Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Nintendo DS

Default The Nintendo DS

So I've had my DS for over a year and I have to admit, I can't live without the smurfer. Do you own a DS? Why'd you get it? Why do you play it? What games do you have?

I've got
    Dragon Quest IV
    Final Fantasy IV
    Pokemon Diamond, Pearl and Platinum
    Chrono Trigger

And recently I just ordered like 5 other games that I can't wait to play

Pheonix Wright Ace Attorney
    Castlevania Order of Ecclesia
    Final Fantasy III
    Knights in the Nightmare
    Front Mission

So yar share you views folks.

Get Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume. It's an easy tactics-style game, but it's really fun.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

My grandparents gave it to me as a middle school graduation present back when the bulky gray DSs were shiny and new :3

Games I own or have owned:
    Trace Memory
    Nintendogs
    The Sims 2
    Hotel Dusk
    FFIII
    Ace Attorney (entire series :</D!)
    The World Ends With You
    Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days
    Tetris DS

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

I HATE THE DS SO MUCH!!!!

...had to get that out of my system. What makes it so unbearable is that it has such a lineup of titles that I really like, forcing me to play it all the time.

- The D-Pad and Buttons are WAY too small. I can't play for more than an hour or two without pain in my hands due to fingers cramping up. For something like Mega Man it is a half hour tops, and even then I can't play close to as well as I can on an emulator with a proper game pad.

- The low batter indicator is terrible. Way up in the right hand corner it is completely out of the field of vission when playing. Is it too much to ask that something pop up on screen when the battery starts getting low? I don't know how many times it has crashed and I have lost everything I've been doing.

- The PSP goes into a hibernate mode when the battery becomes critical, saving your game until you can get it plugged in (in addition to warning you on screen when the battery gets low). Why couldn't Nintendo spring for something like this? It makes the console soooo much more usable.

- The touch pad is just a huge gimmick. I have yet to see a single use of the touch pad I have liked. Fortunately the games I do like don't make use of it, so it isn't a huge negative for me, just a useless feature that adds cost. Which is a shame, because I would exchange the DS's two screens for the PSP's one anyday.

Well, after getting that out of my system, I'll touch on some of the positives.

- Obviously the DS is well bellow the PSP in terms of graphics rendering ability, but that isn't something I really hold against it. I don't think it has hurt the ability to develop quality games for the console.

- As I mentioned up top, it has many games I like, including:
    Final Fantasy III & IV - both of which I think are amazing, and exactly what remakes should be.
    Mega Man ZX & ZXA - Though the story is incredibly stupid the game play is solid, certainly an improvement from the MMZ series.
    Castlevania DoS & OoE - DoS is a good metroidvania entry, while OoE did an excellent job of innovating while keeping the good.
    Sonic Rush - I was so pleased to find a Sonic title I could actually enjoy, since in my opinion Sega hasn't made a Sonic game worth playing since Sonic 3.

Quote Originally Posted by VeloZer0 View Post
    - The D-Pad and Buttons are WAY too small. I can't play for more than an hour or two without pain in my hands due to fingers cramping up. For something like Mega Man it is a half hour tops, and even then I can't play close to as well as I can on an emulator with a proper game pad.
    I agree that the D-Pad is too small, though it didn't bother me THAT much. I can still play something like Metroid Fusion on it without any problem, and I can even do that Shine Spark trick to get out after unlocking level 4 access doors.

- The low batter indicator is terrible. Way up in the right hand corner it is completely out of the field of vission when playing. Is it too much to ask that something pop up on screen when the battery starts getting low? I don't know how many times it has crashed and I have lost everything I've been doing.
    Hm, I've never had any difficulty noticing the low battery indicator. That's just me. Also, even when the batteries are low and that light turns red, the console still operates for a VERY long time. This has honestly never been a problem for me.

- The touch pad is just a huge gimmick. I have yet to see a single use of the touch pad I have liked. Fortunately the games I do like don't make use of it, so it isn't a huge negative for me, just a useless feature that adds cost. Which is a shame, because I would exchange the DS's two screens for the PSP's one anyday.
    Hm, I like the touch pad though. And I have to say that for games like Chocobo Tales, it can make things really fun and interesting.

I can't say I've ever had trouble with holding it and playing for hours on end. Often I have the opposite issue, where I play and forget how long it's been. Different stroke for different folks I guess.

Mine is an old phat DS so the battery indicator is a light at the bottom. I've played on a Lite though, and haven't had any issues with watching the battery light. The thing turns red quite some time before dying also, giving you plenty of time to save. Maybe work on your peripheral vision? If you can only play the thing for an hour or so before you hand hurts you could always just make sure to plug it in when not playing and able to.

- The PSP goes into a hibernate mode when the battery becomes critical, saving your game until you can get it plugged in (in addition to warning you on screen when the battery gets low). Why couldn't Nintendo spring for something like this? It makes the console soooo much more usable.
    Guess it's just something they didn't think was important. Again, I have never had my DS die while playing without giving me plenty of warning to save up.

You need to give Elite Beat Agents, Kirby Canvas Curse, Warioware Touched!!, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, and GTA: Chinatown Wars a shot. They all use the touchscreen in interesting and fun ways in my opinion.

I love my old original DS. Have had it since 2004 and it hasn't failed on me yet, despite dropping it enough times to finally break one of the hinges. I've probably logged more gaming hours on this thing than any console I've owned, except maybe my old SNES. I got it because it looked to have fun games on it, and it certainly has. I play it because of said fun games, and because I can play it wherever. I'm not one to take advantage of a portable system that much, aside from the fact that I can play while laying in bed or in another room. I actually own the following games:

Advance Wars: Dual Strike
    Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia
    Chrono Trigger
    Elite Beat Agents
    Etrian Odyssey II: Heroes of Lagaard
    Final Fantasy III
    Final Fantasy IV
    Henry Hatsworth in the Puzzling Adventure
    Mario Kart DS
    Mystery Dungeon: Shiren the Wanderer
    Ninjatown
    Picross DS
    Professor Layton and the Curious Village
    Space Invaders Extreme
    Tetris DS

It does everything I want a handheld system to, so I'm happy with it.
    Last edited by Rase; 02-16-2010 at 04:49 PM. Reason: Yeah remembering!
    Boy am I an unfunny ass.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

I bought it for new Fire Emblem games, new Dragon Quest game(s) and FFTA2. Then I wanted Ace Attorney.

Well I managed to get FFTA2. The same day my DS broke. I have a bunch of other games on it but I'm too distraught to look at my DS all broken and malfunctioning to check what games they are.

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

Final Fantasy III
    Final Fantasy IV
    Final Fantasy XII Revenant Wings
    Final Fantasy Tactics Advance II Grimoire of the Rift
    Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles Ring of Fates
    Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles Echoes of Time
    Final Fantasy Fables Chocobo's Dungeon
    It's a wonderful World!
    Chrono Trigger
    Pokémon Pearl
    Dragon Ball Origins

Why do I have a DS?

Because there are Final Fantasys for it and games I don't get for other consoles/handhelds. Plus, the DS is a cool handheld. I wish there would be an Ocarina of Time remake for it (remake for Wii would be better of course) and a remake of Final Fantasy V and VI.

I was given the original DS for my birthday, soon after it came out. Last year I realised it was pretty much smurfed up so I brought a nice light blue DSi in November, I love it.

The games I own are:
    Final Fantasy III
    Final Fantasy IV
    Final Fantasy XII Revenant Wings
    Final Fantasy A2 Grimoire of the Rift
    Final Fantasy Fables Chocobo Tales
    Children of Mana
    The World Ends With You
    The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass
    The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks
    New Super Mario Bros.
    MarioKart DS
    Super Mario DS
    Yoshi Touch & Go
    Pokemon Pearl
    Pokemon Diamond
    Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Blue Rescue Team
    Rhapsody a Musical Adventure
    The Sims 2
    The Urbz: Sims in the City
    MySims
    MySims Kingdom
    Nintendogs
    Lunar Genesis
    Bomberman
    Bomberman Story DS

Banned
    Blog Entries

Miles Edgeworth: Perfect prosecutor coming out soon makes me

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

You should look into repairing/replacing your DS Jiro, because the DS is region free so you can always import any game you want.

I have a dark blue original DS. I'm too lazy to list all the games I have for it, but they are fun to play

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I own a DS but have yet to keep any games. Every time I browse in the shop, I see nothing I want.

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

You should get Tetris DS Quin

I have the original DS (The grey one). I got it for Christmas one year with Mario Kart DS - Though I can't remember which year xD. I really want to get a new one though because the one I have is just too chunky and heavy >.< It hurts my poor wrists! So yeah, I will be getting a new one soon :P

The games I have are:
    Mario Kart DS
    Mario Party DS
    Super Mario DS
    Yoshi's island DS
    New Super mario bros
    Nintendogs
    Diddy Kong racing DS
    Bomberman
    Lunar Genesis
    Bust A Move DS
    Luminous Arc
    Magical Starsign
    Rhapsody a Musical Adventure
    Children of Mana
    Heroes Of Mana
    Final fantasy III
    Final fantasy XII revenant wings
    Final Fantasy A2 Grimoire of the Rift
    Final Fantasy Fables Chocobo Tales
    The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass
    The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks
    Kingdom hearts 358/2 Days
    Pokemon Pearl
    Pokemon Diamond
    Pokemon Platinum
    Pokemon mystery dungeon: Explorers of time
    Pokemon mystery dungeon: Blue rescue team
    Pokemon Ranger
    Pokemon Dash
    Pokemon Link
    The sims 2
    The sims 2 Castaway
    Mysims
    The Urbz: Sims in the city

Old school, like an old fool. Flying Mullet's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

I bought it for the Dragon Quest games that came out and are coming out for it and I own:
    Dragon Quest IV
    Dragon Quest V
    Final Fantasy III

And I plan to buy Dragon Quest VI when it comes out.
    Figaro Castle