Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: More Final Fantasy characters need to die mid-game.

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default More Final Fantasy characters need to die mid-game.

Princess Sara. Who? Maria. What now? Refia. I'm sorry, but what are you talking about? Aerith. OMG I LOVE FF7.

There we go. It finally clicked.

Obviously naming 3 female characters from the first three games and then naming freaking Aerith is a bit unfair, but it got the point across. People like happy endings, but we love at least one devastatingly bad bit in a story. Or, at least, I do. That's why I like Lost Odyssey so much. That game is mostly sorrow. Sad is beautiful.

I would like to see more characters die. Just...like, randomly killing them for the fun of it would be lame though. But that's what good writers are for!

Discuss, I guess.

Yes, the series has been a bit soft on the main characters for the last few installments so it would be kinda nice to see that dynamic again... However I'd also like to see an unhappy ending in an FF sometime too.

Do Myself a Mischief Vermachtnis's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Ekhi Ysengrim (Brynhildr)

Princess Sara is an NPC and her part of the story was finished within fifteen minutes though. :P

But if they were gonna kill someone off it'd be better for it to be someone I don't use. In fact killing of someone I did use would annoy me and I don't want to play anymore. Which is probably why it doesn't happen to often. And I get to attached to my little characters.

I wouldn't mind if they killed off an NPC here and there though. And not just a few moments into the story that the character knew. But a character introduced at that point that we the player got to know and then killed off thirty or so hours later.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

I agree with Verma I would rather it be an NPC or a guest character like it usually is than a main character because if I end up using said character then I would be a bit upset.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

But NPC's rarely have the same impact. Brahne biting the big one in IX had less of an impact on me than Galuf dying in V.

Major characters biting the big one I feel has more of a major impact but I feel it would grow stale if it's done too often. I played so many RPGs where major characters bit the big one that Aerith never had the impact on me like it did for others (I was still reeling from CT's gutsy death scene).

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

I agree that a playable character should die again sometime soonish. It would also be neat to see people who are playable for a long time become unplayable while still alive for some reason - or even continue to be playable but be different. For example, someone could lose an arm or their sight or even their mind (which would be cool). Something like having the main player's love interest lose their mind to the point of amnesia, forgetting (and not willing to continue with) any romance would be tragic on a whole different level.

But still, death! C'mon!
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

There were so many main character smurf ups in 7, it was fantastic. It still is fantastic.

Sure, I'd be pissed if my favourite main character died or became useless, but if it was done properly it would make a magnificent twist in the story.

Some of my favorite games have big pcs turn into either npcs or killed off, but I don't think it's a necessity for a good game. Sure FFIV was awesome and it drove me crazy b/c every time I started liking someone they were killed, and in FF Tictacs and Suikoden 2 one of the main antagonists in each one was my favorite character who started as a pc. It doesnt mean there aren't plenty of titles that could be made w/o killing a big pc. Now that I think about it though, it seems like many FF titles have big characters die (or can die in the event theres a way to control whether they live or die), at least more than I realized before I thought about it o.o

Here would be a nice twist: Have the actual main character die in one. Vaan anyone?

or Tidus anyone? :o

That would be new for a FF midstory but if youve played many Fire Emblems its nothing too unexpected (from what Ive heard of the, havent played them much myself).

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Murdering Tidus over and over

Edit by Kishi: Changed to a link with respect to hemophobes and people who don't enjoy seeing, like, exposed brain matter and so forth.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Quote Originally Posted by FFIX Choco Boy View Post
    Here would be a nice twist: Have the actual main character die in one. Vaan anyone?
    Well XII sorta did this. If you hadn´t read manual or get any information about the game, you might have thought Reks to be main character and then he just gets killed very early.

Also after playing second time XII Vaan doesn´t seem so awful anymore.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Chrono Trigger already did the "kill the main character part way through the story" and though the plot strongly encourages you to bring him back its still only optional.

We've had quite a few main characters die in the FF stories though most wait until the end to do it so I guess this would be a little different.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    Chrono Trigger already did the "kill the main character part way through the story" and though the plot strongly encourages you to bring him back its still only optional.
    The egg is easily one of the most suspenseful moments in RPG history.

IDK man. I'm not sure what kind of role FF has to play in the High Definition age, i'm not sure what we can expect from the newest entries and going forth, I don't know if they can pull off the same kinds of feelings and emotions they once did. Square Enix needs to completely reorganize as an entity before this sort of thing can start happening.

FFXIV Character

Laurelin Kementari (Sargatanas)

Meh, I think it would only turn out to be sappy, just like Aeris when I first saw it (granted, I first saw it in 2006 and was spoiled by then) and have no impact. Even Chrono kicking the bucket did little to me since he could come back anyway and had no personality.

The only time I actually became quiet by a death in FF was Aria in FF III and Galuf in FF V. Nothing will ever be able to top Galuf's going. Epicness in phyical form right there.