxley: You need to leave, John.
    Spartan: But Huxley.
    Huxley: Get out!
    Moments later Spartan is arrested for "violating" Huxley.

By the way, that's called satire. Get over it.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    Its pretty awesome when its well done and used sparingly. I noticed I tend to love games that have the more "not so happy ending" (SPOILER)Persona 3 just happened to do it the best cause that game did so much to build the relationships your characters have. The very last stretch of the title is just amazing.
    If only the social links worked like they did in P4, then it would be even more moving S:

Quote Originally Posted by I'm my own MILF View Post
    Shadow of the Colossus.
    I had a touching moment (SPOILER)when Agro fell.

[leeza]That was not nice. ~ Leeza[/leeza]
    "Guchi-guchi" said the little baby, and his mom mistakingly bought him an expensive bag

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

(SPOILER)Agro falls? What the hell? Damn you.

[leeza]That also was not nice. ~ Leeza[/leeza]

MARK YOUR SPOILERS DICKHEADS
    Don't delay, add The Pimp today! Don't delay, add The Pimp today!
    Fool’s Gold tlsfflast.fm (warning: album artwork may sometimes be nsfw)

This thread should have *SPOILERS* in it's title.
    "Guchi-guchi" said the little baby, and his mom mistakingly bought him an expensive bag

Nerfed in Continuum Shift Recognized Member Zeromus_X's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

You should have the common courtesy to mark spoilers without a spoiler warning in the title telling you to. Especially, when, you know, everyone else in the thread is doing so. =/

(SPOILER)Persona 3's ending was very surprising. It didn't make me sad, but it was quite emotional. I didn't really see it coming and I had to check online before I fully understood what had happened.

What I meant was that the title of this thread is "The HERO must DIE", so obviously when you mention a game, it's understood that the hero dies. I'm not the only one who should have spoiler tags. Besides, I didn't technically mention the hero.