Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Naming Your Characters

Default Naming Your Characters

It's so hard! Well if you're unoriginal like myself.

How do you think of names for your characters, particularly MMORPGs? For the sake of this discussion, there are no default names.

I randomly hit a letter on the keyboard.

Then I had a vowel.

Then I hit another random letter.

Then I add whatever I think looks good with the first three letters.

Sometimes I look around my room for something. I will soon have a gnome rogue named Calender.

I agonize about stuff like this. In a game like FFXI where I could play a single personal I just go with Yeargdribble. For WoW where I have to pick a race and a class, etc... I try to be clever. My Tauren (prot) Warrior is named Shieldburger. Partially because of Yeargdribble and partially because of not having a lower jaw my undead Priest is called Dribble. Otherwise I try to come up with a variation on some obscure piece of mythology (usually Norse) to come up with something that is vaguely related so that I can feel cool and 1/1,000,000 people might say, "I wonder if he means like _____ from ____ mythology."

If I can't be originally I hit the randomize button a lot and try to come up with something or just make something that sounds cool in my head.

I lack the originality. I would almost name my FF I characters stuff like FGTR, BMAG, WMAG, THIF... When playing the original FF III on emulator I named my dudes Onion1, Onion2, Onion3... well... you get the point.

Articles
    Blog Entries

It must sound smooth, sexy, and awesome.

When I played WoW I had a Paladin called Elixe. (eeh-leeks)

It was brilliant. Elixe. It was a shuffling of the 'X' and 'L' in 'Exile.'

Fragaria addict Recognized Member Momiji's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

As I mentioned in this thread, I generally name my characters after characters I like from other video games or whatnot-- that is, if my usual screen name 'Momijitsuki' isn't taken.

WELL, let's see~

When I played Guild Wars, I named my assassin X Sorpia X, I meant to name her X Scorpia X, but I apparently mistyped. I'm a scorpio~

My Troll rogue on WoW is named Alizat, I sat there for a while thinking of names, then I figured I'd do something that sounded trollish.
    FFA is one of my favorite games, and I always named the GIRL character Ali. Ali+ZAT = troll.

My mage's name is Ashe, because that's been my nickname for a few years now.

I had a hunter named Odellia because it means gold.

I have a NE rogue named Avaricious. (Greedy)
    I have a human Mage named Glaciate. (To Freeze)
    I have a Death Knight named Kuolettava (according to dictionary.com it means death in finnish or something)

My low level alts on my main characters server are all named in forms of Alizat. Lizata (BE hunter), Tazila (Troll shaman), Atzlia (BE Priest).

If it's a class that has a specific role or obvious meaning, I'll go to dictionary.com and look it up, I'll either find synonyms or I'll go to the translate section of the site and find translations of the words for a name.

Back of the net Recognized Member Heath's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

In Ragnarok Online, when I played that, my first character was called Heath which was a nice Wizard. Then I would use Welsh names because they often sound quite fantasy-ish anyway and they're almost certain not to be taken. I had a Knight called Talyessin, for example.
    Not my words Carol, the words of Top Gear magazine.

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quintonir. Always. Mainly because it sounds pretty groovy, but also because anyone who knows me will know it's me.

Do Myself a Mischief Vermachtnis's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Ekhi Ysengrim (Brynhildr)

Sometimes I be original and sometimes I pick characters from what I was just reading. Like for example, I'm playing Class of Heroes and I have Hayate, Nagi, Saku, Kaoru, Shiho, and Aoi running around the labyrinths killing everything.

Twisted Reality Shattered Dreamer's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I normally name the lead character after myself then random names I think of at the time

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Yaridovich View Post
    It's so hard!
    Oh! I bet.

Hank Hill.

don't u θink? i 罠 β wiθ u

It depends on the game and the characters. My FFIV guys are always their rightful names.... VI has such great characters with actual personalities so i can usually relate them to one of my friends.... I'm always edgar though. VII was all normal names except Red XIII being nanaki and Cait Sith being Reeve. I love 9 but for some reason hate the names so... Zidane=Locke Eiko=Rydia I think my Steiner was Cyan Amarant=Edge..
    I never like to make up my own names but i guess ive never really tried.
    The Dude Abides...

Nanerpuss n-n-nanerpuss Reeno the Alchemist's Avatar

I usually think of a word and then change it in a way that is yours... mmm for example "Random" I can change that to Randonzem >.> well that'a just me...
    Who needs a signature I DON'T >(

I have Dissidia, be jealous!

Quote Originally Posted by Nibelheim View Post
    Hank Hill.

I sell Propane and Propane accesories lol

I usually go with Masamunemaster, or even Mr. evilastic nowdays