Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Did you like FINAL FANTASY XII?

Default Did you like FINAL FANTASY XII?

what are are your thoughts on it?

I have mixed feelings about it. I thought the story had a lot of potential but came up way short. The pacing is this game was god awful, I don't think anyone can argue that point. The characters lacked personality. I didn't like how you can make any character anything. Basch as a white mage just seems strange. I prefer the set class system like in ff9. it gives the characters an identity. I felt that the license board was just a crappier version of the sphere grid. I thought the music was solid, but forgettable. graphics were absolutely amazing, no argument there. I didn't really like the battle system that much either. it wasn't strategic enough. Just set up your gambits and sit back. i think i went through the whole game with pretty much the same gambits. I thought FFX had the best battle system, I don't understand why they changed it. I thought the "open world" aspect of the game was overrated. There really never any freedom. just an illusion. I thought hunts were annoying. They made it way too time consuming. Half the time you are running from place to place trying to find a person, then trying to find the monster, then trying to find the person again, it just got tiresome. it would have been a lot better if they just gave a hunt option in the menu screen. I thought the game just lacked an "oomph" I never really got into the game. Even the moments that were supposed to be emotional just weren't to me (like the Bur-Osmice part). I admit that the tower part at the end of the game with Gabranth was good, but it was just too little too late for me.

overall rating: 6/10. I just that that the game lacked soul. it almost seemed apathetic.

thoughts?

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I absolutely loved it. One of my favourite FFs ever made. It has a handful of flaws, but overall it's a magnificent game.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

One of the best titles they've put out :</>D!

Not the best, far from the worst. Definitely superior to most of what Japan creates in the RPG area. Needed a Moogle party member for my pure amusement, though.

Default Not another one of those threads...

I thought the game was terrible.

My feelings have gotten even worse about it over time because of the mistreatment I received when I was a member of Gamefaqs.
    I was called names and my life was threatened over a mere videogame.
    So I quit Gamefaqs.

Needless to say that made me hate the game..although I have struggled to try to be more opened minded about it.

The graphics were very good for a PS2 game.

But Matsuno had a breakdown and quit before the game was finished.

The plot and character developement are very poor and not up to FF standards imo.

The game lacks cohesion and proper pacing as others have pointed out.

There's no bonding with the characters.I never felt any identification with them.

The randomness was excessive when it came to acquiring items and with the chests.

The magic system wasn't fully developed.

Vayne lacks as a bad guy.Certainly wasn't up there with Kefka, Sephiroth or Kuja for example..or even Seymour.

There were other flaws in the game but that's enough.

It still amazes me that FFXII's defenders were so rabid about the game as to..at least in one forum/website act so immorally and in such a beastly fashion over a mere videogame. Still makes me mad and it was some years ago.

You don't see the same level of defense for FFXIII and I find that perplexing.

oh well..

Still..I try to be tolerant of those who like the game although I don't understand why they like it.

I am a big fan of Tactics and I like Ivalice as a setting...I 've never gotten to play Vagrant story so I don't know how that feels.Maybe it's part of the Ivalice mystique that people like FFXII.
    Last edited by ANGRYWOLF; 05-08-2010 at 10:01 PM.

Blog Entries

I really didn't care for it. I loved the battle system, but I hated the characters (or character involvement, because I did like Fran, Balthier and Penelo). I loved the locations and the graphics, but I didn't care for the plot. I also found the villains lackluster.

I guess in the end it's a "meh" for me. It does have some qualities I do like. Like I said, I adored the battles -- I spent more time hunting marks than anything.

sly gypsy Recognized Member Levian's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Hosted the Ciddies

The only reason why I can't say I consider it the worst in the numbered FF series is because I haven't played FFII and FFIII yet. It's definitely the worst one I've played in the numbered series though. It's not a terrible game, but it's not up to the high standards of previous FF's.

It'll always be the black sheep of Final Fantasy to me. xD sorry!

Strawberry Virus Recognized Member Marshall Banana's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Site Design
    • Forum Design

ichigo

It's almost perfect, in my opinion, thanks to Balthier!

I love Final Fantasy XII. I'm too tired right now to rant about why, but for one, I've never understood why people say this game lacks a heart or soul...? I cried for Fran at Eruyt Village, was very saddened by the Mt Bur-Omisace scenario and I cried during the ending (not because it was sad, but the bittersweet triumph of it). There were many moments I felt touched by a character's moral dilemma or observations. I loved the growing friendship between Vaan, Penelo and Larsa. Perhaps I am just too soft. But it was the first FF game where I didn't make this face: ~_~ at some cheesy overdramatic declaration of affection. Yes, its heart was very understated and quiet, but its still there and I prefer it that way.

edit: I guess if you compare XII to a game like XIII where the character interaction is very much in the style of a passionate melodrama, I can understand why people think XII was dry or apathetic. I happen to enjoy passionate melodramas so I like the characters of XIII, but I also love XII's evasive and subtle way of handling emotions. It's more realistic and therefore, to me, the better.
    Last edited by Persephone Stephanie; 05-08-2010 at 07:49 AM.

Articles
    Blog Entries

IMO, it ain't too bad, but I just can't accept that this game is a Final Fantasy. And that's because of the battle system, it's just not Final Fantasy-ish.
    Also, I didn't really like the story, but at least there were lots of sidequests and things to discover.

I AM NOT A PRETTY BOY! Shin Gouken's Avatar

My favorite in the series.

I'm aware it has flaws, but this is true for all games. And perception can easily play a heavy role in what is classed as a flaw. For example, i liked that the characters weren't explored too deeply. You know exactly what you need to know. I always found games like FFVII to be suffocating with the depth of their characters. Constantly showing the characters react to every tiny advance they make, and forcing us through flash backs to further show how the characters have evolved, it drags down the pace to help the player build a connection with them. But not everyone will connect with all the characters. Usually in a FF game, i'll only like half of the playable characters which means half of the character depth is an annoyance i don't care for.

As for pace in FFXII, that is really up to how you play the game. If you're like me and spend hours in dungeons treasure hunting or chaining monsters, then yes, the pace suffers. But if you move through dungeons swiftly then no it doesn't.

But the favorite part for me is the control. If i want to create a party with specific roles, or divide abilities between characters evenly that's my choice. If i want to just control one character and let gambits handle the other two, or if i want to control all three characters, or let gambits do it all, that's my choice. If i want to take a break from the plot and hunt marks, go fishing, treasure hunt or whatever, then i can do that. I can play the game the way i want, customization ftw.

I disliked the quickening and esper systems, which were horribley executed, but everything else is perfect for me specifically. The music, the graphics, the plot, characters, battle system, everything was perfect

I liked XII very much. That is, until I played the International Zodiac version. I really liked that version better than the original because of the features that were added like pressing L1 to speed game up, playable Espers and Guest characters, and twelve different license boards(instead of the original one), each corresponding to a different Zodiac sign and job to name a few. I recommend this version to anyone that uses swap magic on their PS2. I didn't care for the story that much, but I loved the gameplay.

Vaan - "Hey, you!"
    Penelo - "Yeah, you! The one reading this sig at this very moment!"
    Vaan - "Interested in playing FFXII International Zodiac Job system?"
    Ashe - "But you have no knowledge of the Japanese language?"
    Fran - "....We could help...."
    Balthier - "That's right, Fran! Just click on Crossblades' thread on the very bottom of this signature and it will show you all license grid translations, magicks and tecks locations, and other changes that were made!"
    Basch - "Don't forget though. Swap Magic is needed to play this game if you don't own a japanese PS2."
    Vaan - "Also remember that if you played the original, you'll have an easier time playing the international version. We hope you enjoy the International Zodiac Job System experience. See ya then!"

http://forums.eyesonff.com/final-fan...ther-info.html

I love it! It is so fun to play and the characters weren't as annoying as the ones in X and VIII.
    ...It is because there is a limit to time that we wish for nights that never dawn.
    Eternity is just an empty illusion and is why feelings of being able to believe in one another are born...
    Remember that well.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Best combat out all the series. Well.. I can't make that judgment since I haven't played XIII, but it's the best out of the ones I've played.

Quote Originally Posted by Crossblades View Post
    I liked XII very much. That is, until I played the International Zodiac version. I really liked that version better than the original because of the features that were added like pressing L1 to speed game up, playable Espers and Guest characters, and twelve different license boards(instead of the original one), each corresponding to a different Zodiac sign and job to name a few. I recommend this version to anyone that uses swap magic on their PS2. I didn't care for the story that much, but I loved the gameplay.
    I use Swap Magic to play a US version of XII on my PAL PS2. Is there an English version of International Zodiac or is it Japanese only?