Page 148 of 528 FirstFirst ... 4898128138142143144145146147148149150151152153154158168198248 ... LastLast
Results 2,206 to 2,220 of 7907

Thread: Game of Thrones: House of the Dragon!

Very VIP person Tech Admin Rantz's Avatar
    Articles

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Adequate View Post
    Horror, the literary genre of storytelling, which GRRM is a grandmaster of, is all about the suspense and build-up, and the eery paranoia, the sense that something is off, was completely missed by the showrunners with this scene.
    Even knowing what was coming the last 10 minutes of that episode were some of the most suspensful, tense, and nail-biting television I've ever seen. I've rarely seen the sense that something is wrong escalated so expertly and I'm not even sure we were watching the same show.
    Have to agree. I'm a book reader and I was almost expecting to be disappointed, but I was very happy with how they handled it. On the edge of my seat the whole time.

It was such a scene. I'm fairly sure it will live on in TV history for a long time. Haunting and powerful.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Yeah I'm with Hux and Rantz. I knew it was coming but the whole scene was still tense as hell.

BTW, GRRM has put (and continues to put) huge amounts of input into the show so assuming that everything was done without his direction is wrong. He has written several of the episodes, including some of the ones that involve "new" characters, and I want to say he's a producer/executive producer or something as well.

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Didn't GRRM used to work in television?
    Last edited by Croyles; 06-04-2013 at 05:07 PM.

Zachie Chan Recognized Member Ouch!'s Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Swygwyrd Eryistyrmstn (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Hosted Screenname Competitions

Martin started his writing career in television on Beauty and the Beast.

Martin has only written three episodes (one each season), and while none of these episodes have featured show-only characters, the most recent one (The Bear and the Maiden Fair, S3E7) did feature events which never happened in the books (Melisandre revealing Gendry's parentage to him). Martin is, however, an executive producer and does oversee the story for the show.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Yeah, I was very pleased with the scene, but even more so with the events leading up to it. Show Catelyn is awesome, but that is mostly due to Michelle Fairley's great acting skills
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Formerly Important Lonely Paper Star's Avatar
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Saerin Vanagloria (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Chat Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Aulayna View Post
    From Catelyn telling Robb earlier on to show them how it feels, to the moment she realises something is amiss when the bedding ceremony begins. Her general unease throughout all of it coupled with Walder's shiftyness perfectly set the stage and built the tension and that something was off. Catelyn pretty much carried that entire scene.
    It also helps that the scene was set in her POV in ASOS. XD

I was initially afraid that they would lessen Cat's POV a lot in favor of Robb's or even Talisa's. I never minded some Robb depth (as he had very little in the books), but I was wary that they might put too much.

However, I'm overall satisfied with the execution of the scene. I could nitpick about a few lines and actions I wish had happened, but those are just personal preferences. They pulled it off well enough for viewers to freak out and remember it.

Starting on my left with one, your number comes up, you go.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    I'm interested to see if the guy who got up to go piss on a tree is still alive as I imagine he'll be the new leader, and also interested to see how the Stark army respond. I can see it being rather obvious how Arya responds, at the very least.
    Wasn't that the Blackfish? Mini book spoils I guess. (SPOILER)He wasn't even at the Red Wedding and I was like "wtf are you doing here brynden YOU BETTER NOT DIE" when I saw him. I started laughing my ass off when I saw how he dodged the bullet.

Also there is no more Stark army dude, they all got smurfing murdered/captured or they were Bolton men who, well... you saw what their Lord did. Did you not pay attention to the bits with The Hound?

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

I just saw someone refer to GRRM as Evil Santa and it's cracking me up.

Banished Ace Recognized Member Agent Proto's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Freya View Post
    I just saw someone refer to GRRM as Evil Santa and it's cracking me up.
    You know I once had a dream where GRRM was an Evil Santa.

Apparently, I have been declared banished.

Having read over the comments given above I can say that I, too, am pleased with the scene, regardless the fact that I haven't watched my self.

Which brings me to the following question: where can I watch it for free? Preferably w/out having to download some spam/ad heavy video viewer first, thank you.

On a final note, knowing that GRRM is supervising the show at least means that the show won't alter the story/content much from what if found in the books.

Book 5 spoilerand on a final final note, I've got a quick question for any one who has finished the 5th book: at the end, when Dany is found in the grasslands by that other band, I can't remember if the khal in charge of that band was original riding with khal Drogo's band when he died. Can any one clarify? just a piece I've been curious about

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Solarmovie has many links for every episode roughly 3.7 seconds after their official release.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

By the way, I disagree with people who say this show is about 'the bigger picture' and that events like the red wedding cause us to lose focus on what's really going on. Yes, there is a dragon-led army being built overseas and a horde of undead warriors lurking in the north, but those are only the backdrop on what is really a story about characters and how each of them view this world that contains all those things and the events that shape it. If it wasn't, then why are there so many 'character development' scenes where nothing really happens and why aren't more of the major battles shown?

So when these characters continue to be tortured, killed, neglected, betrayed, chastized, etc. it does wear you down and make you wonder what this is all for. This is not a knock against those who really like the show for the overall political and grand epic scale of it, because I like it for that too and will continue to watch it for that, but I can see where some of the criticism is coming from when people say they are done with the show because of what happened in the last episode. A bit of an overraction, but at the same time the question 'is there ever a silver lining for these characters we've gotten so close to?' is a very valid one to ask at this point.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Zachie Chan Recognized Member Ouch!'s Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Swygwyrd Eryistyrmstn (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Hosted Screenname Competitions

It's more that people watching this show (or reading the books) need to learn at a certain point that there are no happy endings. There will never be any happy endings, and even Martin has been pretty open about this from the beginning. The best we're going to get is bittersweet. It's plenty fair that people may not be interested in something so bleak as a form of escapism, but people have had three seasons to figure out what was point-blank told to us in episode six: "If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention."

That line is this entire series in a nutshell. They've been maiming and killing major characters since the word go. I'm not saying that people should have expected the Red Wedding (Martin put it in for the express purpose of subverting expectations), but people really shouldn't be surprised that a series that made its name by killing off the main character at the end of the first book/season is going to continue to kill off major characters.

If they're not used to it by now, it's probably better that they stop watching. (Almost) nobody is safe. There are a few characters who will almost certainly be alive for the final act, but there's not a single character who I can say I'm confident will be alive after the grand finale. I find that terribly exciting. If others don't, well, probably time they cut loose.

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

I actually like it. In near every story fantasy or not, the MCs can make stupid decisions and never see repercussion. Those hobbits aren't all going to die, Sauron will be defeated!

War is messy. In war, people die. In life, people die. Some don't make it out alive to live to that promised old age. That's the human element. The good guys don't always win in life. That's what I like about GRRM's books. Evil Santa shows you that gifts are just that, a gift, a gift of life. If you say or do something wrong it WILL affect you. The story WILL be affected. Sure Robb marrying for luv luv was noble but it was ultimately a stupid decision. And he paid for it.

The human element, the realistic element is that bad stuff can and does happen. People die. You may get attached to these characters but there is a reason for it. They are people, believable people at that. You should hate that they die. You should feel emotion over it. Because that's how life is. Life is hard. Representing that in a book or movie is hard. The fact that it's been accomplished is a feat of itself. You become invested in the story more. You want those damn lannisters killed for it!