Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Whose your party?

I am redundant. My party for all these years I've played has been Zidane, Garnet, Eiko, and Vivi. Only recently did I look into Steiner. And Freya sometimes. Never really liked Amarant even if his skills were useful.

"Right and wrong are not what separate us and our enemies. It's our different standpoints, our perspectives that separate us. Both sides blame one another. There's no good or bad side. Just two sides holding different views."

Arylettopia (Update: 7/31) | LiveJournal | DeviantArt | Backloggery | Last.FM | Tumblr

I've mostly been enjoying Zidane, Dagger & Freya as characters, but so far they keep splitting up (Just finished up Fossil Roo and have touched down on the Outer Continent for the first time. Obviously haven't met Eiko and Amarant yet, so cannot comment, but Vivi is not really doing anything for me, Quina is just too out there, and Steiner's constant "Princess, princess!!!" is driving me nuts.

I hope Amarant is a half decent character. That would fill in my four. I'm not bothered about how the play in battle, I just tend to pick the ones with the most pleasing character design and then see how they come across in the dialogue.

Blog Entries

Every time I play the game, no matter how much I try to resist, I end up with Zidane, Vivi, Amarant, and Dagger. I think it's because I used that lineup to beat Ozma the first time.
    Zidane steals stuff and does pretty decent damage. Vivi casts powerful attack spells, which are always useful. Amarant throws things and does good damage, and can heal MP. Dagger is a healer AND summoner, which is great. And I like her summons a lot more than I like Eiko's. Even though Madeen does come in handy in a couple of later boss battles, I will always have a soft spot for Bahamut and Leviathan. I think I'll name my first child Bahamut.
    Face

ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็༼ ຈل͜ຈ༽ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้

Zidane, Steiner, Vivi, and Garnet in my current save, but I have previously used several variants, with the most effective combo I found being the very odd squad of Zidane, Amarant, Freya, and Quina.

PS. I've just noticed my posts have mostly been in old threads. Sorry if digging up old stuff is frowned upon.

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

It normally is, but you're in the dank, dark realm of the outer forums, where every thread is old and only the boldest and most foolish of moderators go...

Beware...

Beware...

Beware...

I have used all kinds of party combinations during my playthroughs, so there aren't any favourites, I like them all.

Last time I played, it was the traditional Knight, Thief, Black Mage, White Mage combo: Steiner, Zidane, Vivi and Garnet. And it was quite effective.

You just can't go wrong with party combinations in this game.

EDIT: I looked at Benji's post and the Zidane,Amarant,Freya,Quina party was pretty unbeatable when I played with them because of the White Wind, Angel Snack and strong 9999 attacks.

It depends on whether I feel adventurous. Zidane is a given, and Steiner is usually in the pack, for great punch! Besides those two, I favour Freya. I struggle to remember who I use as #4, but I probably use Dagger - for healing and status recovery. Amarant is otherwise a good candidate.

If I DO feel adventurous, all bets are off!
    This Apple-software (QuickTime) is not meant to be used for controlling nuclear powerplants, aircraft-navigation, communication-systems, air traffic control-systems or lifesupportive machines, where errors and shortcomings in the Apple-software may lead to deaths, injuries or serious property- or environmental damage.

Banned

In the few times I've played through FFIX, I've always had Zidane, Steiner, Vivi, and Amarant as my final party. Once getting things such as auto-regen and auto-life, curative magic becomes somewhat obsolete. These characters are the hard-hitters which makes the battles quicker as well. A good defense is a good offense. Ha, Steiner says it in the game. Quote WIN

I always use Zidane, Freya, Eiko and Steiner.

Freya for dragon crest, Eiko because I consider her a much better white mage than Garnet (Holy, Full Life, Phoenix) and Steiner because he is very strong and because of shock. I use Vivi a lot in the storyline but late in the game he's just not that strong anymore. Amarant is very decent too and Quina can be usefull because of frog drop and blue magic.
    FF's beat: FFI, FFVII, FFIX, FFX
    Favorite FF: FFIX
    Currently Playing: FFX-2

Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm currently putting some effort in to create a party consisting of Amarant, Vivi, Eiko and Steiner. The primary strategy is for Amarant's Curse to weaken an enemy to a certain element, Eiko's Carbuncle to cast Reflect on the party, Vivi's magic to reflect off the party and cause massive damage to the weakened enemy, and Steiner's Sword Magic to add extreme prejudice and brutality. The main problem is the rarity of chances to use such a party. Bloody Zidane...

Blog Entries

I replayed one of my old saves today and it would seem that the best party setup I had was Zidane, Garnet, Quina, Steiner. It was the only way I could beat the friendly Yan, with everyone around level 90.
    Try fighting the friendly Yan sometime. It has 65535 HP, and it has a defense/evade/mag. defense/mag. evade of 255 each. Not only does it counter every single attack whether it's physical or magic(provided you can even hit the thing) with the most powerful physical attack in the game, but it is also the only friendly monster that will spontaneously attack if you do not give it what it wants quickly enough - nor will it flee if you attack it. And even if you do somehow manage to kill it, you can encounter it again as many times as you want in order to complete the friendly monsters sidequest. Just save before you fight it. For the love of god, save.
    Face

ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็༼ ຈل͜ຈ༽ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้

Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

^ I think I'll try my new setup on that and see how it goes. Will take a while to get there though...

Zidane, Dagger, Steiner, Amarant
    -->Zidane for strength and stealing, Dagger for healing/summons, Steiner for straight up brute force, Amarant for CHAKRA

Sometimes I switch up Dagger for Eiko or Amarant for Freya (Dragon Crest yay), so it's not my 100% inflexibly favorite party...but I do so love it. <3

Fortune Teller Recognized Member Roogle's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Roose Dorvauldar (Gilgamesh)
    Contributions
    • Former Administator
    • Former Senior Site Staff

I never strayed too far from one of the first parties that the game presents you with: Zidane, Vivi, Garnet, and Steiner.
    I believe in the power of humanity.

Banned

Zidane, Vivi, Steiner, Amarant

Amarant pays off late game, when white mages become obsolete due to auto-(x).

I actually would've stayed with Garnet had she not lost her voice. After having trumped my party, I was like 'well smurf that' and Garnet stayed on the benches.