Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Site Design
    • Forum Design

ichigo

Quote Originally Posted by Hyprophant
    After save Dagger, save your game. Use a Tent to recover your party. The first tough part of your quest is coming soon, so prepare your team.

Steiner: Must have ICE BRAND, MYTHRIL GLOVE and POWER BELT Equipped and enable Steiner MP COSTING ATTACK and MAN EATER. Place Steiner in front row.

Fryja: Must Equip Partisan + MYTHRIL HELM + Thunder Glove + MYTHRIL ARMOR and GOLD CHOKER. Enable Fryja with AUTO POTION, INSOMNIAC and Cover abilities. Place Fryja in back row.

Zedane: Must Equip THE OGRE, bandana and Reflect Ring if you have one. Enable Zedane with the ability MAN EATER and AUTO REFLECT if you have Reflect Ring in your inventory. Place Zedane in back row.

Vivi: Must Equip OAK STAFF, SURVIVAL VEST and CORAL RING. Place Vivi in back row.
    Impossible! I don't have them yet, and this is the first time they're mentioned. According to the same guide, I'll be finding and/or buying them in upcoming areas. Was I mistaken?

Anyway, I'm finished with Alexandria! For me, the first battle with Bandersnatch was the hardest (I was unlucky). The battle with Type C Mages wasn't as hard as it was lengthy, because I quickly silenced all of them. The third battle (Zidane and company versus two Bandersnatches) was lengthy, but easy. The last three battles were quick and very easy!

By the way, Hyprophant's guide advises players to sell Ethers for Gil, but I needed Ethers during the battles in Cleyra and Alexandria. I used what few I hadn't sold yet and, in Alexandria, resorted to using Elixirs to restore Vivi's MP. I used about sixty Potions and twenty Phoenix Downs, too!

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall Banana View Post
    The battle with Type C Mages wasn't as hard as it was lengthy, because I quickly silenced all of them.
    And because you picked up the Reflect Ring in Treno!

You'd better kick it up a notch, Croyles, or Lamonda is going to take the lead. ;D

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

I cant! Cause I have to work for a while.

Congrats on your progress so far Banana

Strawberry Virus Recognized Member Marshall Banana's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Site Design
    • Forum Design

ichigo

Thanks! I'm starting where Jeremy left off - on the Outer Continent (disc two)!

Chocograph
    Choco dug up the treasure at "Abandoned beach." That's it, though.

-

I skipped frog catching.

-

Black Mage Village
    I synthesized everything the guide told me to (Cachusha, Extension, Madain's Ring, and Rune Tooth). I already had a Reflect Ring.

-

I de-equipped all of Quina's armor upon returning to Conde Petie.

-

Hilgigars on the Mountain Path
    Zidane equipped Rune Tooth and Power Belt, so he could also equip MP Attack, Man Eater, and Auto-Potion (he stood in the front row, by the way); Dagger and Eiko both were equipped with Lamia's Tiaras; and Vivi was equipped with Magician's Shoes, Magician's Robe, etc.

Out of Dagger and Eiko, Eiko got a turn first, so she used Float on my entire party. Dagger was killed right away, but, once she was revived, she used Tents on the boss until one of them worked, so the girls didn't have to continually cast Float. Zidane attacked, and Vivi used Bio.

-

I equipped Germinas Boots on Zidane again (Flee and Alert weren't mastered yet). Can't forget! Also, for the remainder of the disc, everyone stayed in the back row!

-

Iifa Tree
    Watch out for Stropers! They look like tree monsters with branches for tentacles, and they can wipe out the whole party with one attack (Sweep)! :kaocry2:

In preparation for Zombie status: Zidane equipped Mage Masher (for Flee), Ritual Hat, Adaman Vest, and Madain's Ring. Dagger still had Mythril Rod equipped (for Shell).

Getting Zombie status: after saving at a Moogle, I sent my party down the elevator. Below, Zidane ran around until he and company encountered a Dracozombie. Dagger used Shell on Zidane. Dracozombie burped on Zidane, and Zidane ran away. Somehow, everyone else was lost in the process. I saved again! No problems!

I almost forgot to equip Germinas Boots again!

I used the start and stop trick, so my party encountered only two battles while they walked to the bottom! I equipped Vivi with Spirit-raising armor before my party reached the moving platform.

-

Zombies
    Two characters other than Zidane used Elixirs on two of the three Zombies. Zidane offed Eiko. Dagger and Vivi were killed off in the process by Zombies. Zidane used an Elixir on the last Zombie, ending the battle. I almost messed this up, though! Vivi almost survived! Everything happened so fast!

Dracozombie
    Zidane, Dagger, and Eiko were in charge of reviving fallen members. Vivi used Stop until it worked (took six tries). I wish I had purchased Magic Tags prior to visiting the Iifa Tree, because characters who are killed with Zombie Breath can't be revived with Phoenix Downs unless Magic Tags are given to them first.

Soulcage
    Elixir. Bye-bye!

-

After all that, Zidane was supposed to have mastered Auto-Potion, and he would have, if I had remembered to equip it before he fought Soulcage. He was six points away from mastering it, so I made Vivi Stop enemies on the Lucid Plains (mainly Goblin Mages) until Zidane mastered it. Didn't take long! Flee and Alert were mastered, too.

Auto-Potion has been available for a while, so the guide should have mentioned the necessity for mastering it with Zidane before my party reached the Outer Continent.

-

Amarant at Madain Sari
    I optimized Zidane's armor and equipped him with MP Attack, Man Eater, and Auto-Potion (must be mastered) abilities. Counter can cancel out Auto-Potion, so I didn't equip Counter.

-

I left Madain Sari with the default party (no Amarant).

-

Mistodons on the Iifa Tree
    Zidane equipped The Ogre, Adaman Vest, and Reflect Ring (for Auto-Reflect); Dagger and Eiko received the best armor for raising Magic Defense and equipped Auto-Potion; and Vivi equipped Glass Buckle and other Spirit-raising armor.

Everyone other than Vivi used Tents on the monsters or revived fallen members. Zidane used Soul Blade once or twice. Vivi used Stop. Pretty easy!

-

Disc three!

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Site Design
    • Forum Design

ichigo

=O

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Yeah your gonna finish it before me lol, but I dont mind

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I love threads like these. I still remember Necro's old thread actually. I tend to miss this stuff at the time it occurs just because I don't check the individual game forums everyday, but I'm glad I caught this one. I tried this challenge myself a few years back but remember getting side tracked by school and such shortly after Lindblum. I might go back and try it again someday because it was really fun.

Good luck with this guys.

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

These are awesome, guys. I think both Croyles' and MBs posts are really well written. It really makes me wanna get back on the game, challenge or no challenge. If only Eyes on FF Plays IX was in June or July.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Quin View Post
    If only Eyes on FF Plays IX was in June or July.
    Let's just have some "EoFF plays CHALLENGES" next!

I mean, there are a few actually challenging parts in the "EoFF plays" threads already, but most of the silver and gold "challenges" are only stuff that's in fact very easy but boring and time-consuming, like "leveling everyone up to 99", "get every card", "get every equipment", "get every materia" and so on.

An "EoFF plays" focused completely on different kinds of handicaps instead would be so much cooler.

Putting that aside... wow you're progressing at an incredibly fast rate Marshall Banana! =O

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Very VIP person Tech Admin Rantz's Avatar
    Articles

Let's see some game timers when you guys finish! Obviously it won't be a good measure of the time you spent on it, but anyway!

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Site Design
    • Forum Design

ichigo

Hippaul
    I hate him! The guide says to race Hippaul to level 60 for cards, and I mistook one of the prizes to be a Ribbon, but, it seems, the prize is actually a Ribbon CARD. I picked up Hippaul's cards in the bell tower instead. I hate this mini game!

-

Card Tournament in Treno
    I didn't send Vivi home. I'll visit Quan's Dwelling later (for Scorpio).

I bought the Coral Sword and Dark Matter. I sold all of my Phoenix Pinions, which paid for the Dark Matter.

I didn't fight Catoblepas or whatever it's called.

I won the card tournament for a Rebirth Ring, of course!

-

Mistodons in Alexandria
    I followed the guide almost exactly.

Battle one: Steiner was killed right away by Fira! Convenient! Beatrix used Shock. End!

Afterward, I used an Ether instead of Elixir on Beatrix to refill her MP. See? Don't sell your Ethers.

Battle two: Beatrix attacked twice. End!
    Battle three (Mistodon x2): Beatrix used Climhazzard twice. End!

I restored her HP and MP immediately after this battle!

Battle four: Beatrix used Shock.
    Battle five: Beatrix attacked twice.
    Battle six: Beatrix attacked once, used an Elixir, and attacked again.
    Battle seven (Mistodon x2): Beatrix used Climhazzard twice. End!

-

Now I'm digging up Chocographs and will begin powering up Thievery while I eat chocolate chip cookies!
    Last edited by Marshall Banana; 08-24-2009 at 10:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall Banana View Post
    Hippaul
    I hate him!
    I nearly spat the water I was drinking all over my monitor.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Site Design
    • Forum Design

ichigo

Hippaul = Fat Face