Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: GTA virgin looking for guidance

Got obliterated Recognized Member Shoeberto's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

IV's story took itself too seriously all the time. There was nary a lighthearted moment compared to the previous games, at least not in the main story. All of the characters, aside from maybe Brucie, were all serious all the time. I mean, the story itself was alright, but without some tongue-in-cheek spread throughout, most of the characters were entirely forgettable.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Yeah once you leave the first island of IV, all of the characters apart from Packie and Bernie are pretty much generic wastes of time.

Only thing you need to know about GTA is Saint's Row 2 is better. ;p

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

When I saw NeoCracker was the last poster I was expecting him to hate on GTA and I was going to quote him saying "Hello my name is NeoCracker and I hate every good game ever" but lo and behold he has said something beautiful. I judged you harshly.

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    When I saw NeoCracker was the last poster I was expecting him to hate on GTA and I was going to quote him saying "Hello my name is NeoCracker and I hate every good game ever" but lo and behold he has said something beautiful. I judged you harshly.
    I actually thought I was going to hate Saint's Row honestly, due to my dislike of GTA.

I will give GTA this though, as much as I didn't like it, I understand the appeal and can appriciate some of the lasting effects it has had on gaming.

i didn't start playing til 06 with san andreas, then vice city and gta3.... course i havent paid for any of them thou got them all from friends.

i love the soundtrack and story of vice city over san andreas and three didnt impress me much after playing vc and sa
    I like chocolate!! No matter what flavor you get, you can always taste the broken dreams!

~Dead people should stay dead, otherwise whats the point of killing them???

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

When you decide on one and start playing, I recommend printing out cheat codes! It's one of those rare games where it's a million times more fun when you cheat. Like The Sims. Few honestly enjoy doing the missions over just messing around and seeing just how much you can do.

I think I spent more time in GTA games blowing up with a tank or just driving like a maniac than doing missions or going KILL KILL KILL EVERYONE DIE (though I guess hundreds of NPCs do die when I'm in a tank).

Personally, my favorites are GTAIII and Vice City. I actually found myself doing a lot of missions on Vice City, which is something I never do xD

I'll probably start with GTA IV. From what I can discern TLAD and TBOGT are the only DLC and available for all platforms.

As I check out head to head comparisons around the internet it seems that the PS3 version comes out very slightly ahead of the 360. I'll probably grab it there unless anyone has a specific reason I shouldn't.

I'll likely get me a copy off of Amazon in the next hour or so.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

Have fun :</>D!

Articles
    Blog Entries

Mosg fans seem to hate GTA4 because it's not as cartoonish as the previous titles. For me that was why I liked it way more than the others. Nico Bellic seemed like an actual person even though he was just your stereotypical Eastern European criminal.
    This twenty-year-old boy was distinguished from childhood by strange qualities, a dreamer and an eccentric. A girl fell in love with him, and he went and sold her to a brothel...

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

cartoon????

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

3 is still my favourite, though certainly not the best. I also like the references to 3 that SA has. I could never really get into 4. I may buy it again some time, but it seemed to have lost the GTA factor that made the other games such classics.

Steve Steve Steve Steve Iceglow's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Depression Moon View Post
    cartoon????
    I wouldn't use the term cartoonish to describe GTA III/VC/SA but I certainly would use the term "arcade" in reference to the style. Cars didn't have any real sense of realistic handling, it was much more like Crazy Taxi than Gran Turismo. IV definitely lost that style and got a much more realistic sense of handling however the differences between the games are so vast that trying to compare GTA IV to GTA III is like comparing Final Fantasy Tactics Advance to Final Fantasy Tactics, both are great games but aside from name and a few ideas what transgress between the two games they're chalk and cheese on a technical scale.

Edit: To those who tried IV and disliked it but might give it another go, I do reccomend trying it again, it's a good game and solidly built. Once you let go of the previous titles such as VC/SA/III then you can find it infinitely more enjoyable than first thought. Though the lack of comedy in the storyline is still a killer. I also agree that Saints Row 2 is better and acknowledge fully that I need to buy that game, before Psy rants at me about it again.

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

I've played a few of them but not excessively because I find in the end I just get bored. However, one exception: GTA San Andreas? I got hooked in a big way. The fact that they had everything in it from the start says enough, really. No need for DLC when the initial game is good enough on it's own, and that means less money spending just to get to the stage that you can call it a great game.

All this and I barely even scratched half of the game's map, I suppose that just shows how immense that game was. I just... loved it.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!