Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brütal Legend

Default Brütal Legend

Brütal Legend releases Roctober 13. Here are some screens that are pretty.

You play a band roadie who is transported during a stage accident into a world of metal.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

But confuting assumptions of a glorious metal utopia, your character discovers a world in turmoil: death metal demons oppress and enslave humanity; glam metal forces subvert and corrupt the populace.

The resistance, however, recognizes your character as an entity of prophecy, foretold to appear and save the metal world.

Or maybe destroy it. The translation is a little rough.

Jack Black plays Eddie Riggs. That's you.

Ozzy is your car mechanic.

As far as I can tell this is pretty much heavy metal Zelda. You travel an open world cleaving baddies with your axe, unleashing brütal magic attacks via your flying V guitar, or playing button-press guitar solos to uproot giant engine-block monoliths built by an ancient race of titans.

Eventually you lead a whole army of metal goons in your quest.

This mechanic extends to the multiplayer experience, in which players command and lead genre-themed, asymmetrical armies into combat in an effort to destroy the opposing player's stage. The multiplayer pulls more than a little inspiration from a cult PC gem called Sacrifice, by Shiny Entertainment.

"There's no jump button because jump is what ruined Van Halen." -Tim Schafer

This is the best game.

I am pretty excited. Are you?

(-o-)

-tie fighter

I have faith in Tim. Yes, I am excited.

VICIOUS GEEK SOOT~ヽ(`Д´)ノ scrumpleberry's Avatar

Ahahahaah what is this I hope it is fun ) It looks fun!

the ESRB rating blurb is lol as hell:

"This is an action adventure/role-playing game that tells the story of Eddie Riggs, a roadie who is transported to a mythical world of heavy metal rock. Eddie is armed with a guitar and a double-headed axe, which players can use to slash and dismember enemies. Players can also perform "face-melting solos" (literally melting enemies' faces), meet humanoid creatures dressed like dominatrixes and brandishing whips, and liberate an army of rockers from a life of oppression. Although the storyline is often irreverent and whimsical, the depictions of violence are somewhat intense: Undead humanoids are dismembered with an axe (sometimes in slow-motion); a "Steel-Quilled Blade" causes human enemies to explode into gibs that rain down; machine guns, missile launchers, and sub woofers can be used to kill druids and other fantastical creatures. Eddie can also run over dozens of enemies with his hot rod, resulting in blood effects and more heads and limbs getting chopped off. During the course of the game, characters sometimes engage in suggestive dialogue intended for comedic effect (e.g., "Maybe with all your feedback, you guys could just blow me over the gorge" and "Playtime's over. Now let's get back to the orgy"). Players will also encounter "Skull Rakers" clad in bondage gear and amazon-like warriors dressed in leather outfits that partially reveal buttocks and breasts. Strong profanity (e.g., "," "sh*t," and "d*ck") can be heard in the dialogue"

that is literally the rating text right there

(-o-)

-tie fighter

Fragaria addict Recognized Member Momiji's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

I'm a little more interested in this now than I was before. o_o

Zachie Chan Recognized Member Ouch!'s Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Swygwyrd Eryistyrmstn (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Hosted Screenname Competitions

I'm so absolutely stoked for this game.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

On the one hand its a game developed by Tim Schaffer who does really cool imaginative stuff and its about Metal Music. So its totally going to be brutal!

On the other hand it has Jack Black, who is retarded and ruins everything he touches...

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I was just thinking "Clearly Jack Black", and then read that it was him!

I think this game could be magnificent.

This game has a lot of potential, and looks really interesting and fun. Excited to see if it's actually any good.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    On the one hand its a game developed by Tim Schaffer who does really cool imaginative stuff and its about Metal Music. So its totally going to be brutal!

On the other hand it has Jack Black, who is retarded and ruins everything he touches...
    I consider every criticism of this game to be a personal affront to me and my family

EDIT in seriousness though it looks like Double Fine has corralled him effectively into the tone necessary for the role. He's over-talkative in the demo but the humor definitely hits more than it misses

"I will now teach you of ... French kissing"

(-o-)

-tie fighter

programmed by NASIR Recognized Member black orb's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Banner Design
    • Logo Design

>>> Looks good but is not my thing, well the old school heavy metal fans who are into videogames should be happy though..
    >> The black orb glitters ominously... but nothing happens..

Oh come now Kanno, what is more awesome then the combined musical stylings of Jack Black, Dio, and Meatloaf?

That said, I really should try the demo soon, I got it a week early for pre-ordering it, though I've yet to touch it, nor do I honestly know if the code even works yet, or when the demo is out.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I just happen to hate Jack Black is all. I think the game sounds pretty damn awesome just not thrilled with its starring VA. Dio and Meatloaf I do love

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

I am definitely interested in getting it. There are less original quirky games these days.

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Hehehe this game looks ace I think I will probably rent it