Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

Dinner is served. Unbreakable Will's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

I know I'm extremely behind this games popularity but I got the Collectors Edition to this game about a week ago. LOVE IT.

Who still plays or has played it? Opinions? Favorite guild/mission/race/class?

Because I'm one hell of a butler.

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Mods are required if Oblivion is to be playable.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Played it to death. Probably won't ever play again. It was a very enjoyable experience though. Shivering Isles is a particular highlight. Sheogorath's appearance just didn't cut it for me though. He's supposed to be a Daedra Lord for goodness sake! Mehrunes Dagon was a many-limbed, ten-storey walking disaster. Sheogorath on the other hand: an Irish guy with a well trimmed beard.... Eh.

My favourite mission was 'Shadow over Hackdirt'. As a Lovecraft enthusiast this mission was a very pleasant surprise for me.

Oblivion could have used a lot more guilds too. I know how heated people can become when comparing Oblivion to Morrowind but I think if we're going to criticize it, it should be criticized in comparisson to it's predecessor, and Morrowind is the clear winner in regards to guilds. Four just wasn't enough for me, although from what I remember all four were well done. Particularly the Dark Brotherhood.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

It was a blast while it lasted. I liked just to wander off into the wilds and hunt things, living off their meat and stuff.

What I also liked to do was kill the countess, strip her, dress her in funny clothes, then use the Staff of Worms to parade her body alongside me in the streets. Why, yes, I am an asshole.

2007 February «

The above is require reading. Don't care if you've never played Oblivion or you don't like long internet things. So help me god you will read the entire smurfing thing and you'll be so pleased you did.

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I love you, Psy.

I freaking love Oblivion. Like...roll around naked in it love it. When I eventually get a decent PC that can handle games, Oblivion will be one of my first.

On the 360 there is not a single thing I haven't done.

Contributions
    • Contributions to EoFF Census project

A good game with some serious flaws and absolutely mystifying design choices. I can't help but feel like Morrowind is a more compelling package (though that game certainly has its flaws, too). As ambitious and as grand as Oblivion is, I find most of the gameplay elements really don't hold themselves together all that well.

Yes, I'm bitter.

Still, though, it's unique and for better or for worse you're not going to find an experience like Oblivion's anywhere else.
    Last edited by Flying Arrow; 03-17-2010 at 02:49 AM.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

I can dig it. It was a lot neater than Morrowind, but also at lot emptier I felt.

The real problem with Oblivion is that you couldn't kill quest important characters. Sometimes I really hated those jerks, and just wanted to kill them and then reload like I did countless times in Morrowind. But I couldn't!

Do Myself a Mischief Vermachtnis's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Ekhi Ysengrim (Brynhildr)

Me and my friend agree that the best quest in this game is the one where you create a murder mystery and convince everyone it someone else and they end up killing each other xD

Got obliterated Recognized Member Shoeberto's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I never enjoyed Oblivion quite as much as I did Fallout. Maybe some mods would change it for me, but it all just seemed too... repetitive, at times. This is after logging about 50 hours on a character, without coming anywhere close to even beating the main quest. I got really tired of dungeons where I had to meticulously prepare for even the most basic of encounters or risk being totally dominated.

Maybe someone can tell me if I'm doing it wrong. I don't even remember what my class was, now, but anymore I have almost no ambition to revisit Cyrodiil. On the other hand, I crave revisiting the DC Wasteland almost monthly. Someone should explain to me what I need to fix and then I'll start a new char!

The thieves guild made this game.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Vermachtnis View Post
    Me and my friend agree that the best quest in this game is the one where you create a murder mystery and convince everyone it someone else and they end up killing each other xD
    I absolutely agree xD
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoeberto View Post
    I never enjoyed Oblivion quite as much as I did Fallout. Maybe some mods would change it for me, but it all just seemed too... repetitive, at times. This is after logging about 50 hours on a character, without coming anywhere close to even beating the main quest. I got really tired of dungeons where I had to meticulously prepare for even the most basic of encounters or risk being totally dominated.

Maybe someone can tell me if I'm doing it wrong. I don't even remember what my class was, now, but anymore I have almost no ambition to revisit Cyrodiil. On the other hand, I crave revisiting the DC Wasteland almost monthly. Someone should explain to me what I need to fix and then I'll start a new char!
    You're doing it wrong. NEVER use the given classes, create your own, skill training and not power training is essential. Due to the fact that while you can gain a level, you might not have the necassary battle skills to back it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Necronopticous View Post
    And the Dark Brotherhood I love using the Gray Fox hood for the assassin quests. "Who killed that man?" *Whistles and walks away*

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

Quote Originally Posted by UnbreakableWill View Post
    You're doing it wrong. NEVER use the given classes, create your own, skill training and not power training is essential. Due to the fact that while you can gain a level, you might not have the necassary battle skills to back it up.
    I finished the game with a level two character, only because I needed to level up at some point for one part of the main quest. Since then I've sort of made it a rule that I level up every time I return to town (see usually I walk home too) and that keeps the difficulty nice and still allows me to gain max stat bonuses and whatnot.

Quote Originally Posted by UnbreakableWill View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Necronopticous View Post
    And the Dark Brotherhood I love using the Gray Fox hood for the assassin quests. "Who killed that man?" *Whistles and walks away*
    I'mma agree. Dark Brotherhood and Thieves Guild were fantastic. I second the murder mystery quest, but I have a soft spot for dropping the trophy head on Baelin or whoever. Delightfully devilish.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jiro View Post
    I'mma agree. Dark Brotherhood and Thieves Guild were fantastic. I second the murder mystery quest, but I have a soft spot for dropping the trophy head on Baelin or whoever. Delightfully devilish.
    I pretty much love all the assassin quests, except the one where you fake that guys death. No mercy... Unless you're Mo-Nercy of course.

EoFF's Laundry Goddess ~*~Celes~*~'s Avatar
    Blog Entries

I want this game SO BAD. I love Morrowind with all my heart (though can't play my PC version anymore, disc is scratched in just the right place so my disc drive can't read some of the install files :s) and hope to be able to play Morrowind again as well as purchase Oblivion soon. Most likely for my 360

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Shoeberto View Post

Ah man. Load up a game, make a character and save it before you exit the sewer. Then tell me everything about your character and I will adjust him to make him awesome for your preferences.